Professional Clubs in Paris other than PSG?

Discussion in 'France' started by StoneIsland, Jan 15, 2007.

1. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be in Paris the weekend of May 26, 2007. I would have liked to go see PSG, but, from my reading of the schedule, they're going to be out of town. I'm assuming that, like London, there is more than one professional club in Paris. What are the other clubs worth seeing near or in Paris?

Since my only experience with watching professional football live is the MLS, I don’t know that I’m stuck with going to the top of the top flight. A nearby Ligue 2 club would suit me just fine.

Thanks.

2. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    Well, assuming that france is like the UK is going to have a lot of problems, especially in football because most if not all the major cities in France only have one top flight team. Even if you're talking professional, it's still a little tricky, but you have some options :)
    There's Paris FC who are currently playing in the equivalent of Ligue 3 (national)

if you like Rugby you should check out a Stade Francais match, it's quite impressive as well.

The top flight experience is the best however, and if you have the time it's always possible to take a short train ride to Auxerre or Troyes

3. Gotham PSG

Gotham PSG New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    On May 26th?
    The season will have ended by then, so you won't see much, expect perhaps a Coupe de France final, I don't know when it will be, but it's at the Stade de France

I just checked, the league ends on the 26th, and we'll be playing at Lorient
    Then there's Ligue 2, but it ends on the 25th, and Creteil will be playing at Guingamp, so both teams will be in brittany for the closing weekend
    If you wanted to watch Paris FC in National (L3), then their last game is on the 25th, in Paris, so you'll be missing their last game against Yzeure, wherever that team hails from.
    And the Coupe de France final is on May 12th

Bad luck

4. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    French Football League lists May 26, 2007 as Matchday 38. PSG away to Lorient.

Troyes is home to Lens. Valenciennes hosts Auxerre.

No?

5. Gotham PSG

Gotham PSG New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    If you want to bother to go to Troyes or elsewhere, might as well get the TGV and hope to get a ticket for Lyon or Lille, it will be easier to get there, and you would watch good teams

6. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm probably flying in on the 19th, so going to a game on Friday the 25th wouldn't be out of the question. I think it would be great to check out Paris FC.

7. Gotham PSG

Gotham PSG New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    That changes everything, I thought you were arriving on the 26th and wanted to see a game the same night.
    Yeah, watching Paris FC might be a good idea, and who knows, perhaps they might be playing for a spot to move up to L2

They are 7th right now, 6 points behind the leaders
    To be honest I have no idea how that team is doing, but I think they have a shot at going up
    http://www.parisfootballclub.com/resultats

8. HADJI

HADJI New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    RC Lens
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There was actually an article about expanding the amount of Ligue 1 quality clubs in Paris, in Le Monde the other day. I read that Bernard Tapie is involved in possiby doing something at the Stade de France.

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yeah I read about that a long time ago but it seems that now he might go back to work for OM under the new ownership.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    a pickpocket at the SdF? we're on our way chief!
    [​IMG]

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Its not just in soccer because I believe in the top divisions of the rubgy and basketball leagues in France there is only 1 Paris team each also.

12. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    Dupont et Dupond :D !

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    je dirais encore plus... dupond et dupont! (check the moustaches ;) )

14. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thomson and Thompson :D

15. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it turns out, I didn't get a chance to go to a game. However, Paris was wonderful, I had a very good time, and I hope to go back someday soon when I have a bit more money and can enjoy myself even more.

16. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Great ! :) See you !