Prudential or VALIC?

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by bigredfutbol, Oct 17, 2005.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got the option to pick either Prudential or VALIC to manage my 403(b) at work. Anybody have any experience or opinion on one versus the other?

2. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    Are your investment choices differenet depending upon which one you choose? If so, what are the choices? If not, I have no idea which is best...find the lowest management fees.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize this is probably too broad a question. I haven't had time to check the options for either, I'll be doing that later this week when I have a little more time. I was just hoping someone had had personal experience dealing with one or the other. Thanks for responding.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Haven't had experience with either personally but I'm familiar with the 403(b) market.

If you have TIAA-CREF or Vanguard as options, go with them. Their expenses are generally much lower than Pru or VALIC. If you work in a school district you can ask to have other companies added to the list of providers. Some districts will, some won't.

Your investment choices will most likely be varied no matter who you go with. Excessive wrap fees and internal expenses KILL many 403(b) participants' accounts in the long haul. Look closely at the expense ratios and fees and read the prospectuses or ask the salesperson up front how much you're going to be ripped off......errr.....charged for the privilege of taking your hard earned $.

The website below has some great info. about 403(b)s. Do as much research as you can and don't be afraid to ask questions.

www.403bwise.com

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks so much. I will look into it.