Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that CONCACAF really wants the top seeds to go through. As I've said it seems to me there is already a gulf in quality between the 6 top seeds and the others, but this is handing them a pretty significant advantage as the Pot 4 and 5 teams are really weak.

BocaFan repped this.
  2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The only thing that makes it ever-so-slightly tougher for the top seeds is that the #2 seeds also host all the #3 seeds. So its still set-up to come down to that one match at the end between 2 teams with 9 points.
    If they made the #2 seeds travel away to the #3 seeds, the #1 seeds might've had more margin for error. :geek:

PabloSanDiego repped this.
  3. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good point as there is a good chance the groups will be decided in those last matches. So the opportunity will be there for the #2 seeds assuming they don't stumble before that, and I think some will.

I still think this is as good as can be hoped for with the shortened timeframe. WAY better than the absolutely unfair and uninteresting plan that was floated a few months back. For me, those Round 1 final games should be very interesting, the Round 2 head-to-head matches must-see do-or-die matches, and the new Octagonal packed with interesting games that in the end should reward the 3.5 most deserving teams.

With such a long dry spell of meaningful matches for the USMNT I am super ready for this to get started. And it'll come fast and furious with 22 meaningful matches in 12 months from March-21 to March 22 (Nations League, WCQ, Gold Cup). 7 months still to wait though.

BocaFan repped this.
  4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we take Montagliani at his word, his explanation to a Honduran TV panel - featuring Salvador Nasralla, the longtime sports broadcaster who would've won the presidency (not the Football fed, the presidency of Honduras itself!) if the election hadn't been stolen - the smaller FA's asked for a more concise schedule, as they currently don't have the funds for a prolonged WCQ campaign.

And (methinks) sure as hell weren't going to burn their budgets chasing scraps in the Tier II tournament.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am a bit confused here.
    Are you saying you were thinking Seattle but then realized that it cannot happen because they play on turf?

6. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah I almost did an edit when I posted cuz I realized I worded that poorly. Here's what I should have written:

At first I was thinking Seattle would be a good candidate for USA to host Mexico but then I realized it's right in the middle of the NFL regular season so the difficulty of installing grass and getting it set (not sure how long that takes) between Seahawks games probably precludes it.

I suppose it can be done but there are other easier options for that match, like what will be the brand new MLS stadium in Columbus.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Or the nice MLS stadium in Minnesota.

8. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like that too, more than Columbus. I'm seriously considering continuing straight on to Jamaica for the second match that window, so one consideration is the most efficient starting point to get to Jamaica the fastest the morning after the Mexico match. I doubt that's much of a consideration for the schedulers though, even though the team has to make the same trip.

9. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potential USMNT venues for qualification
    USA v. B/E winner likely Canada @ Atlanta, GA Mercedes-Benz Stadium
    USA v. Jamaica @ Sandy, UT Rio Tinto Stadium
    USA v. Costa Rica @ Saint Paul, MN Allianz Field
    USA v. Mexico @ Columbus, OH Mapfre Stadium or New Columbus Crew Stadium
    USA v. A/F winner likely Trinidad and Tobago @ Kansas City, KS Children's Mercy Park
    USA v. Honduras @ Orlando, FL Exploria Stadium
    USA v. C/D winner likely Panama @ Washington, DC Audi Field

I feel like US Soccer will try to cash in on one of these qualifiers like they usually do with a big NFL stadium. I feel like the lowest risk is facing Canada this cycle. You don't want to create a road game so it can't be Mexico or Central American fanbase who will swallow up tickets. Matchday 1 is likely at Trinidad and Tobago so not a ton of travel going from T&T to Atlanta plus we also have to keep in mind travel to Matchday 3 which is at Honduras since we will be playing 4 qualifiers in June 2021. I see NFL stadium options are Atlanta, Chicago and Seattle. Also keep in mind you can't use those NFL stadiums in September, October, November and January because of the NFL. Add to that you don't want to use those stadiums against Mexico or a Central American fanbase and that's why I selected Atlanta in June of 2021 against Canada. The only other option is on Matchday 4 against Jamaica for a big NFL stadium that meets the criteria I've stated before. The other one that was tricky for me was against Honduras January of 2022. You are playing at Azteca the following match against Mexico. Its January so you have to be somewhere where you can properly train and play the match. Against Honduras normally you are thinking a colder climate, but given these factors I picked Orlando.

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4110 Paul Calixte, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    If it ends up being Haiti, OTOH, you do not want that game anywhere on the East Coast or in the South :ROFLMAO: Houston or Dallas would be better. Honestly, for Canada as well - do you really want that game in a cavernous NFL stadium? 25-30k at the MBS would look awful.

