promotion and relegation*

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by MetroZebra, Jul 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    For the MLS to truly be considered a competitive league it has had to make some changes. Getting rid of the shootout helped and making the clock run UP instead of down with extra time added on. What about promotion and relegation? All of the other top leagues have it and it makes the season more interesting. What if the worst team at the end of the season(fewest points) was sent down to the A-League, and the top A-League team was promoted to MLS level or top flite. I, as a fan, would love to see the different teams each season and how they compete. Also, I think it would make the players appreciate MLS more and make them want to stay there. We have affiliations with the A-League now for players, why not for promoting entire teams?
    Remember the Open Cup final where the Rochester Raging Rhinos beat the Rapids? The announcers touched on the idea of Rochester coming to MLS based upon their fan base which was very supportive.
    I think that MLS has to continue to evolve in order to be a successful league and this was just one idea of how to do it.

2. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    People, please don't lay into him too much, he is still somewhat new.

I like the idea of promotion and relegation. It is a fun novelty but it really wouldn't work the way you have pointed out. First off some A-league teams have a higher pay roll than MLS teams do, How do we tell an owner and GM from the A-league that he now has to give up some of his players to fit under the cap. Then we have to tell the owner that he no longer gets the profits from his own team, and if their is a loss of $$$ in the league that he is now responsible for that as well. Then we have to tell them that if he has more than 3 internationals that he has to cut the rest.

It is a great idea, and it would be awesome to see, but convincing the A-league owners to conform to the MLS standards would be almost impossible. on the other side of the coin, Why should MLS fund teams in the A-league. It would send one if its owned teams down to another league. That holds another problem Does it still get the same amount of money for salary and what not as the teams still in MLS? What about building the fan base for a city. Who wants to see a team that was once at the highest level but proved they couldn't hack it and got sent down to the minors to rebuild?

Once again it is a great idea. A wonderful novelty to the american sports landscape, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it happening. If it finally does, the league would have to be financially stable. I would much rather see A-league teams with a good fan base get an invatation to join the league at first

3. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Contrary to what people think on here, the system of soccer in Europe is not perfect and in some facets of it, it isn't even the most desirable way to run it.

We have a chance to start from scratch, and improve on how soccer leagues are run. We aren't here to just emulate the rest of the world. Sure we'll screw up on some things, but we'll also improve on some other things. Clubs in Europe are going bankrupt quite often now because they pay players too much and it's turning into the economics of the way baseball is run over here. Pretty soon there's gonna be some drastic changes made over there and it's going to start looking more and more like the american sports landscape.

Sorry for the rant, flame away now. But hell... if we're gonna have another one of these threads, we need to at least make it interesting.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Within 10 to 15 years you'll begin to see promotion and relegation fade away in European soccer. There's too much money involved. Owners don't want to risk relegation. Sorry - but in this respect MLS is the way of the future.

Deal with it.

5. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after further review

Thereby the Revolution would have to play a High School varisty schedule for this season:

2002- Varsity HS
    2001 -NCAA Div. 3
    2000- NCAA Div.2
    1999-NCAA Div.1
    1998-D3
    1997-A-League
    1996-MLS

They could maybe reach .500 . It might work!

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Americans always are the ones who think that "because money talks and bs walks," that the continental superleague is coming, and pro/rel is going.

European fans who understand FAs and the fanbase are on the opposite side.

7. Nepal Footy

Nepal Footy New Member

Feb 8, 1999
    Nepal
    I think pro/rel could work within the MLS framework. That is to say once MLS has 20 or more teams divide it into 2 divisions.

Pro/rel with the A-league won't fly with the MLS investors and is not practical.

Many people often compare MLS to the J-League (Japan). The J-League started only a few years back and they have pro/rel. If they can do it, why can't MLS?

Sorry for taking this thread seriously. I just came back to the boards after a few years away :)

8. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of traditions of soccer that can work in this country (ties for one thing), but promotion/relegation would not work. Sports culture in the US is much different than in Europe. The moment a team drops down to what they see as the AAA league, attention to that team from the fans and media would drop drastically.

