Propaganda Posters

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by FulhamRev, Aug 22, 2002.

1. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is the greatest US WWII poster of them all. It is real, not a satire.

[​IMG]

4. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite from WW2.

"Go Hemp for the War effort".

5. Kraze

Kraze New Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Orlando
    Oh yeah, that's funny. Hitler with a head scarf kills his own people, trys to invade countries, and is looking at nukes to blast American cities like NYC, Washington D.C., Chicago, etc. into kingdom come. Oh yeah, I'm laughing my ass off that, Sadam guy isn't a threat.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Great stuff. I get a kick out of the original trash, but the satirical alterations are at least realistic.

7. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am really glad you folks were not around during WWII. I hate to think what folks like you would have been doing. I am convinced that Noam Choamsky would have been writing his last appology for the Nazis as they were taking him to the gas chamber.

Gee, in a pre-t.v. age, the government which needed mostly to save fuel and rubber for the war effort, used visual images to get the point accross.

The funny thing is that what we are fighting is facsism. Granted, it has an Islamic face rather than the neo-pagan face that Hitler put on his fascism, but it is still the same.

And what you folks like best about living in the west is what our enemy hates most about us.

8. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad that you've bought that reasoning. Sure, they hate us because we're free. It has nothing to do with our nearly unilateral support for Israel or our military bases in Saudi Arabia.

9. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Propaganda Posters

If you know something that the CIA doesn't, please speak up. Last I heard, we don't know if he has any WMD's. And if he does, they don't have the range to hit the US.

10. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Re: Re: Re: Propaganda Posters

What's funny about this is that in the message you wrote just prior to this, you mention "our military bases in Saudi Arabia".

11. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great so lets sacrifice the only country in the region that attempts to be a modern democracy. The radical Palestinians, who are calling the shots in the PA these days, want no co-exsistence. They want all of Israel.

Palestinain terrorists hide in plain sight behind their families, knowing that the Iraelis want to avoid civilian casualties. When a terrorist leader is killed, and civilians with him, the Israeli respond with doubt and recriminations. When Hamas attacks a military site, such as a student center at a University, the Palestinians respond with celebrations.

And where was all the outrage in Moslem lands about "occupation" when the West Bank and Gaza Strip were occupied by Egypt and Jordan?

When Howard Baker was appearing before Congress in 1992 and told Israel "When your serious call the White House" and gave the White House phone number, I guess he was just showing Americans unilaterial suppprt for Israel (and yes, that support is much stringer today, given the events of the past 3 years).

Why did Arafat walk out of a peace conference when Israel was willing to give him 99% of what he wanted. The devil was in the details to be sure, but at least talk.

As for the Saudis, yes, we have troops there. The troops are in the broder regions, far from the Holy Cities. We were invited by the government. And hopefully, when there is a more free Iraq (I dispair to see any true democracy there for years), we can leave.

Better yet, we find alternative energy sources, and can leave that region for good.

As for Saddam not being a threat to the US, he is a threat to world peace and the world economy. Hitler was not a true threat to the US. He never could have invaded our country. Same with the Japanese. It took most of the striking capability of the Japanese Navy to attack one base. And despite our weakened naval condition, they were unable to ocupy a small island in the middle of the Pacific, and were hard pressed to occupy two small islands off Alaska.

So were we wrong to assist China, the UK and Russia, or did FDR do all that to provoke an attack, so he could help his friends in industry?

12. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC

You're right. It's much better wait until we know for sure he has WMD and the ability to hit the US.

13. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We Catholics in Texas have a little solution for Mr. Largent:

[​IMG]

14. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Propaganda Posters

Why don't we just, oh I don't know, preemtively strike against the whole world. Let's just get it over with.

15. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an artist named Sandow Birk who makes propaganda-style paintings of The Great War of the Californias (which, for those of you slow on the uptake, never happened).

[​IMG]

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those were fucking lame... think the guy's got something against Bush??

Here's something for Mr. Largent...

[​IMG]

17. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I'm glad that you've bought the reasoning that it matters why Osama crashed planes into the Pentagon and World Trade Center.

The correct answer is, "Who gives a flying f**ck at a rolling donut WHY he did it?" I am not on board with the premise that because some wacko feels angry enough to kill civilians for his cause, that somehow makes the cause more important. If anything, it makes it less important and less righteous. It's not coincidental that the same thought process Osama uses is the same justifications we hear for those yahoos shooting up abortion clinics.

