Project 40 - Is it working?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by jd2084, Aug 13, 2002.

1. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the signing of Nelson Akwari I started thinking about Project 40. Is it working? Who has graduated from Pro 40 and is making a mark in the league? How is the current crop of Pro 40 players?

Also, they call it Project 40 as it is supposed to be for the 40 best players but with the roster limitations it is almost impossible for there to be 40 Pro 40 players in the league.

To help the discussion I went on MLSnet and got the current list of Pro 40 players (however accurate it really is).

Chicago Fire –
    Craig Capano
    Kelly Gray
    Miguel Saavedra
    Columbus Crew –
    Edson Buddle
    Kyle Martino
    DC United –
    Justin Mapp
    Santino Quaranta
    NY/NJ Metro Stars –
    Brad Davis
    Martin Klinger
    Nelson Akwari
    NE Revolution -
    Shaker Asad
    Nick Downing
    Colorado Rapids –
    Kyle Beckerman
    Chris Carrieri
    Seth Trembly
    Dallas Burn –
    D.J. Countess
    Ed Johnson
    Jordon Stone
    Kansas City Wizards –
    Jose Burciaga, Jr.
    LA Galaxy –
    Isaias Bardales, Jr.
    San Jose Earthquakes –
    Devin Barclay

2. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I've seen all of those players except the guy on the Galaxy (who he?).

I'd say it's working quite well, actually. It just needs to be expanded via reserve squads. They are working on it.

3. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Well, define success for P-40. How many players should graduate to full roster status for the program to be successful?

4. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For this discussion why don't we say that success is like beauty - it's in the eyes of the beholder. By that I mean if you think it's a success say so and tell why.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The present crop of Dallas P-40's is pretty strong -- Ed Johnson, DJ Countess, and Jordan Stone all look like they'll become solid MLS players down the road.

In the past, though, we haven't exactly had stellar P-40 players on the Burn.

Serg Daniv is the only Burn P-40 graduate I'm aware of, and he's never exactly been on everyone's wish list.

Other former Burn P-40's include Esmundo Rodriguez (whereabouts unknown) and Miguel Saavedra (now a P-40 with the Fire).

6. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    For a truer measure let's start by looking at P40 graduates that recently have represented the US in Korea:

From the Fire:
    Josh Wolff,
    DaMarcus Beasley

Can anyone else chime in with former P40s from their teams?

7. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NE Revolution:

Only graduate I know of is Rusty Pierce and although he hasn't been on the national team he is a quality starter in MLS and is improving. I say this even though I think he's a dirty hack.

8. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injured....probably out the rest of the season. He's the only player on the roster who hasn't stepped on the pitch this season.

9. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am pretty sure mike petke of the metro stars is a graduate of p-40

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Anybody who gets into the Florida camp is a P-40 right? Well Landon Donovan was there and I can't think any greater barometer fo success. Don't forget, we have 14 year old Freddy Adu there. I think P-40 wanted to finf the best soccer players entering high school and then train them year-round and let them goto the school at the same time.

11. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you refering to the IMG Soccer Academy in Bradenton, Florida? A lot of P-40 players have trained there at one time or another, but certainly not all players at the academy are P-40.

12. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--

No... until 2000, the only Metro P-40s had been Carlos Parra and Barry Swift.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Was Landon a Project-40 player? He might not have been because I think P-40 is associated with MLS.

14. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Scott Bower who is on the injured reserve for the Quakes is P-40 until the end of this season. Then more than likely will be cut or traded.

Bobby Convey was P-40.

15. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    The Galaxy have usually made a mess out of their Pro-40 acquisitions. The list includes Jose Botello, Marvin Quijano, and Isaias "Chi" Bardales Jr.(the jury is still out on him).

We did have a kid who showed promise though, but I don't know what became of him. There was a rumor that the player and family did not like Sigi very much. I think his name was DaMarcus Beasley.

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: how is it decided which P-40 players go to which teams? Draft? Scouting? Central allocation?

BTW: As to DMB, I thought the problem was that his family is from Fort Wayne, Indiana, and did not want their youngster that far (Los Angeles) from home. Where did you hear that the problem was Sigi?

18. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Brian West and Bobby Convey were P-40s and they are regular starters for their team. I think it is too early to tell if the program is successful or not. Give it till 2010 then we will see.

19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    P-40s go to the team that drafts them now, either through the SuperDraft or one of those weighted lotteries. But the MLS can dictate which team gets a player depending on their age. If a high schooler, a team has to show they have a set-up for living and schooling in place for the player in question. And usually the team has to be close to the player's home town also.

If it's a college aged P-40 in question then any team can take him.

20. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    I wish I could remember where I read about the Beasley's displeasure with Sigi, but a lot of it stemmed from Sigi's treatment of Jamar when he was coaching the U-20's. I think I read it on a now-defunct internet website.

21. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    so far P-40 is producing results. Here at DC Convey and Quaranta are in the program and are bonafide starters and Mapp looks promising as well.

With the Bradenton Academy that is for the U-17 team and is run by the Federation, not MLS. Though most of those players go on to sign P-40 contracts. LD was not a P-40 because he signed with Bayer, but the rest of the players on that team were P-40's or went to college.
    It was a better situation for the players when they had the P-40 team in the A League, but since that was disbanded they sit the bench. Though that is still alot better for their development than playing in college.