Puma - suck or rock?

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by landino, Oct 20, 2004.

1. landino

landino New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Their players, their boots, their ads, their whole...thing. What's
    good, what's bad, what's ugly?

And what have they done for football anyway?

Doing a little research here to hopefully improve their advertising in
    the future - whether that means doing less, doing more or plainly
    doing it better - so any input is welcome.

2. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    Their Italy jersey is really nice looking and comfortable. Better than the Nike one design fits all teams concept. I can't say anything for their boots as I usually buy Adidas on that.

I have a pair of Puma Romas and they are the best casual shoes I've ever bought.

3. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Agreed with Forza. The Italian NT jersey by Puma may be the best one ever. Puma makes VERY stylish and distinctive jerseys. Nike, on the other hand.............................

As for boots, always have worn Adidas Copa Mundials (outdoor) and Samba's (indoor). I like the traditional stuff.

4. ninety_minutes

ninety_minutes New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have worn Kings in the past and loved them. In my opinion they make stylish jerseys and attire (simple and not over the top).

5. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I love the new jerseys, well the one Deportivo Independiente Medellin (Colombia) wears, and the Italian one is top class, I have Puma turf shoes, nice as hell, don't see anything wrong with Puma.

6. dtunam

dtunam New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Scunthorpe,England
    Puma rox! The cellerators r well beast! Robert Pires is an all. Sam :cool:

7. diablo_nyc

diablo_nyc New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    ad? what ads? the only one ive seen is the pires one in the eurosport catalog....and that was kinda blahhh
    but agree with everyone else..the italy jersey is a beauty.

8. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Puma make really good shirts. I like the Czech Republic shirt at the minute.

I've only ever own 1 pair of Puma boots. They were the cream and black puma kings that were out years ago. And i didnt wear them that much i think it was down to the colour as they'd get trashed (and there werent many whitish boots back then!) but from what i can remember they were nice boots.

appleCORR

9. bobo99

bobo99 New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    ROCK

Got my Puma Bulgarian Jersey and i love it.I recently bought the KSL but havent tried them yet.

10. OWkEaNe

OWkEaNe New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    NY
    fulham's jerseys are pretty nice looking too

11. designez1

designez1 Member

Nov 19, 2003
    New York
    Their Italy TV ads during the Euro were funny and spot on. I think Puma is doing a nice job in finding their niche in a market that's dominated by Nike and Adidas. Also the controversy surrounding their Cameroon Jerseys show that they are willing to take risks and try out new stuff.

The Czech jerseys are crap though. The Czechs are an excellent team, but perhaps not as fashionable as the Italians. Puma should do something about their image! Their footballstyle is way superior to the Italians.
    Traditional boots are okay but the new stuff (Cellerator) is not so innovative. It seems that they use the same base and sole over and over again. That's cheap and consumers see that!
    Puma has some wicked lifestyle/fashion shoes. I wish they would bring that kind of innovation to footballboots.

12. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Puma rocks. I wore several versions a Kings for several seasons and loved them. I agree about the jerseys as well, their unique styling sets them apart from Nike and Adidas.

13. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Many of my teammates wear Kings and they swear by them. I tried them and they were a tad uncomfortable, but then I have an odd shaped foot (flat) also. That may have had something to do with it. But I love their classy look. No frills, just a great boot.

As for the jerseys, I think Puma stands head and shoulders above the others, particularly Nike. They seem to tailor their jerseys to each team while maintaining a traditional soccer "look". No cookie cutter jerseys from Puma. The Italian NT jersey with the gold lettering is simply OUTSTANDING. Bulgaria and the Czech Republic aren't bad either.

Am I the only one, or does it just seem that ALL the Nike jerseys are rather "flimsy", for lack of a better term?

14. Swoosh9

Swoosh9 Member

Jul 13, 2004
    US
    how r cellerator GCI's ? jus bought sum n supposed 2 come soon. anybody wit experience, how durable r they?

15. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I really like Puma as a brand they have the most style of any company around in my view, thier boots, clothes and equipment are class across the board.

The KSL is one the two best boots I have ever tried along with (the german copa from adidas), then again I am a sucker for the classic style boots too. The new cellerator's are pretty sweet as well, they are coming out with a black pair of synthetic ones in like Jan. I saw them when the Puma rep was at the soccer store I worked in over the summer, real classy looking shoe with just a touch of gold trim over the standard white and black.

Anyway yeah Puma rocks.........

I just wish they would make a top quality indoor boot that wasn't so high off the ground, I never feel low enough to the ground to really be comfortable in their indoor models, maybe that new sala boot the veloz they have out though will fill that void, I saw that with the Puam rep too, in my view it is better quality then clima cool indoor from adidas and much cheaper.

16. Becks23

Becks23 New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    maybe it's that iCell cushioning that results in a boot higher off the ground

17. erictheking

erictheking Member

Feb 2, 2004
    The ad with JFH putting plastic bags over his shoes while he had a kickabout was pretty good.

18. CFU22

CFU22 New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Enterprise, FL
    As for Puma Cleats the Puma Kings are a quality boot :)

19. hkeat

hkeat New Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Malaysia
    totally agree bout that suggestion... puma's casual/lifestyle/fashion shoes are just outright sophisticated looking. it's for those who wanna stand out from the crowd. nike has good designs too, but it's too common. wish they would design an indoor soccer shoes with that kinda sleek design...

20. speedyturtle4

speedyturtle4 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Crawley ENGLAND
    Puma are definetly one of the most stylish brands, the Puma Cellerator Shodoh and Cellerator Zero 04 GCi look really cool- especially in FG. Unfortunately they decided to make Puma Icanas :confused: which look like football boots wrapped in tea towels. They also describe some of their products as lightweight, such as the Puma Icanas which are 300g each- the same as Predator Pulses and Aveiros. They also describe the shodohs as lightweight- 345g each- which are the same as errrrrrr....... Supernovas which are meant to be heavy. I have Puma Mostros which i find good for playing on indoor surfaces and there are some good quality Puma astro turf and indoor surface trainers on www.prodirectsoccer.com.

21. AntiNIKE

AntiNIKE New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Have the PUMA kings....my 2nd pair now..... NIKE SUCKS big time, had bisters from the AZT 90 III

22. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dude we get the point you dont like Nike, stop with all the nike bashing in every post.