If John Wayne Gacy had thought to say "I molested and killed 33 boys because of US support for Israel," no one would be saying that was a good reason, would they?

18. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Propaganda Posters

Maybe we should just nuke ourselves, and save the rest of the world the trouble.

19. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It DOES matter. Because according to Bush, it's not a matter of "if" they strike again, it's a matter of "when". I, for one, don't want a repeat of 9/11. So, unlike our current leadership, I say that we do something proactive to make sure something like that doesn't happen again. They've already admitted that bombing isn't going to prevent a future attack. So why don't we try pulling out of Saudi Arabia and stop the unilateral support of Israel. Is that such a high price to pay to avoid a future 9/11? You might disagree, but I don't think it is.

20. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Also according to Bush, we must ask the question "Is our children learning?"

So, if I understand you correctly, the way to beat the terrorists is to do exactly what they want us to do? Would that mean that the terrorists have won?

I also think our unilateral support of Israel is causing problems in the region, and I think we need to re-assess our relationship with Saudi Arabia, but not because some wackjobs drove a plane into a building.

21. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Great, so we pull out of Saudi Arabia and stop supporting Israel. Do we then go along with Osama's other demands to prevent more terrorist attacks? So, no more Israel? The billions (trillions?) Osama wants the United States to pay for the underpriced oil he says we get from Saudi Arabia? What if Osama doesn't want our naval ships in the Gulf? Go ahead and pull those out?

Great strategy.

Like SoFla Metro says, we can re-assess our relationship with Israel and Saudi Arabia for lots of reasons, but not out of fear of another attack.

22. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Holy Cow! TWUB and I are on the same side.

I better look out my window for the inevitable locust storm

;)

23. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Of course the CIA knows if Iraq has WMD. They arranged for the shipment of them under their old boss George Bush (I).

http://www.cjr.org/year/93/2/iraqgate.asp

Right. A group of lightly armed, poorly organized, Mossad-infiltrated Palestinians are going to eliminate the only nuclear power in the region, armed to the teeth with the latest in US conventional weapons, and which has received more money from us than the US spent to send a man to the moon. They can take care of themselves. And Iraq for that matter.

Uh, maybe because he was never offered 99% of what he wanted, but Barak and Clinton said that to cover their asses when Arafat was presented with a map that carved up the West Bank into four separate Palestinian enclaves.

Wish that were true, but [Dana Carvey voice]Not gonnnna happen![/Dana Carvey voice] With the world's level of oil production peaking in the next two or three years, cheap oil will become a thing of the past. And with the world's economy based on cheap oil, those who control the oil, control the world. And the Bush Crime Family wants to control the world.

Dan is right. It doesn't matter. Bush and Cheney and Ashcroft got their excuse for the strangulation of our Constitutional rights and to attack Iraq and Iran and, perhaps, Saudia Arabia.

Um, I believe there is a swarm of 4-inch-long lubbers covering the Orlando area right now.

24. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So wait, the Catholic Church isn't a cult? News to me...

25. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Propaganda Posters

We decided in 1980 that we feared an Iranian invasion of Saudia Arabia more than an Iraq.

Kind of like the fact that in 1941 we allied ourselves with Joesf Stalin, Hitler was the bigger threat.

This is a 20 year old story.

Those " lightly armed, poorly organized, Mossad-infiltrated Palestinians" seem to be causing quite alot of havoc right now to such military targets as Piazzarias and University student centers. And they seem quite well organized doing it.

OK, I overstated things. But that does not change the fact that Israel offered Arafat far more than he deserved (given that to Arafat, Oslo seems not to be worth more than the paper it was written on) and he walked out. No further talks. No, "O.K., this is what we propose." No, "O.K., but we want a ohased withdrawal." He just walked out.

This reminds me of a statement that you might see on Free Republic. Change "Bush" to "clinton" and you'd fit right in with the milita nuts. You really need to get your tin foil hat back on.

You're not in an internment camp yet. Do you have so little faith in your Constitution, your government, and your fellow Americans? It is incredible. The US and UK are unique in that our intellectuals hate our own country, hate our people, and seem to think that merely being against everything shows how intellectual they are.