Put Soccer Players in Texas Sports Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by VioletCrown, Jul 31, 2002.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    I really have no doubt whatsoever that if anybody gets into the Texas Hall of Fame it should be Kyle Rote Jr. before any of those people you just mentioned. I'll be happy to have hometown kids Overbeck and Agoos get in. Tatu doesn't play the beautiful game, but a mutation, so I don't even put him in the same category. Deering--probably not. Jason Kreis should be a shoe-in in about 10-12 years.

3. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    Kreis 100x more than Deering, for what he's done to the local soccer scene.

Tatu, even though an indoor player, still deserves to be there for keeping soccer alive here for many, many years.

And I would put Jago in there too.

4. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Amen to Kyle Rote Jr. I'm actually quite surprised he is not already in because when I was just a youngster he was a fairly big name in a much less crowded Metroplex sports scene.

5. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    How does this happen?

At the bottom of the Sidekicks recently released schedule is this little beauty.

[/b]All games are on Fox Sports 1190 AM[/b]

It is too bad the Burn cannot bring enough to the table to get that kind of coverage.

La locura rojinegra.

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: How does this happen?

No Sidekicks games on TV. I'm sure that if the Burn had a TV-less existence, they'd have more games on the radio.

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incidentally, the soccer figures to go in right now should be Kyle Rote Jr., Tatu, and Gordon Jago.

For much of the '80s and the early '90s, Tatu really represented soccer in Dallas-Ft. Worth. You could walk down the street around here, and even if they could only name two soccer players, those names would be Pele and Tatu. And of course, Rote helped lay the foundation for all of this back in the '70s. Finally, Jago has been a giant for the game behind the scenes, even if most of his work was in indoor soccer.

Maybe in a few years, Kreis, Agoos, and Deering could join them.

8. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    And where would any of these people have been if the Tornado had never existed. Lamar Hunt

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet that Lamar Hunt is already in it.