There is also the question of the number of cities that could support a MLS team. Could there really be 30 different cities that could support an MLS team by itself? How serious would the media (ESPN) take MLS if the topflight teams were Charleston, Rochester and Charlotte, whereas the second flight teams were New York, Dallas and/or Denver? How serious would the media be about the big New Jersey MetroStars/Richmond Kickers game?

The flipside of that argument is that only the big cities would have the money/exposure to put together a first class team and organization, and that they'd stay up anyway. But some teams would have to drop.

The leagues future isn't secure yet, so let's not get into things that we can't even think about yet.

9. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. No A-league team has a higher player payroll than any MLS team. Bigger marketing budget? Maybe in a case or two.

2. Promotion could be okay, but it'd be difficult given the MLS system. Relegation would be a disaster.

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The key word here is fans. Fans don't run the clubs. Bean-counters do. All it takes is for one super-club like Real Madrid or Man U to get relegated for the whole system to change.

Sachin

11. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are more clubs in the lower leagues due to inferior play. Only the select few play in the top division.

There are more posters on BigSoccer due to inferior knowledge. Only the select few dare post at SoccerAmerica Grafitti (before the morons at SA changed SAG and their magazine).

There is so much static on this board, it's really not believable.

12. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    I truely believe Prom/Reltn could never work here... I even question how well it truely works elsewhere.

Trust me, all you need for a good league to funtion idealy is parity with each team, a' la the NFL. The second you place P/R you are really inviting desaster any way you look at it.

First, P/R works in somewhat in Europe because there are old traditional soccer enclaves that support teams whether they are in first or third division (and even then thats highly limited).

P/R also, promotes enequalty between teams as more traditional/power teams do everything they can includind to guarantee themselves a destructive relegation. ???When was the last time we saw a Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man U, Liverpool, Bayern .... , in danger of relegation. Sorry, but that kind of lack of parity within national leagues is suspicios and most certainly would not work in the US.

P/R is not a good system. Businesswise it makes little sense, face it. Could you imagine say NY/NJ and LA getting relegated for a Charleston Battery and Rochestor Rhinos. Come on!!! In Europe, this may occur somewhat with smaller clubs making it to first division... HOWEVER many of these smaller clubs actually still reside in or near a large metropolis such as London which has something like 8 clubs and even more with clubs within an hour or 2 distance.

P/R is simply not a good Idea... could you imagine yourself being an Investor/Operator and being told your investmet can be shot down to minor league status should you have one bad year !!! Who the hell would want to invest in such a deal. Simply proposterous.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    European fans are in a state of denial.

14. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    If this is the quickest way to get Rochester into MLS, then I am in favor of it 100%. Hell, they outdraw KC and SJ.

15. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Reading this thread (again) is two minutes of my life I'll never get back.

16. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If Rochester isn't in MLS, why even have an MLS?

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why have we never had this discussion before now? This is really fresh and invigorating.

Fixed your post.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or better informed.

It's one or the other.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not really, you use MLS twice, once with an article, once without. Has anyone picked up from my posts this week that I'm in editor mode?

20. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    I think relegation is for sucks........

I will now wait for all of the ''european leagues are perfect' responses....

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If relegation were to work, we could include some teams from the MFL. That would definitely bring in some extra Hispanic viewership.

22. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    I think we should just play the MFL......interleague if you will.....

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    MLS wants a franchise in Mexico City. We've got a stadium in Azteca and an interested I/O. We're just not sure if we can attract that hard-to-find soccer mom crowd. But we should expand there. It has a booming youth soccer contingent and there would be no other big-league competition, just minor league baseball and one American football game per year.

Sachin

24. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    At the very least, in a non-World Cup year, they should have MLS All-Stars vs. MFL All-Stars

25. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

never ever going to happen....After over 100 years of the football league we are not going to ruin it. there has to be relegation and promotion in order to keep the smaller clubs in business....so obviously u are wrong about this 1 and u shouldnt try to patronise people when u dont know what u are talking about.

If relegations and promotions were abandoned div1 div2 div3 and none league football would colapse. sponsers wouldnt want to look twice and media coverage would drop like a brick in water.
    This is a stupid idea that u obviously gave very little thought about what u were saying.....

I know im right U know im right so thats that then....