Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering if they're going to eventually have to play some of the qualifiers as mini-tournaments on one or a neutral site... kind of like they did the Champions League. They are actually doing this for the Asian Champions League. And this is how they used to do the old Wordl Cup qualifiers in Asia. Final and semifinal groups just a single round-robin in a place like Doha or Malaysia (ironically where they are doing the AFC Champions League). Or... could we actually be looking at Qatar 2023 maybe? I hope not

AlbertCamus repped this.
  2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What if local laws required the player to spend 14 days in quarantine when they return before being able to rejoin their club? Losing star players for 2 weeks could be worse for business.

3. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In many cases they do. However, players were granted a free pass by European governments so its a non issue. Governments feel as often as the players are tested no need to go in quarantine mode for two weeks. A normal citizen isn't being tested as frequently as players.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That Government ruling makes very little sense, but okay...

5. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It occurred to me that if Asian, African and CONCACAF teams do not resume activity until next March, that will mean they had a 16-month lay-off between Novebmber 2019 and March 2021.

I wonder whether that will have a negative effect on their teams' development and chances in Qatar.

6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Probably, but its the same for everybody.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'd say "No" because some are playing friendlies this week and I would expect more to play friendlies next month. Then there is also the extra FIFA window in Jan 2022. Plus, presumably still Sept and Oct 2022 to schedule more friendlies. I don't think matches played 3 years before a WC have any impact on the tournament at all.

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no FIFA window in October 2022 - at present, at least, and I doubt that making an Oct-22 window is worth the cost in political capital for FIFA vis-à-vis the clubs.

As for September 2022, UEFA and Concacaf will play the last 2 matchdays of the group stage in their respective NLs in that window.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't know about the other South American teams but Colombia was able to get 25 players in Camp today and all of them tested Negative for the Virus.
    :thumbsup:

Paul Calixte repped this.
  10. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed some have arranged friendlies. Seems weird a friendly can be played accross different confederations, but not qualifiers within a confederation.

unclesox and r0adrunner repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #4211 HomietheClown, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    A crazy rumor I am hearing is something I was suggesting months ago.

Colombia may be looking into playing Uruguay in Miami 's NFL stadium with fans being allowed to attend.

I do not know how credible this rumor is but it is fun to speculate about and great to see it is not just coming from my imagination.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Update, Barranquilla has been confirmed for November, not Miami.
    (But you never know about 2021 FIFA dates and beyond.)

13. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Might make sense if other NTs followed, but really makes no sense if only one team plays their home matches in MIA and the other 9 in South America (given that everyone plays 1 home and 1 away match during each FIFA window). Sure a few extra $$ for Colombia, but would blow for visiting teams to travel to a far away country that is a bi!ch to enter, especially these days.

15. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    UEFA Preliminary Draw in Zurich on 7 December at 1800 CET.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  16. mijo34

mijo34 New Member

Hajduk
    Croatia
    May 17, 2020
    Playoff seeding will be based on the group stage record, not on fifa ranking. 6 best placed runners up will be seeded, while remaining 4 runners up plus two best nations league group winners will be unseeded. In semifinal seeded team will play against unseeded one at home. In the final no seeding will be done and home team will be drawn.

17. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Once again, the ridiculous idea of seeding the UEFA pay-offs is being maintained then.

Seeding is only meant to balance the group stage; there is no need to seed a set of play-offs when all of the teams - or in this case ten of the twelve - all achieved the same thing in round one: finishing in second place.

majspike repped this.
  18. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To protect their top teams from missing out as much as they can. FIFA lose money when the big teams miss out, but also the rankings aren't always correct which at times leads to unbalanced groups. Its nothing to get too worked up about. The reason is obvious why its done.

Every Four Years repped this.
  19. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I appreciate that, but it isn't fair and I'm suprised countries don't question it.

20. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Interesting you mention that. What about CAF? They have a group stage followed by a playoff round which decides all 5 qualifiers. Do you think they should leave their playoff draw unseeded as well? Since every team won its group and should be on level footing? Genuinely curious.

21. mijo34

mijo34 New Member

Hajduk
    Croatia
    May 17, 2020
    If playoffs are going to be seeded, let seeding be determined by first round record, not by FIFA ranking again. In this case seeding is important because of home ground field. For me, taking previous round results into consideration makes sense. The same thing should be done in Africa for the latest stage and particularly in Asia. Setting any runner up in front of any group winner from the current stage is completely
    ridiculous.

22. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, I do.

Every Four Years repped this.
  23. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Thanks for answering. I think I also tend to agree with what @mijo34 said.

IMO seeding playoffs based on rankings is a little unfair because you're effectively often punishing teams for bad results in previous cycles which have no relation to the current competition. For example, Sweden ended up qualifying for WC 2018, but they were in Pot 2 for the playoffs essentially because they missed out on 2014 (again because of a bad playoff draw) and had a crappy performance in the Euro 2016 qualis and finals.

Using group stage results is still a bit arbitrary, but at least it's in a team's control. If Bulgaria suddenly plays really well in qualifiers, they can be seeded too no matter what they did before.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    My problem with that is that you kinda reward (punish) a team twice for getting into an easier (harder) group. Imagine a second- or their-tier UEFA nation fighting their way to second place in a tough group. Chances are their final record won't be one of the better ones, nor their goal difference. On the other hand, think about Switzerland in 2018 qualifying.

But agree that seeding matters too much because of the home field. That's one thing I don't like with the Nations League - it seemed to start a tradition of single-game knockout mini-tournaments. Which is fine in a neutral setting but not when one team gets home advantage.

25. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    So interestingly enough I did go ahead and check to see if using group record would have changed anything for the last three cycles in UEFA.

2018 - no change (Switzerland, Italy, Denmark, Croatia seeds)

2014 - France replaces Croatia in Pot 1 (seeds would be France, Portugal, Greece, Ukraine)

2010 - Ukraine replaces Portugal in Pot 1 (seeds would be France, Russia, Greece, Ukraine)

Overall, the seedings remain relatively similar, which is not probably not too surprising - higher-ranked teams on average are better teams, and so they tend to perform slightly better even over a small sample of matches like this.

In 2014, using group record favors a powerhouse team that was probably unlucky not to be seeded based on FIFA rankings (France was 21st to Ukraine's 20th, and they were in a group with Spain). The perceived "better" team (France) gets seeded over a weaker 2nd-tier side (Croatia).

In 2010, interestingly enough we have the reverse dynamic. Dark horse Ukraine takes Portugal's spot in Pot 1.

So idk what to make of that. France perhaps has a somewhat easier time qualifying for Brazil (although they were pretty fortunate in real life as well to draw Ukraine), while Portugal might have had a more difficult time in 2010. Obviously it's a small sample size, but it's not clear which option favors whom.

BocaFan repped this.