Qatar 2022 - Air/Car/Train/Boat Travel

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Jan 19, 2022.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    The doners are so tasty!

2. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    how long of a layover at IST do you reckon is needed for a trip into the city?

3. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hoping to have at least 8 hours of sightseeing, couple meals. Both airports appear to be roughly an hour from the city center by taxi, and then factoring in immigration and airport security on either end... That adds up. So with arrival at 5pm I'm going to stay the night, wake up for sightseeing and either book an evening flight out (assuming I can leave bags with hotel) or a second night

4. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there many years ago, but remember traffic being pretty bad. You will probably want plenty of cushion.

5. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Also remember the new IST airport is much farther out from the city than the old Atatürk one. Maybe there’s a train?

6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Nice positive developments.... details coming soon.

Introducing the Match Day Shuttle for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022TM. We can't wait to see you in Doha for #Qatar2022.

Learn more at https://t.co/9zHT7Z1hPe. @RoadTo2022En @Saudi_Airlines @KuwaitAirways @OmanAir #FlyDubai https://t.co/2RfqIKT9uJ

MarkoC, NNNJJJ and Palermo10 repped this.
  7. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Internet tells me they are constructing the metro to the airport and it should be done later this year. So hopefully that is a viable option at around 30min each way

soccer_23 repped this.
  8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Flydubai has their matchday shuttle schedule up. Cheap flights and great time slots. Pretty much every hour and flies out of the smaller DWC instead of DXB.

I got full refund from Qatar Air from previously purchased flights, and they just moved me to departure times that are insanely bad. Win win.

MarkoC, NNNJJJ and TRUEAGGIE repped this.
  9. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much better flight times. QR moved all of my flights out of DXB to 3:40am - looks like they havent loaded knockout round flights in yet though

wixson7 repped this.
  10. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I have never flown into the new Istanbul Airport, only the old Ataturk Airport. We did a 7 hour stopover 4 years ago flying from Chicago/Vienna to Istanbul and then out to Yerevan. We saw the replay of the Michael Bradley goal in Azteca on an airport TV! It was easy to do a short stopover for 7 hours. Looks like no rail connection yet, but it must be coming because Turkey has been on a rail and infrastructure binge in recent years. Internet sources tell me the new airport is a 50 minute taxi ride each way with a fare of at least 40 dollars each way, to get to the delightful Sultanahmet area of the city, ground zero for tourists. You can do a lot in 2-3 hours in Sultanahmet, visit the Blue Mosque (called Sultanahmet), Hagia Sofiia, the famous church, now a mosque, near the Blue Mosque. There ae many places to eat. A famous place is the Lale Restaurant, everyone knows it as the Pudding Shop. In the heart of Sultanahmet, it because the spiritual center of the hippie backpackers who began migrating from Istanbul to Katmandu in the sixties. Good but a bit overpriced, there was a great steam table cafeteria next door, the Can Restaurant, that was better. Nobody does cafeterias better than the Turks.

Palermo10 repped this.
  11. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Galaxian and NNNJJJ repped this.
  12. AyanO

AyanO Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Apr 22, 2005
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So i have tickets for USA vs Iran, and plan to base myself in Dubai and fly in for the game.. I searched on momondo and saw that Qatar Airways is doing daily flights from DWC (the other dubai airport, the so called white elephant), that would get me there to the game on the 29th and then back to Dubai at 8:10am on the 30th...

strange these flights are not loaded on AA, or Qatar Website, but i could book on some "travel2be" website. it has flight numbers even(QR 3193 going, 3174 coming back), and plane make (A330-900NEO... a NICE new plane)

Any travel experts/agency people find anything more about this... oh its $250 RT so very affordable considering all and anything..

13. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw those recently as well but your best bet is to book the matchday shuttles on FlyDubai. They also leave from DWC for the same $258 price - I am actually not sure if those "Qatar Airways" fights are real or a computer glitch and are actually the FlyDubai shuttles.

We are booked on the 15:40 11/29 with return 4:20 on 11/30

AyanO repped this.
  14. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar Airways is one of the airlines participating in the cheap Match Day Shuttle flights. There are stay limits, and no checked baggage. See here for Qatar Airways's official page on it: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/match-day-shuttle.html

AyanO repped this.
  15. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am not going to Qatar. However, I clicked that link. It seems that using Muscat, Oman as the base is the most economical way to attend this World Cup. A cursory search led to hotels at under $25/night and round trip airfares under $1000 from San Francisco to Muscat. Then these shuttles or even cheaper round trips to Doha in the low $200 range.

Have fun and good luck.

wixson7 and NNNJJJ repped this.
  16. AyanO

AyanO Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Apr 22, 2005
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the direct link with the Qatar airways website explaining things.. this will make basing myself in Dubai a bit easier and less stress for sure.

NNNJJJ repped this.
  17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Fly Dubai is handling the matchday shuttles into UAE. Qatar is running the Oman ones and Kuwait Air and Saudi Air are handling there. Check out the fly dubai link. Needs to be a return within 24 hours, no luggage. Super cheap and still looks to be most flight times available.

https://www.flydubai.com/en/offers/match-day-shuttle-flights-to-doha

18. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure? I believe Qatar Airways is also handling some Match Day Shuttles into UAE (DWC airport).

19. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there 11/22-12/2 with matchday shuttle flights for ENG and IRN. My buddy will be there with his family so I'll look to fill some time sightseeing, watching games, and maybe playing golf. Let me know if you're getting into anything interesting that I should join!

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    I'm 32% sure. Ha. Sounds right, both Fly Dubai and Qatar Air look to have those shuttles to/ from UAE.

NNNJJJ repped this.
  21. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone seen/heard anything about parking at games? Only game that my group is considering driving to is the England game as the expectation is that transit is going to bad.

22. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have been waiting for the same info. The official WC site says parking will be available at each stadium, but it provides no detail as to what that means, how much parking there will be, if the parking will be available to normal people, or how bad the traffic will be. Over in the main WC thread, a local said we should expect a lot of road closures etc., so I am not sure how well it will work out to drive. I assume those details will come out eventually.

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  23. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! Guess we'll hold tight.

NNNJJJ repped this.
  24. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Match Day Shuttle definitely works. I just booked our family from DWC airport (Dubai) to come in for the USA-IRN match using flyDubai. Both flyDubai and Qatar Airways are flying the Match Day Shuttle from DWC. But flyDubai seems to have a lot more frequencies than Qatar Airways, and the way they have timed the flights, it's easy to max out your 24 hours. We'll do one night in a cruise ship hotel instead of pulling an all-nighter (as I mentioned in another thread).