PSV Eindhoven vs The Arsenal (UEL) 27 Oct 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Oct 23, 2022.

1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    de jong really changed their game. nearly the same way bamford's introduction really took us apart and changed that game.

2. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Nketiah offering less than Laca was. Besides one shot he has been possibly worst on the pitch.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    78' Eddie with another point blank and lame shot.

4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    spread out the fatigue?

5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    And frustrating to say, but we lack a player capable of changing games for us. Hopefully we see 2 bodies in January or I am worried post WC we are going to drop off badly in the second half of the season.

daedalus repped this.
  6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    how the fuck was that a yellow?

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but they were better than us in 1T before he was playing. How many goals did they have disallowed in 1T?

8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    2 disallowed goals on the counter while they had none of the balls otherwise. i think we were sitting on 66% (largely non-threatening) possession. but they were not better in the first half.

in the second half, they have been actively attacking.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xhaka picks up a yellow for pushing Xavi. Will miss the final group game.

10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    We have been gassed since just before the Leeds game, but its been a massive issue since the Leeds game. No first half goals and game control to bail us out, and at this rate Forest worry me let along what Chelsea will do to our back 4.

daedalus repped this.
  11. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Guess we can see how Sambi does in his position, since Sambi isn't good in Parteys spot.

daedalus repped this.
  12. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wow. Clear foul on Saka and told to get up.

daedalus repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet we've increased our possession in 2T. Proving that possession is not a good metric to determine superiority in a game. They've been better than us all night IMO

14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah. well, we'll have a game changer/winner by the name of smith-rowe as a new signing in january. :D

cooper7d7 repped this.
  15. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    they tottenham'ed it in the first half barred 2 counters.

they clearly have been attacking - and, frankly, running rampant - this half.

it's not the possession numbers, it's the how. we've had games with lower possession this year where we were on the attack and it's the same this half.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT PSV 2-0 ARS

Well, well, it's gonna go down to the 6th and final group game to decide who gets top spot and skips to R16.

Another rather disappointing game from us. Our offense was missing for much of the match, and when it popped up it was anything but efficient, clinical or lethal.

Looks like we might limp our way to the WC break.

But if we can get a win against Zurich next week, we'll have done the job... just.

daedalus repped this.
  17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    555 minutes on the season for Nketiah.

2 goals, 1 assist, against Zurich and Bodo/Glimt.

Can't pass, can't really shoot, mediocre touch. We need a second option up top. He's obviously not it.

daedalus and Super Llama repped this.
  18. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’re top of the league and the group. Maybe let the season play out before passing eternal judgment one way or the other (and back again).

daedalus repped this.
  19. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Saka developed a reputation for diving somehow? It’s the only way to explain the yellow at So’ton and now this.

yossarian and daedalus repped this.
  20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Think we need a DM to spell Partey (allowing Sambi to play LCM) and a W/ST in Jan. N'Dicka wouldn't be a bad pickup in Jan as well if we can get him for a decent price.

yossarian and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A. Hindsight suggests the gameplay for tonight should have been about stalwart defending and heavy use of rotation. If for no other reason than if you're gonna lose, do it with your subs while the A team rests up. I can't say I felt that way before this match, but I also think Arsenal are not deep enough to to consistently play quality attacking ball with only half their usual starters. To wit...

B. The biggest issue when trying to manage rotations for a team with a steep talent drop off is the risk of letting 1 loss turn into 2, by virtue of fatigue, creeping doubt, and reactionary play when falling behind. Taking long views, I'm perfectly fine with seeing certain matches as disposable if it helps your team over the long haul. I'm not saying today was that case, or this weekend, but that somewhere in these congested schedules Arteta must recognize he can't play everybody twice a week for several weeks in a row. Pick and choose your battles, and be willing to lose some of it means winning the war.

daedalus repped this.
  22. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well its now two challenges in a row where clear contact has been made. The Southampton one Saka gets a bit of his leg out, so I could understand that not being a FK but was never a card for a dive.

But that one tonight was a FK clear as day, he had his man beaten heading into the box and Saka hasn't ever had a habit of going down easily. Thats a ref sucked into the noise of the home crowd 100%.

daedalus repped this.
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Even though we failed to lock up top spot, Arteta would be ********ing crazy to run out the full-strength first team against Zurich. A result today would have made that a no-risk decision, but it's still worth the moderate risk to have the starters rested for Chelsea.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I miss the days under Wenger where we would have kids like Vela and Bendtner playing League Cup and throw away European matches and we would score and win because we had, you know, depth.

25. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    mcnicholas mentioned this being something to watch for towards the end of last season. sort of a zaha effect.

it's weird to me given how often saka gets bumped and fights to stay up. (but that might just be an effect of being used to someone lightweight like walcott who got knocked over by a stiff breeze.)