Project 2010: Attainable?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Asprilla9, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Who's talking about conspiracy theories? That was a US failure out there from top to bottom, in a match that some outlets had handicapped as the US with four points in hand being the favorite against Poland, with no points. We got screwed, and I'm more than willing to admit it was our screwup.

2. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's fine...but don't say "we got screwed"...

"we got screwed" implies there being something unfair about the results, which, if i am to understand your post correctly, is not what you are saying. so, we didn't get screwed, we just lost. there's quite a difference.

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I accept your apology. :)

4. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    I'm willing to accept those consequences. The gloating over my european co-workers will more than make up for the loss in underdog status.

5. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    To say somebody, 6 years out from being placed into their position on a WC team, is "unproven" misses the point. EG, EJ, Spector, and Szetela are just as likely to fail as someone is likely to replace them. You sort of bring that up in the second sentence but then sort of let it drift there without realizing it helps prove my point.

As far as a world cup quality left midfielder is concerned, a 28 year old Beasley (unless he cripples himself) is fine quality. Remember, this 2010 we're talking about, not 2006. In 2010, to believe we'll have 4 or 5 of the top 100 players, whether those players are Adu, Johnson, Donovan, Szetela, Spector, Gaven, or Bocanegra, in the world is hardly a stretch. And 4 or 5 of the top 100 players in the world is enough to make you a contender.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    One way to stay optimistic about the USMNT on 06 and beyond is to rely on the fact that this team has long been better than a mere sum of its parts.

Just looking at teams ranked around and behind the US by ELO : Croatia, Uruguay, Norway, Turkey, Nigeria, Russia, Ukraine. Those teams are stacked with star players on some very good teams and yet the US usually performs at a higher level without the same quality individuals.

7. SherwinRazmy

SherwinRazmy New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    They are snobs to African and Asian countries as well my friend.

8. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Hmmm. An interesting comparison. I think this is an excellent point. I wonder how much of a factor hype plays here that those Nigerians, Turkish, etc. get to be stars. (Which makes you more right, not less.)

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Howard, Countess, and/or Cronin

Unless we run a 3-5-2...but Spector, Gibbs (who I like as a LB, at least for the time being with Boca and Pope in the middle), Simek, Whitbred, and Karbiyasoon (sp) all have potential here. JOB is also a potential candidate, as are Convey and Albright.

Bocanegra, Spector, Gooch, Gibbs, Marshall...we'll wait to see how it pans out, but my bet is 2 of those 4 guys will fit your bill. Fro Adu??

Adu

Donovan, Beasley, Gaven, Szetela

Clark? Convey? Mapp? Dempsey? Martino?

Eddie Johnson

This one'll be tough. Santino Quaranta can do it if he ever gets healthy enough to play up to his potential (he's still only 21 or 22, got a lot of years left in him). And of course we don't know what 14-year-old kids are out there who'll be 20 in 2010.

I see Freddy as the top-5 midfielder and GAM as the WPOTY candidate. I really do think he's that good.

The question is the attack. Most of those guys need to pan out. I'm not worried about the d because we'll have a world-beating keeper--if Howard never regains his form of last year, then Countess or Cronin or someone will step up, no doubt in my mind.

10. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Just to make it clear; this is a question, not a statement..

But doesn't the us often play...well...not so good sides, alot?
    'cause of the geographic placement don't you play alot of "not-the-best-in-the-world-sides?
    When I've heard of European teams traveling to usa to play friendlies, the E. teams often comes over with a b-squad, and not making their "star" players travel the long distance?

Where does these National teams you mentioned come "around usa" on a ranking? ;)

And I'm suprised (but impressed) over that Norway is mentioned in this sort of content, 'cause I guess the only "star" players Norway got is Solskjær and Carew?! :)

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, there was your Steffan Iversen at the Spurs ... but if you don't like it, I can make Norway into the list of "overachievers". :) Oh, and the two are forwards, which is a biggie.