Playing Honduras in FL? That's an away game just waiting to happen :p

We could either give them the winter wonderland treatment in Colorado (and get a headstart on adjusting to altitude), or take advantage of the particular weather in the PNW to have more reliable outdoor training facilities. Panama(?) OTOH we can play in Orlando again just to mess with their heads and get used to the weather they'll face in Costa Rica.

11. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously if it's Haiti it's not in Atlanta. You think only 25-30K buy tickets if it's in Atlanta against Canada? Not sure about that. US Soccer was getting over 50K in Chicago for qualifiers over a decade ago. Sport is way bigger now. I can see your point on Honduras. As stated above that was a tricky one. The way US Soccer does Tix kinda ensures a mostly pro USMNT crowd in the MLS stadiums, buy I see your point.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I mentioned this in the USA forum but I would personally pick:

Canada in Orlando.
    Jamaica in Utah
    Costa Rica in Kansas City
    Mexico in Minnesota.
    El Salvador in Cincinnati/Columbus
    Honduras in San Jose.
    Panama in Colorado.

13. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I'd wonder is about the new stadiums that will be finished during qualification like Cincinnati and Austin? Another venue is Portland, I think it t would be great but could they get real grass in there? I think the obvious ones are finding a date for Minnesota, Kansas City, Columbus and DC. I think DC is overlooked. We've had good success at RFK. It's just been a while since they've had an actual useable stadium. Fanbase there has been great. After those 4, the others I think can be debated.

HomietheClown repped this.
  14. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    You think it would be that bad? Atlanta United pulls quite well from what I've heard.

voiceoflg repped this.
  15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, bigger football minds than myself have been wrong about Atlanta before - maybe we get a crowd like USA/Panama in Seattle.

The sport is bigger, no doubt. The USMNT, OTOH? Enthusiasm hasn't been this low since '98. IIRC the US didn't even break 10k for that Nations League match against Canada in Orlando...WCQ is obviously more important, but unless we get our mojo back in the Nations League finals (at this point, just winning the thing will do the trick, even if we have to hang on for dear life against Mexico), I'm afraid that first home game won't be the hot ticket we'd normally expect.

16. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    First meaningful game since 2014 WC + nothing but social distance hiking for all of 2020 = hot ticket for world cup qualifying no matter who they are playing if prices are reasonable (I know, that is a big IF).

Paul Calixte repped this.
  17. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  18. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the article he makes some good points. Forgot about the whole Field Turf thing. Knowing US Soccer I just see them trying to cash out on one of those June qualifiers in a big NFL stadium. My question is after one bad result to we completely abandon the Columbus thing? The new stadium should be ready to go by then. My other question different from the article is what NFL stadiums and cities with grass would be good for US Soccer. Chicago, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Las Vegas....I'm just asking? Would any of these cities venues do 50k plus against a Canada or Caribbean side?

19. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asia has cancelled qualifiers the rest of 2020. There are 4 remaining matchdays this round. Plus 10 matchdays next round. Plus 2 matchdays after that for an Asian playoff. Plus 2 matchdays after that for the international playoff. I'm not sure there is time left for qualification without a modification to the process. Surely you can't modify the rulesin the middle of a round either.

March 2021 Rd 2 Matchday 7-8
    June 2021 Rd 2 Matchday 9-10
    September 2021 Rd 3 Matchday 1-2
    October 2021 Rd 3 Matchday 3-4
    November 2021 Rd 3 Matchday 5-6
    January 2022 Rd 3 Matchday 7-8
    March 2022 Rd 3 Matchday 9-10
    June 2022 International Playoffs

To me they've got two options maybe 3. Option A is eliminate Rd 4 which is the Asian playoff for the half spot and just give it to the best 3rd place team from Round 3 or Option B after Round 2 finishes immediately have a draw for Round 3 and schedule Matchday 1-2 in June 2021. The logistics of that in Asia might be beyond the realm of possibility. The only other way Option C is cramming 3 Matchdays in two of the Round 3 windows and in Asia with the travel that could be difficult.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Round 3 only needs 6 matchdays (3 groups of 4). So the playoffs could begin as early as Jan 2022. Although they might choose to spread round 3 out over a longer period to reduce the travel burden.

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't the AFC get an extra week in June 2021? OTOH it would be mad impractical to have a week of games, conduct a draw for the Final Round and play the first 2 matchdays of said round in the same two weeks.

22. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a change of format. I was talking about under the currently planned format.

23. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, exactly that's the point. It would be very hard to do that so with these recent cancellations using all 4 matchdays is almost impossible.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Ah okay. I thought they already decided to make that change.

25. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I think Australia already has June 2021 games on:
    June 11 v Uruguay
    July 16 v Paraguay
    July 19 v Bolivia
    June 22 v Argentina
    July 27 v Chile
    Plus
    Possible 4 July (less likely 2/3 Muly)
    Plus