Puma Shudoh VS KSL

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by DarrenOHooligan, Oct 30, 2004.

1. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    I've read all the posts about the KSL, and was thinking about getting them due to that killer deal on eastbay, but i found a killer deal on the shudohs as well. They look awesome, and sound great, but does anyone have any experience with them? Does anyone use them, and if so whats your opinion. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. speedyturtle4

speedyturtle4 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Crawley ENGLAND
    Puma KSL- These provide power. 285g each- fairly light- preds are 300g, vapors 198g. Lots of cushioning are great touch and feel. Classic styling, reliable, fairly easy to wash.
    Puma Cellerator Shodoh - These are made of a weird clothy mesh material. Provide Power. 345g each. Look stylish. Good touch and stability. However these Get dirty and may stain. One of my friends has them and they always look dirty.
    I would probably go for the shodohs because they look so good and have an unusual design and diffrent attributes, but everyone who i know who has them say they get dirty easily, but it depends what your taste is.

3. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    Thanks for the comparo. I went to eastbay, and the sale on the shudohs is still on. 69.99, what a deal! So i ordered a pair, and they are on backorder, and I'll get the sale price when they are shipped. I couldn't pass it up. I currently wear the silver pulses, and i'm superstitous, so i need another pair,and i really wanted the shudohs. Hopefully they'll ship soon, and i'll dig em, if not keep your eyes peeled for a pair for sale! -d'oh-

4. Lethyr

Lethyr New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    I have a pair of Puma Shudohs and they're the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. I'm really surprised that more people don't wear them but I pimp them to all my friends. The only con that I can really think of is that they do get kinda dirty, like the mesh stuff that the boot is made of really picks up some grass stains but it's a welcome trade for the comfort.

I also read that they have this Powerframe technology which I initially thought was a marketing gimmick. I have a kinda dodgy right ankle though and I really noticed the difference, you don't really feel the impact of the ball as much. Feels great to just blast it.

70 bucks is a steal for those boots though. I got mine for $140 NZ dollars (they retail for 240 NZ dollars over here) and I was stoked.

[Edit - I think I have the 'Shudoh I' because mine is a sky blue colour. That was another complaint, the colour was atrocious but kinda original nonetheless. Anyway, from the eastbay site, the boot looks identical except for colour.]

5. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    [Edit - I think I have the 'Shudoh I' because mine is a sky blue colour. That was another complaint, the colour was atrocious but kinda original nonetheless. Anyway, from the eastbay site, the boot looks identical except for colour.][/QUOTE]

the reason i picked these up is becuase of the color. I'd only seen the baby blue ones, and I wasn't that keen on them. These white/grey ones are great looking though.

6. Lethyr`

Lethyr` New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Yeah, I saw the picture of the silver ones, they're quite nice. Tempted to pick up another pair lol. The boot construction looks the same, I hope they haven't changed too much apart from the colour because I love my Shudohs, best boot ever.

7. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite

Thats good to hear. I was a little hesitant buying the shudohs not knowing/hearing anything about them. I figured with a retail of $199, they must be pretty decent. Thanks for the posts!

8. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    What is the advantage of that micro-fiber? I just don't see it...

Looks like it would tear really fast and are probably a bitch-and-a-half to clean.

9. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite

When i read the post, i couldn't figure out what you were talking about, and than realized that these are the shudoh II. Hopefully they're the same, maybe some minor improvements, but the description matches the original shudoh description. Who knows.

10. Becks23

Becks23 New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    cleaning is negligible because it doesn't affect the boots performance..

but as for tearing, the synthetic upper which i think is dynatec is used in like motorcycle eqt etc

http://www.schoeller-textiles.com

11. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Hmm...I still have doubts about it, though. I've seen too many F-50's rip at the midsole because of the microfiber. I'd stick to the K-Leather.

12. Lethyr`

Lethyr` New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I've only played with the Shudohs in a few matches but they seem to be holding together well. I can't say I've tried to clean the grass stains but they look like a bit of a bitch so I've been procrastinating lol

I'm not too sure how they'll do once it gets really muddy and wet as I've been playing in summery conditions for a while. I'd really be interested in seeing how they compare to your preds, DarrenOHooligan, as I'm looking for another pair of boots for soft ground / wet conditions.

13. bobo99

bobo99 New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    I was going ot buy the Cellerator Zero 04 but wanted to buy a boot with leather upper so i bought the KSL.
    THe Shudoh look solid.Ive tried it a couple of times and probably will be getting it for the next season

14. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    I was wondering what the sizing is on the Shodohs is. I normally wear a 9.5 and my preds are a 10. I've heard some people wear their boots a 1/2 size smaller, some same size, and some 1/2 size bigger. Can you tell me about your shudohs and the sizing. Thanks for the help.

