Qatar 2022 [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Quakes05, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    congrats to you, Matias, @bostero24 and Argentina fans everywhere. had to work today and still haven't been able to watch it. just about to now. impossible not to know the outcome ahead of time though...wonderful to see the already iconic pics of Messi lifting the cup! :cool:

bostero24 repped this.
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next up: FIFA World Cup games in Levi’s Stadium. :inlove:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]
    GO USA!!! [​IMG]
    VAI BRASIL!!! [​IMG]

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    MgBappe.jpg

Mbappe wins the Golden Boot with 8 goals. Scores a hat-trick in the final and buries his PK in the shoot-out, incredible.

bostero24 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow I don’t remember ever hearing that before. Would be easy to double-check, I guess.

6. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bostero24, Quakes05, markmcf8 and 3 others repped this.
  7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I sure hope Messi doesn’t come to MLS. Would be like watching an immortal living in a pig pen.

So amazing that team held together. The GK of course was key. And in 4 years, I guess Mbappe will be truly unstoppable.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just imagine Luchi Gonzalez coaching both Lionel Messi and Kylian Mbappé for the Blue/Black/Blue this season. :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]
    GO USA!!! [​IMG]
    VAI BRASIL!!! [​IMG]

-G

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

10. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I won't forgive Fox for cutting away from the game way too soon. Sure they put up a little sign to tune into FS1 to watch the cup lifting but who the hell actually noticed that? We were all celebrating Argentina's victory and eating donuts. Next thing we know we're watching some infomercial (many people said Fox cut to a football game but for me it was fund raiser informercial). Nothing against fund raisers and it seemed like a worthy cause but the World Cup comes once every 4 years and for a million other reasons it was wrong for Fox to cut away.

Screw you Fox - I've already canceled my YouTube TV and with the money I'll save I'm subscribing to MLS Season Pass. I never need to hear Alexi Lalas and Rob Stone again. I never need to worry about Fox disrespecting soccer again.

11. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I would like to hear from our in-house referees on how the ref'ing went in the final. I didn't even seem to notice the referee too much which is probably the best thing I can say.

Not one single VAR or off side 3d the entire game. Of course behind the scenes those things were in use I'm sure and I did actually see the off side 3d for one of Argentina's goals (on-side by a butt) but the game was not slowed down at all (at least not that I noticed).

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd say overall he did a good job. The first penalty was just a little bit dicey, but I see those (clip of a dragging foot) called all the time. I'm sure the French are feeling hard-done, but really can't see that anybody was favored at least in this game.

Otherwise, after Collina and this guy, I think to retain any credibility as a ref I am going to have to shave my head (and eyebrows...)

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

xbhaskarx repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1114 falvo, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022

Seriously!

I really don't get their reasoning.

In listening to today's sports broadcasts, hardly anyone is mentioning the World Cup Final!

It's time these biased sportscasters get on board with supporting soccer because soccer is here to stay!

Even though our Quakes suck, MLS has become huge growing from 10 clubs in 2004, 16 in 2010 and 29 across the USA and Canada in 2023!

Each club now either owns or controls their own stadium and most franchises are worth from $500 to almost $$800 million dollars.

I lived in Europe and I know how clubs work.

Aside form the elite, Champions League teams, the rest have 1, 2 or 3 good years, have a bad one, get relegated and go belly up.

Taking away maybe the same top 6-7 winning clubs in each league like the Serie A, EPL, Ligue 1, La Liga and Bundesliga, I don’t 't think there is any league on earth that has grown as much and in such a short period of time as MLS.

Let's get on board sports fans!

It’s time these biased sportscasters get on board as soccer here is here to stay!

[​IMG]

Quakes05 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #1115 Quakes05, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    I wasn’t sure if my DVR just ran out of recording time somehow, or if FOX cutaway before the trophy presentation. If they cutaway before the trophy presentation, that’s ridiculous. And they know better. Imagine cutting away before the Super Bowl trophy was handed out - would never happen.

anyway that’s one the the best (if the not THE best) parts of the whole completion and I was disappointed not to be able to see it.

Edit…ahh, just read your post more carefully, they said switch over to FS1…completely ridiculous especially for those of us watching on delay.

markmcf8 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  16. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Yeah, total disrespect for the game at it's biggest moment. For people watching live it was a major annoyance to flip to FS1. For me I was watching with about a 10 minute buffer which means I missed the moment they carried Messi around the stadium before I figured out I needed to switch to FS1. For others like your self who had to watch it recorded missed the whole thing. Fox purposefully gut punched soccer fans. It was an intentional insult to the sport. As you say they would never have done this for the Super Bowl.

Watching Messi win a World Cup is something I wanted to happen more than anything but I never dreamed it ever would happen. Then like a miracle it happens and I missed a chunk of the celebration because Fox doesn't care about soccer or its fans.

I've just learned that FIFA has given Fox the 2026 World Cup rights and that makes me feel sick.

PS. most of the post game celebrations can be found on YouTube.

Quakes05 repped this.
  17. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    I read in multiple media apps about fox doing this. Pathetic. Here in S. America (I'm in Chile for the moment) they showed about 3 hrs straight after the world cup, barley cutting to commercial so the audience wouldn't miss everything going on afterwards.
    Then again it's the states, money+capitalism comes first in everything over there. God forbid the networks don't make their millions. They've already got your money, they don't care.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to watch on delay because, oddly, I don’t get Fox. In any case the rebroadcast cut away *before* the final PK!! I had to pull it up on youtube to watch the end.

I’m annoyed. Should have gone to a bar to watch it live. I’ll do better next time.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  19. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    You're shitting me?!? Unbelievable. I get soccer is not the most popular sport in the states, but imagine them cutting to comercial on a game winning field goal or something. People would riot. The disrespect and smugness the media shows towards soccer is truly sad.

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wasn’t Fox telecasting NFL immediately afterward in most the US? FS1 is suitable for the ceremonial stuff.

Much ado about nothing re the postgame.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Unless you weren’t watching in real time, then it wasn’t very good because you likely missed all the post game celebration, the trophy presentation, etc. Weak by FOX who should know better.

Scott Rohde and bostero24 repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I watched the game in real time at O'Flaherty's downtown. The game ended and I went home. Because I didn't give two shits about the post-game celebration.

Same thing on Saturday night after the Bills won on NFL network. I watched the game, and when it ended I turned off the TV. If they ever win the Super Bowl in my lifetime, probably same. Why waste my time with silliness?

bsman repped this.
  23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    one man’s silliness may be another man’s joy. imagine that. :)

markmcf8 and bostero24 repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That’s why God created FS1. :)

9AD42B80-7B44-4C56-B30B-B791E6399DC7.jpeg
    Exterior of garage man cave.

25. falvo