As to the US vs. the world : the last time when it made a meaningful foray into Europe was in early 2,002 when it played Italy, Germany and Northern Ireland on the continent and then hosted Holland in Boston. It lost all four games. (The CONFED Cup'03 was technically not very European in flavor).

However ... here's a thing. I am of the opinion that the US is really of two teams : team A consists of its Euro based players while Team B is mostly MLS based and there's a huge chasm in between them. Bruce Arena has basically played a mix&match style rather than fitting his style to the Europe based Yanks and will not probably change much until after the Hex when he will attempt to mold a stable roster amid the style that fits it.

In 2,004, this led to the string of mediocre results against some less than average teams. But when the US pulls its players together for a long camp and fields out a tight crew, then it does very well against some stiff opposition. Historically, it has done very well against Mexico, Uruguay and Argentina and had some very close games against Brasil with one win.

It has had a mixed record in Europe but, with the US talent going overseas, this will probably change for the better also.

And it can only beat whom it can play. And if Euros fail to recognize it, then they'll pay for it during a World Cup.

12. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    SteffEn Iversen is actually a HUGE hit in Norwegian side Vålerenga at the moment, who hasn't lost a match since Iversen made his debut! 14 matches if I'm right.. (He is at the moment veeery hot on the transfer market.. Most interested club is Italian side Lazio.)
    Vålerenga chased RBK to the very last minute in the Norwegian League, and only lost the N. League on goal difference.. I can safely say that I doubt there has been a more exciting end to a League in history! Hehe..(Just for the record, Rosenborg has won the Norwegian League 13 years in a row, 1 year away from world record...)

There was some norwegian league football history for you... :rolleyes: ;)
    No no! I like it! Hehe
    Why is that a problem?

I can see your point there!

We'll see ;)
    Will we see you in Germany in '06?

13. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Let me be the first to congratulate you on your incredible optimism. :)

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya, I think either Dagbladet or Aftonbladet had him as the top rated player in the entire league.
    I don't read Norwegian but I can look at the tables/team standing and check out the player ratings ... of course, sometimes you click on a wrong link and see a photo of those two "enviromentalists" doing the deed on a rock concert stage ... anything for a cause, I guess.
    Only if Norway can overcome mighty Belarus ... but with so many BATE Borisov players on the Belarus roster, it might not be possible!

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I'd agree the usa collectively plays beyond the individual sum of talent...

AND, this is why arena is such a good manager...fundamental question becomes whether his successor will be able to similarly achieve....

if every promising player pans out and gets close to MAX performance, then USA will be in the mix to play with top level squads....having to win 4 matches against elite from the 2nd round on will require a lot on match-ups and sheer luck at PKs....

personally, I'd say the success rate of young talent will be 50-50.....if half become as good as we perdict, then that's a good rate...and there'll be a couple late bloomers who we don't even have on our radar, who'll be better than anyone can count.....

2054...that's the magic year....usa wins usa wins...mass delirium on big soccer 2054!!

16. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I don't think Belarus will be much of an obstacle ;)

17. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Aftonbladet is Swedish.. But I guess you knew that? :)

Hehe.. Yeah, that was a huge deal, apperantly.. Did you know the guy pulled down his pants in the court?
    Belarus will not be able to stop us! :rolleyes: ;)

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  19. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, it certainly did some positive things for our national team.

I'm tempted to rep just for successfully digging up a five year old thread.

20. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    SgtSchultz, you kinda predicted the future.

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    That was indeed an impressive bump. I think the re-roganization of our Youth Club system was the biggest step we took towards contending for a World Cup title. We don't need a soccer nation, we need an inclusive system that offers soccer to anyone who wants to play.

22. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, blast from the past. I had to see what I wrote 4 years ago...

Nice job, self - I still think the same way. We can't break a bunker to save our lives.

I don't see us as a darkhorse for the title, though. What's worse, if the El Salvador game is the start of a trend, we won't have the luxury of a playing an unprepared team, either.

23. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can do it!

We're just playing possum right now. ;)

24. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+