15. Becks23

Becks23 New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    i wear size 9 pulse/mania, my toes are to the edge

the sizing between shudoh's and the mania's are probably the same, however shudoh's wont stretch

16. Lethyr`

Lethyr` New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I tried on a pair of Predator Pulses in Size 9 and they were pretty snug on me - my toes were right up to the edge. I ended up wearing my Shudohs in 9.5 and there was maybe 1cm between the tip of my big toe and the end of the shoe, this is with shinguards and soccer socks on. It's pretty comfy but I wouldn't mind getting them half a size smaller. Presuming your feet aren't really weird or anything, I'd just go for the same size as your predators.

Edit - I don't think these boots are designed to stretch. They have quite a generous fit because of that.

17. antfelix

antfelix New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    US
    Basically, for adidas kangaroo leather shoes (f50, predator precision, dx-3, accelerator, copas), I've always gotten a 9.0. They're snug at first, but then they stretch to my foot. I got the Shudoh's in a 9.0 & 9.5 so I could try both on and then return one. The 9.0's are too small, and the 9.5's fit very very well. As was said before, expect little to no stretching on the Shudoh's. I hate having any excess room in my boots too, and still the 9.5 in the shudoh is a good fit.

Also, anyone have issues with the touch on the Shudoh's? I know they have the power frame which is meant to absorb shock and increase kicking power, but it seems like I can't feel the ball as well as with kangaroo leather.

18. Lethyr`

Lethyr` New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    You definitely can't feel the ball as much with the Shudohs compared to the K-Leather preds. The touch is still good but not as great as a Kangaroo leather boot but I think it's a pretty good trade for the comfort, stability, traction and powerframe technology. If they had the same kinda touch as a K-leather boot, I would say they were perfect.

19. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    I just got word that my shudohs shipped on monday, and i as well added a pair in another size in order to see what fit the best. I'll return one pair as well, I figured that the touch wasn't as good as some shoes, but i've dealt in the past with shoes that the touch isn't as good. Sometimes i get overly confident in my touch and have a horrible first touch due to my confidence and screw up. Maybe the shudohs will keep my confidence in check! I'll post a review and compare them to my pusles as soon as i get them! I talked to someone last night who was wearing the KSL and he said that he wished that he had bought the shudohs. Once again, glad i went with the shudohs. Also, I heard that the shudohs come with a bag? And does anyone know what shudoh means? I'm thinking with all the japanese writing i saw it must mean something. Thanks!

20. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    For anyone that cares, my shudohs finally arrived. I bought a pair in 9.5 and 10. and the 10s feel hoorible on my arch, but good size, and the 9.5 are snug, and fit to the toes. I'm going to go with the 9.5 I think, and I wear a 10 in my pulses. So the sizing on the shudohs is a tad small, as most all my other boots are 9.5 and not so snug. I like the snug fit, gives me good touch on the ball. The shudohs are a little thick, but comfortable as hell. Can't wait for monday night!!!!

21. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    one more thing, does anyone know the difference between the 2 insoles? I like the fact that there is 2 layers of insoles and the botton one is the changeable (is that a word) one? Thanks for the info.

22. bobo99

bobo99 New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    Puma Cellerator Shudoh GCi FG

Features an innovative Puma Tuning Chassis that allows you to customize the amount of stability and support.

23. Becks23

Becks23 New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    one is cushioning, the other is stability....although i forget which one is which ahhaha

personally didn't notice a difference in either

24. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    Well I finally got to play in my shudohs, and as of nov 15, 2004, I am now a puma man. These boots are the greatest boots i've ever worn. Not too heavy, GREAT touch on the ball, excellent traction, not too bulky which is my biggest complaint about my pulses. After looking at them in person, i thought they would be much more bulky than the pulses, but after wearing them, they didn't seem as bulky. They did seem to put me a little higher off the grass though. However, the traction is much better than my pulses. They are more comfortable than my pulses, and they were over $100 cheaper than my pulses :eek: I'm glad I bought them they were well worth it.

Side note: I will say, that i did order 2 sizes cause I wasn't sure of the size, and the 9.5 didn't come with the 2nd pair of insoles. I called eastbay and tried to get another pair of insoles, and they couldn't just order them, so they wanted me to return them and buy another pair of shoes hoping that the insoles would be included. Of course the insoles that came with the size 10s are a tad too big for the 9.5. OF COURSE! I never changed the insoles when i had the f50s so I'm sure I wont need the other pair for these either.

...just my 2 cents...

25. bobo99

bobo99 New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    Same here.I bought the KSL and since them I am puma man.Im thinking of buying the next generations of shudohs (2005).I was going to buy the Zero_04 but choosed the KSL in the last moment.

MY PUMAS