Props to the Fans in Columbus [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Gmore, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Gmore

Gmore New Member

May 12, 2005
    Virginia
    I was watching the game in a restaurant, so I couldn't tell how loud it was in the stadium, but it looked as if the crowd was fantastic. The Sky Cam gave a great view of Sam's Army, which appeared to be as raucious as ever. After the goals the cameras were shaking and the fans were bouncing. It reminded me of a college football game.

I'd like to know the American to Mexican ratio. It appeared as if it was a very pro-American crowd.

Once again, props to all those who contributed to the electric atmosphere. I think Nike has some more commercial material in Beasley's goal.

2. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    Yes, props to the US fans--you were very audible over the TV. The chants, songs, etc, came through and the atmosphere did indeed seem electric. My parents, not regular soccer viewers, were surprised that the stadium only held <25,000.

This led to a conversation of NASL/MLS drawing 30,000 in "half empty" stadia like Soldier Field and Giants Stadium and why SSS are crucial to building our sport here.

The match LOOKED important on TV with a boistrous sell out crowd and so to all of you that went to Crew Stadium: Thank You! Your presence contributed in a meaningful way to building up soccer's image in this country.

PS--I was in Azteca on Easter Sunday and the contrast between the (US) cops in white short sleeve shirts and soft caps tonight vs Mexico's police in full riot gear with sheilds was a striking contrast for me. I hope everyone in Columbus, Yanqui and Mexicano alike, had a great time tonight. It did appear that way.

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, thanks C-bus...Great showing of support

4. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Just curious from anyone who was there what the % of Mexican supporters was?

5. nimitivd

nimitivd Member

Mar 27, 2005
    las vegas
    WOW is all i have to say about the supporters in columbus. simply awesome. That had to be the biggest sea of red Ive ever seen at a match. so sweet.

6. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kind of hard to say, at first it seemed to be largely mexican before the game. But that's only because they all got there when the gates opened. The US supporters filled out the stands and easly out numbered Mexicians. I'd say about 4-5 thousand, like was predicted by Mark McCullers. so what ever % that gives you. Great crowd, great night. :D

7. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Watching the tape of ESPN Classic now and I'd have to say ESPN does not know how to mic a soccer game correctly. Put the chants up in the mix. I didn't stand their screaming for two hours for just the Mexican fans in Columbus to hear.
    :D

8. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003
    It seems that south of the border (another Azteca alum on Easter Sunday here) the custom is to stand at your seat and watch warm-ups for an hour or so...while here tailgating is the norm...and you get to your seat 1/2 hour or less before gametime...

I suspect the USA fans were here in the parking lot eating burgers and drinking a few...

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fanfreakingtastic crowd for the game, loved every second. I thought it was around 60-40, but I could be wrong

10. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read in one newspaper it was about 35-40% Mexican.

And that a lot of them bought tickets on eBay!

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Props to everyone, Bigsoccer posters I saw on TV: MikeLastort2, Redchick, Bison, Thomas A Finna, Fidlere and some I'm forgetting.

12. emp2b3

emp2b3 Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    At the tailgate before the game people were doing a chant about how the US is going to win the World Cup but I can't remember how it goes. Need a new sig. now that we took care of Mex. so props to the person that can hook me up. Thanks.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely ridiculous. 15-20% tops, and that's being generous. They were so pushy and obnoxious and rude to everyone it may have seemed like more, but no way.

14. Roach

Roach Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah great crowd and support from C-bus. On tv the atmosphere seemed electric in a very meaningful game. Chants were on point. I was standing in front of the tv the whole game bouncing myself; man wish i coulda been there.

15. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to admit, when I walked in I was really pissed at all the green. My section (106 for you Crew fans -- midfield on the side you can see on TV) was almost full of Mexicans, though to be fair they were polite enough. I thought "Man, whoever managed this ticket sale is out of a job tomorrow". It looked like they might as well have just played it in LA. Turned out hardly any of them had tickets there and they were gradually pushed out, but there was still way too much green in the stadium for my liking.

Somebody mentioned the police -- after the game some asshat in a convertible was doing donuts in the parking lot while it was still mostly full and there were lots of people partying, kids kicking balls around. Next thing I see is 3 of Columbus' finest on horseback, galloping after him in a cloud of dust. It was kind of cool. I'm sure he spent the night on a nice hard cot in a room with cinder block walls.

16. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're all part of Bruce's Army
    We're all off to Germany
    And we'll really shake them up
    When we when the World Cup
    Ohhh the US has the greatest football team!!

17. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    before the game started it looked like maybe 50/50 but once everyone got into the stadium it was probably more 70/30. all the mexican fans i encountered were pretty nice though. except this one dude a few rows in front of me who kept flicking everybody off. he got really quiet after the 2nd goal though. ;)

18. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I agree -- that sea of red was very impressive. People have been urgin others to wear red for years now, but this match seemed to definitely take it to a new level -- the Sam's Army stands behind the goal really were a sea of red.

