Pulpit Freedom Sunday Is Once Again Upon Us

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dr. Wankler, Oct 4, 2012.

1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for every $1,000 in food I ordered from the regional food bank for our assistance ministry, we saved $85.00 in sales tax.

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They probably didn't feel very safe in NOLA

That's how we're taught to treat Catholics ;)

3. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose if I was a church going type - which I'm not - and my preacher brought in a politician, I would make the reasonable assumption that he supported - and if it was election time - wanted me to vote for him/her. Since that would be the legal way to endorse a candidate without actually saying "vote for joe blow."

Now there is little difference between that and preaching to your flock or herd or whatever to vote for a specific candidate. And if that difference really makes that much of difference to you, then more power to you.

Now excuse me, I received the latest copy of Scientific American in the mail and I have some bible study to do. ;-)

4. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why not. We had boatloads of JDubs. At least, that's what I gathered from their constant visits to our house. (For whatever reason, those particular JDubs were black, leading me to believe that JDubs in general tended to be black. I was surprised (and ashamed to be surprised) when, years later, I met a white one.)

And how stupid is it to think that God is so petty that you have not only be Christian, but a particular flavor of Christian, in order to go to heaven?

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the doors slammed in their faces.
    Since neither one of us are home during the day, we don't get much and since everyone is carting their kids (except for us) to lacrosse, soccer, interpretive dance, ballet, band all morning, we don't see many around here. And they sure as shit know better than to go around disturbing people during OU/OSU games. Shit, for the most part, all of the Kingdom Hall's have either moved to the rural edge suburbs or small towns.
    I agree and believe that totally. There are a lot of my fellow Christians that are going to be surprised who gets in with them.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But not the Jews, please tell me not the Jews! :p (and Muslims, Hindus, Pegans, zoroastrians, etc)

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guess Jesus is out of luck then. :D

8. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that. God doesn't say that. Jesus never said that.
    what Jesus said was: " I am the way, the truth and the light. No one comes to the Father but through me."
    the particular religious flavor is unimportant and irrelevant.

Crazy_Yank repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't that be something, Christians in heaven ask god, "hey where is Jesus", god replies, "We do not let Jewish people in heaven, so he is in hell".

Funkfoot repped this.
  10. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, I've pointed that out to many Christians. oh the irony of it. Jesus was born and died a Jewish man. Jesus did not establish Christianity. his disciples did. Antioch was the first place several years after Jesus' death that his followers were first called Christians.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    For anyone seriously interested in Jesus' Jewish roots and the effect they have on his teaching, this edition of the New Testament is terrific...

[​IMG]

It's annotated with extensive commentary by Jewish scholars who connect Jesus to the rabbis of His time, and the great teachers of His past.

12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Fair enough, I was using the word "Subsidy" in it's general usage, not to imply that government actually writes a check to many churches.

But if you want to argue that churches don't get huge financial advantages that secular charities don't get, I call bullcrap. Churches don't even have to disclose their financial activities to the IRS, so there is no accountability whatsoever. I'm sure your church takes the $20 bills out of the hat and uses it to feed the hungry. I'm also sure that the megachurch down the road funnels the millions that they get into slush funds, rent boys, and garbage bags full of cocaine.

Furthermore, this amounts to a government endorsement of religion. Why should a minister be able to deduct housing expenses when a person leading a secular charity can't?

Bull. Crap.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And the virgin Mary as well. At least they'll be together.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "First, you make a roux..."

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably equal to the number that are surprised who DIDN'T get in with them.

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put no limits on the mercy of God and the grace of Jesus Christ to grant everlasting life to those who have done his work and kept his commandments.

Crazy_Yank and minerva repped this.
  17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As well as many wondering why Satan is ********ing them in the ass

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So me, the Hindus, Amerindians that follow old religions, Buddhist, Zoroastrians and Pegans are fucked.

That is cool it will be cool to chill with Ghandi in Hell, shit there will probably be better people in hell with me.

19. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure there will be any actual "chilling" in hell. But it should still be fun frying with Ghandi et. al. :D

chaski repped this.
  20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are Pegans just Pagans who don't use any animal products?

21. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm almost certain there's a SF Giants joke in there. A pagan angel??
    What's next? Jesus Satan? That's "Satan" pronounced Shatan, as in Miroslov Satan. Figure a Slovak mates with a Latin Mercan, and you could conceivably wind up with a Heysus Satan, which would beat an Angel Pagan.

fatbastard repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_Maradoniana

Off course ours will be more inclusive... We will accept CR7 fans as well as Messi fans and even will acknowledge that Catenaccio can be a path to salvation.

25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was taught that Mormonism is a cult. Some churches that I went to said that Catholics weren't Christians. My Catholic great-aunt was a better Christian than those people.

American Brummie repped this.