Professional Development Leagues thread

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Aug 16, 2013.

1. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And I'm well aware that it better he starts now, since Phil turned up, than never at all. The point is: it's odd he needed him to explain it. I can appreciate young footballers might not know who Gazza is, or Ricky Gervais, or David Cameron, but I'd have expected him to know this.

2. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    A lot of kids don't do extra training, i'm not really surprised by this. Of course it can vary from club to club and players will have their own tailored programmes in some cases, but doing extra work after training is a quite scarce when it comes to English players these days. I'm just glad Sims will be doing it now due to his involvement with the U18 setup.

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Frank Lampart is talking again in today's Sun about players of 18 with their pink boots thinking they have made it, when they haven't.

4. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Frank Lampard also had his dad pushing him every day in training making him work on his weak points, also the WH fans were always slagging him off, and saying that he was only at the club because of his dad, so you combine Lampard's work ethic and stubbornness to prove people wrong made him turn into the player he is, obviously his situation was fairly unique with his dad there. But it just goes to show if you have the desire and work ethic to make the most of your ability you can go as far as you want in the game, injuries permitting.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Supportive and encouraging parents are indeed important. Perhaps all supporters should be encouraged to slag off young players to aid their development? Mind you if the team loses a few games the fans won't need encouragement.

6. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    not sure where to put this but Spurs held an U18 tournament friday/saturday involving West Ham, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Everton and Benfica. Tottenham won it by beating Everton 5-1, drawing 1-1 with Madrid and beating Benfica 1-0 in the final. Carter-Vickers, Maghoma, Amos and Edwards played

7. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Villa U21 v Arsenal U21 on skysports 2 now

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A very impressive performance by Chelsea today in their 4-1 win in the UEFA U19 Competition. RLC was more dynamic than usual, making some surging runs. The second goal in particular was exceptional, with him weaving through opposition players bunched in his own box, running with the ball sixty years before releasing it simply, ending up with Solanke putting the ball away by the far post. Other goals from Brown (2) and Aina.

Arsenal won 2-0 (Hinds 2), Liverpool 4-0, and Man City 4-1.

9. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  11. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kaikai's a bit like Zaha in that he's full of skill and tricks out wide, though last I saw he wasn't as robustly built. Nice prospect though.

12. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just hope he doesn't get advised as poorly as Zaha! Haven't noticed Kai Kai in any national squads but maybe soon he'll be given a chance.

13. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Good wins for City and Chelsea today in Uefa youth league. City beat Roma ( ntcham and Ambrose )2-1 whilst Chelsea hammered Sporting 5-0 ( Abraham 2, Solanke, Colkett and Musonda )in Portugal which sounds impressive since Sporting have a great youth set up.

14. khoazany

khoazany Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #114 khoazany, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Some result in the U18s league today - Chelsea 12-2 Anston Villa!Hat-trick for Boga and Muheim from Chelsea.

England U16's Lewis Thompson and England-eligible Angel Gomes were also named on the bench for United U18s today.96' born Ollie Rathbone with a hat-trick for United.

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Solanke and Abraham score twice each for Chelsea and Hepburn-Murphy got one for Villa.

Perhaps most interestingly, Wakefield started at right back.

16. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Not entirely surprising tbh, Fikayo Tomori got injured before & Wakefield is the 2nd choice, unless they play Josh Grant there. Today's result is probably one of those days happening for Villa plus we played both Boga Solanke, this level is far too easy for them.

Interesting player for me is Tammy Abraham, scores loads of those & like Solanke can play across the line. One to watch, 14 goals in this season already....

17. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Grant's played there most of this season with Tomori at CB (Brady's had tonsilitis) but Wakefield does have experience there, played there as a schoolboy on and off. Edwards said it was to help his defensive game; moving him back gives him a viewpoint from the position he's meant to try to help. They've done it loads down the years too, Affane, Knott, Ahamed, countless others.

18. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
  19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So how do I see the list? I can see the readers comments and some "old git" complaining about clicking 20 times. But what exactly do we click on?

20. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    You should be able to see a club by club guide and if you click on each club badge theres a pop up of the player they reccommend. Ive looked on my Iphone and Ipad and had no problem. Hope that helps

21. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    It should work, it's not coded in flash or anything, it's mainly javascript with some jquery. Try hitting CTRL+F5, if that doesn't work try updating your browser.

22. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks for that folks. I managed to see the "interesting ones" using the wife's crap tablet. Some of them I crossed off the "could be good" list some time ago.

23. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Anyone know much about Hamza Choudhury? Was reading on the england youth footy blog that Utd, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Barcelona are keeping tabs on him but I havnt seen that much to be honest.

24. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Seen him once, very impressed. Rumours of interest from elsewhere are a creative agent at work as usual, best ignored.

25. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If he is a legit talent i would expect him to make his Leicester City debut this season