Overall, the crowd looked and sounded great on television -- props to everyone who was there! :)

19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a terrible time with them in our section. They filled up the section before the game and every time someone who actually had a ticket for the seats would show up they'd make a big stink and refuse to move until they called and usher or a cop. Then they kept filtering down all game long and filling the stairways so nobody could get by, etc., kept fighting with the CSC guys and the Cops about hanging banners over the stadium signage ( after the third warning, the cop finally came back. pulled out a knife and cut the damn flag down, which of course had a bunch of drunken Mexis calling him a "racist". Of course.

My son got shoved around several times, since he was on the aisle. I changed places with him and - since I'm 6'6" and 250 they stopped that crap.

Once we took the lead though they all just shut up, sat down and/or passed out.

20. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    After the game I found out from one of our supporters that someone from stadium security wanted to force the entire SA section to move to their assigned seat on their tickets, and SIT DOWN.

I shat you not.

This game was the most amazing thing I've ever been to, and my first WCQ cap to boot. I think I was in the 4th or 5th row in section 137, and it was great. Oh and mad props to the guy standing infront of me with the red hardhat on. Way to help get the singing going!

que sera, sera...whatever will be, will be...we're going to germany...

21. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bahahahahahahahaah

As with the party on Friday night, I could hear you in Austin.

22. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    You're welcome. :D

23. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great time everyone. Driving into the lots there was way too much green for my liking. I think though, they just got there earlier than the US fans. As the game went on US fans all around the stadium got louder and louder and the Mexis hid under their seats.

Most Mexicans were quite friendly after the match.

I was a little disappointed with the tailgate, SA area when I arrived around 3:30 or 4, but around 5:00 and 5:30 the singing started up and except for halftime we sang till 10pm. One thing you've gotta love about having MLS is the way it's developing more and more American fans. Even some of the USL fans represented, Minnesota did a fantastic job and of course my whole WNY/Rochester crew.

Thanks to the C-bus people who put on the tailgate.

24. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, boys and girls, is The Goal. That was "It". The thing that was dreamed of when Mark Spacone and others decided that the US deserved to get active support. Too many to name here, and too much to go into, but if there ever was a doubt about whether we can put on an Event - one that deserves to be on television - that was It.

The key is this - The Cold War could have been a one-time thing. But last night showed that it wasn't - that US fans can do it on a consistent basis.

The new goal is this - do it every time we play, not just against Mexico. But yeah, last night, you guys were what we dream about. Thanks for The Represent.

25. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Just got back an hour ago. Voice still hoarse. I still can't get my head around that I was actually there in person to watch my country qualify for the World Cup at the expense of our most bitter rival.

Wow.

Walking through the parking lots, you'd only see pockets of Mexicans here and there but once I got into the North End for warmups, I was seriously concerned that this may be a 50/50 or worse crowd. The South end was way too green for my liking. Luckily, by the anthems it seemed to go down to 70/30 for the USA. Similar situation to the Guatemala game in Birmingham.

Not sure how the card stunt went off. When the teams came out, the people at the front started passing the BAF up, but whatever.

Some pre-match comedy when a Mexican goalkeeper coach skied a shot into the North End. No one would throw it back, so one of their staff memebers actually runs into the stands to the guy who has the ball. This guy tries to hide it and then throws it at the Mexican goalkeeper coach, missing him by a c-nts hair. After that, they started complaining to the C-Bus cops. Funny stuff. :D

First half was alright, we made ourselves heard. Mexicans were pretty quiet. The guys I were next to were trying to get the "I-N-S"s and "Pick my tomatoes" chants going. Didn't really fly, thankfully. Some kid in line for food at the half was going off with the "Where's your green card" and "3rd world s--- hole". I wasn't particularly offended, but you could feel it get a bit tense with all the Mexicans milling about.

Second half was surreal. Everyone was trying to crowd around the lower center of the North End as to be in prime position to yell at Sanchez (we did get under his skin) and see any goals we might score so it was just this huge mass of humanity blocking up the aisles. Not very comfortable being smushed in with everyone, but when we got our goals, Holy God. I don't think I can put into words the feeling. Beer was flying, strangers hugging, it's what it was all about, man.

And then the celebration afterwards......

You'd have to be there to understand.

A CSC guy was about an inch from taking a flying beer bottle to the head from our section. The only real blemish on the night.

Shook Drew Carey's hand, and I made sure to get right in front of Telemundo's camera and give a nice, big, friendly "ADIOS" to all the viewers out in Mexi-land after the game. Was it worth it? Yeah, I'd say so. :D