Qatar 2022 - Game Tickets Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Jan 19, 2022.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Couple notes as I'm scanning this. (Looks pretty similar to previous cups). Reminder Group Draw is April 3rd.

- 1st phase (Random Draw) starts today and goes thru Feb 8. It's not 1st come 1st serve. Can pick random games, unknown teams. Results given by March 8th.

During this initial random (unknown teams) selection phase there are 4 types of tickets. (All same as before except 1 modified grouping)

1) Individual Game: select any specific game

2) Team Speficic (TST): pick a team and get all their games in group stage

3) Four Stadium Tix (new this time): like previous years where you could select Stadium Specific, since all stadiums are so close you can "sample the atmosphere" of 4 different stadiums on different days.

4) Accessible tix. No change​

- 2nd random phase: prior to the group draw (April 3rd) there will be another lottery, sometime in March. Similar to 1st phase.

- 3rd Phase: will occur after the teams/games are announced. It will include these:

1) Supporters Tickets: to sit with team fans in group stage. We will assume this part will be managed by each individual Federation as in the past.

2) Conditional Supporters: for knock out rounds and after.​

- Same Day Multiple Game Tix: unlike in the past, they will allow you to buy tickets to multiple games/stadiums on the same day. It won't be back to back games given travel logistics but the 1st game of day and then last game of day, since all in different stadiums but in same city. Kinda cool.

- Ticket Max: improved from previous. Household can buy 6 tix for individual game and 60 tix total for tourney.

- Hay’ya Card (Fan ID): like Russia. Required for entry into Qatar, into stadium, and for free gameday travel and benefits.

- Category 4 same as before, only Qataris eligible. Price is $10 USD

I'll keep digging around. Good stuff so far.

MarkoC and ceezmad repped this.
  3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Prices are similar to previous and I think very reasonable...

Listed in Qarari Rial (about 3.6 to 1 USD)

Screenshot_20220119-182644_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220119-182629_Gallery.jpg

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    For those that want a higher end experience and guaranteed ticket. FIFA is doing their hospitality packages again. Gets you Cat 1 game ticket (face is $220) plus all the before and after catering and service. Starting at $950 per person.

https://hospitality.fifa.com/2022/en/e-commerce/buy-packages

5. ameeriklane

ameeriklane Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Thanks for this information. The first week of matches is the week of Thanksgiving. I'm still thinking of putting my name in for TST USA tickets. I guess it's a pretty high chance I'll miss out on at least one of the games if I can't make it to Qatar until after Thanksgiving though. I wonder how easy it would be to resell tickets I can't use.

6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    TST USA is a smart idea. Though ideally you get it thru the supporters window to ensure you sit with the group.. but just getting tix is more important. There will be high demand.

Here's the resell/transfer option. Both worked well last time and with demand you shouldn't have much issue.

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/news/ticket-resale-fwc22

ameeriklane repped this.
  7. ameeriklane

ameeriklane Member

Dec 18, 2013
    My friends prefer to make last-minute decisions but I'd like to sit with them for the games. Here's what I'm thinking:

TST USA tickets for 2-3 people
    Four Stadium tickets for 2-3 people, on dates after Thanksgiving so I know I'll be there. This is the key to Four Stadium tickets -- you can choose the dates.

I suspect at least one USA game would be before Thanksgiving so I'm unlikely to make it, but I think I can easily sell those at face value.

The Four Stadium is more risky if you end up with two teams with not a lot of supporters, but I'm ready to take that risk. In Russia and Brazil I got venue-specific tickets before the team draws and got some pretty good games in the set each time.

What are my risks here? One is I'm fronting a lot of $$ to FIFA by buying tickets now but I can handle that. The other is with Four Stadium, I end up with some games I don't want to see but I can handle that and at worse case I bet I can unload for below face value.

Would FIFA impose some limit on the amount of tickets I can unload on their official site? Everything would be at face value or below, so it's not like I'm scalping and making money from it. As I read it, I can also unload some of my block of tickets, so if I buy 3 tickets and one friend can't make it, I can just get rid of one of the tickets.

8. ameeriklane

ameeriklane Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Reminder that the deadline to get your lottery application in is 2/8. That could be Qatari time (not sure), so best to get it in by Monday to be sure.

I put my application in for USA TST3. By doing so, it does not let you also put in an application for Four Stadium tickets. I've asked a friend to try and book those so that we can get to see some non-US games also.

NNNJJJ and wixson7 repped this.
  9. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are their any fundamental differences between the FIFA TST tickets and the supporter tickets issued by USSF? I’d prefer the former over the latter for scheduling purposes.

What are your opinions on general demand for USMNT tickets for Qatar? (Big assumption that we even qualify; I still remember my heart being shattered back 2017)

10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    #10 wixson7, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    It kinda sucks how they do the TST vs the Federation allotment. in essence there will be 6 blocks of USA fans in the stadium, all in separate locations (TST Cat 1,2,3 and then USSF Cat 1, 2, 3). You'd think they put all the 1, 2, 3 together but they don't. You'd think a USA TST is similar demographics (big fan of that specific team) and they'd put the Fed allotment in the same sections but traditionally they haven't.

I think it will be pretty high demand. Each Fed gets X% of the stadium allotment (let's say 6% of capacity), so the bigger the stadium the higher # of tix the Fed will have to allocate. The Fed will definitely do lottery based on priority for their allocation, and that won't be until this summer.

Sections won't be communicated until much closer to the tournament, so we won't have any idea outside of Cat 1, 2 or 3 for a general idea on stadium location. And even then the Cat locations are pretty willy nilly.

11. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I think the demand for USSF tickets will be fairly tepid. In my unscientific polling of fellow US fans and other soccer friends, probably 90% have little interest in going to Qatar. Even in Brazil, tickets were readily available in the US section for the Portugal and especially the Ghana match (people giving tickets away at the US Soccer events the days before). And the Brazil World Cup had a much higher demand from more casual US soccer fans and just general US sports fans (the Olympics crowd).

USSF section tickets for the group stage match against the Pot A team will be a tougher ticket, unless it’s against a team like Belgium, Switzerland, or Qatar instead of Brazil or France. The other matches should be low demand, in my opinion.

Anyway, I plan to wait and apply for the conditional USSF section tickets, since I have Insider status and there are a lot more available versus the TSTs.

MarkoC and NNNJJJ repped this.
  12. ameeriklane

ameeriklane Member

Dec 18, 2013
    First round of ticket allocation announcements will be around March 8. I put in for US TST so I'll report back how it goes. I believe in previous WCs, Americans were the #1 ticket purchasers of any country except the host country, so I think even the first round TST batch will be in high demand.

13. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always took that stat with a grain of salt due to the large immigrant population in the US. Ie: could be Mexicans in the US applying for Mexico tix.

Americans in this case does not equate to fans of the USMNT.

NNNJJJ and soccer_23 repped this.
  14. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Precisely. Those stats report the home address of the ticket buyer, not the team they support (via TST or federation tickets).

15. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    General question for those that went to SA and Brazil - how easy was it to get US TSTs from FIFA vs the match-specific individual tickets?

16. WST Ipswich

WST Ipswich Member

Ipswich Town
    May 5, 2006
    Berkshire, UK
    Here we go again…. I wonder if we will find out tomorrow. Seems like we probably will otherwise not sure why they would use the date (8 March) at all. Excuse my laziness but did they announce how many applications they had in this phase and how many oversold etc.? I only went for SFx2 and Final for this first ballot.

17. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/me...-world-cup-qatar-2022-tm-tickets-during-first

18. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I think you're asking about only the US TSTs versus tickets for each of the US matches individually. I don't have experience with the TSTs, as I've never applied for or bought them. But the individual match availability depends largely on the opponent (the US itself is never a hot ticket). And in other World Cups, the host city of the match would normally factor into the individual match demand as well (Rio/Cape Town vs Natal), but obviously that's not a factor this time.
    Since you asked about Brazil, I can tell you tickets for the Ghana match were easy (there were empty rows), Portugal was a bit harder, and Germany was difficult. I saw lots of US fans giving away extra tickets for Ghana, a few for Portugal, and none for Germany. The Belgium knockout game was also easy (I don't think it was a sellout).

You didn't mention the "conditional supporters" tickets, which are similar to TSTs but with the key distinction of being distributed by US Soccer instead of FIFA. To my knowledge there are significantly more of these tickets available versus the FIFA TSTs - it's a percentage of the stadium capacity, probably around 15-20% for every match the US plays in. These are all in one block (but three prices categories), in the upper left or right corner on TV depending on whether the US is designated as home or away. If past experience holds, US Soccer will distribute these in a weighted lottery, same as for the recent home qualifiers. If you join the paid Premium Insider program now, you'll increase your chances of a successful application.

In the ticket phases following the draw, you'll be able to apply for the supporters tickets in the same fashion as the FIFA TSTs (applying for between one and seven possible matches). Importantly, anything beyond the group stage is "conditional", and you'll get tickets for that match only if the US advances to that round. For Brazil, you could requests different amounts for each match within the package. I got 4 for the group stage matches and requested only 1 for the knockouts, since the rest of my friends were going home regardless.

19. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. I will try to get US-specific matches if I can’t get the TST from FIFA. I prefer the TST route:

1) I am not a paid USSF insider (though I support the youth level programs) and I dont think signing up now would make sense. I’ll be behind the many other members with years of tenure and, thus, will be at the bottom of the weighted draw for the conditional supporter tickets.

2) The supporter tickets wont be made available until the coming months. Personally, I want to lock down tickets / hotels / flights as soon as possible. Hence, I prioritize the FIFA window more than USSF.

soccer_23 and wixson7 repped this.
  20. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014

Good points. The only thing I’ll add on this front is that joining the Premium Insiders now (even the $45 one) would still place you in a higher bucket for the lottery. I think you’d be in Bucket C, out of A through E, if they maintain the same structure. Could be something to consider if the FIFA TSTs fall through.

GoalGoalUSA repped this.
  21. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any ideas from past experience how many tickets each Insider will be able to apply for? I see from today's USSF email re: the upcoming WCQ in Mexico that we can apply for 2 tickets each. I'm new to the Insiders. Is 2 tickets the norm, or might the WC applications allow for more tix?

22. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014

A limit of 4 has been standard for the past few World Cups, both for FIFA and federation tickets, to the best of my knowledge. But the first round of ticketing this time allowed for up to 6. Granted, that was FIFA and not the federations, who might be able to set their own limits. I think 4 would be a good bet.

wixson7 and NNNJJJ repped this.
  23. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair. Any idea when USSF will do their lottery for conditional tix? May have to go that route if things dont go as planned.

24. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    In the last few World Cups, it was draw in December, federation application window in January, results in February. So maybe April/May? Things are a bit compressed this time.

Importantly, while USSF is in charge of the distribution, applications and everything are still done only through the FIFA portal.

25. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. One last thing - why do you think I’d be in Bucket C out of E assuming I become an insider member now?