Purdy to Academica

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Jan 4, 2006.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just heard that Steve Purdy (U-20'3 and Cal) has signed or will sign will Academica in Portugal. I'm searching for info, so if anyonw could help it would be appreciated.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Great catch.

Seems like a pretty big deal. He's a big guy (6' 3") who is leaving after just his sophomore season. He was an ESP player and was on the outskirts of the last U-20 group.

College bio:
    http://calbears.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/purdy_steve02.html

[​IMG]

Also, perhaps notably, wasn't on Buzz' Generation Adidas target list.

This is Kenny Cooper's old club, right?

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Isn't that where Kenny Cooper went on loan?

Sachin

5. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    That is correct. This is the same club that took Cooper on loan. Academica is currently 14th (out of 18 teams) in the league, one point outside of the drop zone.

The article on the club's website suggests that he is on trial, not signed, with the club.

6. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Actually, Purdy was a junior. Every time I've seen him play, he's looked like a heck of a prospect ... strong in the air with excellent footskills for a big guy. Then again, he was only named second-team all-Pac-10 this year.

7. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rongin brought him in to the U20's to strengthen the backline. When Sigi took over, he was never heard from again. He did well in his brief time with the U20's though and seems like a good kid. I wonder what his connection in Portugal is.

8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Maybe he should contact Cooper at Man Utd for the inside skinny before he signs a contract (if they offer him one)

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Woops, my bad.

10. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays for Cal, not UCLA. Not really that surprising is it??? ;)

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Not to be the NCAA rules wonk - again! - but if Purdy is on trial anywhere this winter odds are he's going pro.

Because, it's against NCAA rules for a DI player to train/trial/practice/tryout with a pro team during the academic year.

The NCAA counts that as from the beginning of the first day of class in the fall till the end of the last final in the spring.

If Purdy's overthere, he's looking for a job, ASAP and odds are he has a pretty good assurance the team is pretty interested in him.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    And maybe he as a GenAd offer?

13. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    He was injuried from the first camp. He plays as a right back.

14. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    For Cal he played as a d-mid and a center back. I suspect that his future is in central defense.

15. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Another interesting dynamic to consider here is that there have been rumors in the Portuguese and English press that Liverpool may be interested in signing one of Academica's young centerbacks, Ze Castro. I am not suggesting that Purdy is in Coimbra to plug that potential hole, but..... :D :D

16. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Purdy, Wahl and Kronberg were quite clearly the foundation of the Cal defense. With Wahl and Kronberg graduating, it may not be surprising that Steve would look to do so.

As I think I posted before, with Purdy back there, Wahl was not afraid to seize on many opportunities to push up on the attack, and vice versa. Purdy's strength made Wahl look even better and vice versa.

I think he will do quite well wherever he is next year. Good luck, Steve!

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is there any actual news on this?

18. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    I'll just add that he is phyiscally imposing and he actually played left centerback for the U-20s. FWIW, his balls skills seemed average compared to Valentin (no speed) and Sturgis. He allowed his teammates do the bulk of the passing out of the back.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm searching for a little more info on Steve. I'm trying to find if he actually signed or is on trial. If anyone could help out, I'd very much appreciate it. Academica's site doesn't have any updates on his situation as far as I can tell but it in Portugese so I was searching for his name. Upon doing my research about his college/youth international experience most people have suggested that he's a fine, stay at home defender, that doesn't venture forward often. I've gathered he takes control and organizes the backline and is good in the air. Not a spectular player but a steady, techincally sound defender. I really hope he makes it at Academica as it would be great opportunity to grow and gain experience in a good Euro league.

20. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    No doubt about it.

I suppose if he doesn't sign he could go into a weighted lottery???

Last year Jed Zayner sat out 4 matches as penalty for doing what Steve is doing (and not signing with Nice).

21. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    This article says that Purdy is still training with the team, and I think that's all it says. Since classes are underway in Berkeley, he's probably gone.

http://www.diariocoimbra.pt/11771.htm

22. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    If for some reason he doesn't catch on with Academica, he and his agent might look to the other end of the Iberian peninsula in the form of Alaves. They are a struggling La Liga side whose owner, Dmitry Piterman (Ukranian born, mostly American bred) was a track and field star at Cal-Berkeley.

Piterman brought Alaves to the Bay Area/Northern California in August to train. I am willing to bet he would give Purdy a shot, especially with Alaves foundering at the bottom of La Liga.

23. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if this guy is related to Mark Purdy at the San Jose Mercury News? I guess it's too late for someone at the Merc with a direct soccer tie to help the Quakes.

24. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    I could be wrong but if my parsing of Portugese is correct, nothing has come of this tryout for Steve Purdy. There also was a 24 year old Cypriot on trial who did not pan out.

Maybe Steve can catch on with Alaves (even as developmental/reserve player if allowed under FIFA/UEFA/La Liga rules). As a fellow U.C. Berkeley athlete, I am sure Piterman would give him a fair shot.

And with Alaves winning a couple of games recently, Steve could be a valuable backup central defender to help push Alaves out of the relegation zone.

Or is it too late for any European team to sign him, even as a developmental/reserve player, based on the transfer window closing on January 31?

I wonder if his NCAA eligibility is completely gone or if it could it be a partial (x number of games) eligibility loss.

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been trying to follow up on my intial findings of Purdy's trial. But have come up empty thus far. Most don't come home stateside after a one trial. I feel sure if it didn;t work out he's exploring other options abroad. Since he's not attached to a club, it is my understanding he could sign outside the window. I would say his eligibility is shot.