Problems with the Waldstadion roof?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by adam, Jun 29, 2005.

1. adam

adam Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Minneapolis
    Hopefully it can be fixed and won't happen again. Is this the first time the roof has been used in heavy rain?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    I wish the wind had been blowing slightly stronger and soaked all them fake brazilian fans in the crowd. Brazil, the Man Utd of international football.

3. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    oh man what a shame in front of the whole world... :(
    i just got back from the game.
    you have to add though that that was one of the heaviest thunderstorms we had in the last decade or so...
    the roof isnt really supposed to be closed in heavy wheather, so i really dont understand why they had to do it today... well i guess it saved us all a great match that it would have never been otherwise but still....
    i just hope they can easily fix it...

gotta love the whole stadium whistling when sepp blatter was announced though... that was pretty loud.... :D

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Oh finally someone said it.

20.000 Germans in a Brazil shirt, alienating to me.

5. sting-ray

sting-ray New Member

May 16, 2005
    Bad Zw'ahn
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ********ers :mad:

6. pappa

pappa New Member

May 4, 2005
    The roof was pretty funny. Had to chuckle when the fans kept cheering just because of a corner

7. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    How safe is that whole thing, was there any chance of the whole roof collapsing, including the cube?

8. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    I can assure you that there wasnt...

9. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    It was a shame that there was a hole in the roof, but still I think this stadium is great. When I saw the teams entering the sold out stadium with the roof closed and the giant cube in the middle on TV, I was just happy to live in these modern times.

10. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    This won't happen again, the ppl in charge of the stadium won't let it...this stadium is quality and it is one of the best stadiums in Germany.

11. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    I dunno where the Doc was sat, but I was there under the roof behind the goal where it's usually standing and not too far from where the corner of the the pitch and the press photographers :D got a good soaking. The problems were not just restricted to the folding roof (which is what everyone is discussing), but also to the permanent roof under which I was also sat........It leaks! :mad:
    Many seats (I was on the 7th row) were not really usable as the rain poured through the roof in places onto many fans, including me.
    The building company has some explaining to do with that section of the roof.
    And at one point the upper parts of the stadium were clear of people fleeing the rain pouring through where it was open to the elements at the top.

Just as well that there is a year to go before the World Cup.

12. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    According to our local paper HAZ the roof leacked because there was a rope not put right (es war nicht richtig gespannt, to lazy for translations). The rain btw was so strong that it caused most streets to be unusable nbear Frankfurt and the planes on Frankfurt airport had to stop landing and taking off for 45 minutes (someone said it was the worst rain for Frankfurt for over 10 years), so I think the roof did do quite a good job.

13. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    thats what i heard too 96squig. One of teh steel-ropes that hold the folding roof didnt lock in right, thus the roof wasnt stretched tight enough at that place and so the water collected all in that place....

about the rest of the roof being untight, i think what you mean is the rain coming through the free space behind teh last row of seats. as it was so windy, it blew right in there and soaked the whole upper stand.
    i hope they will put some kind of protection there... we frankfurt-fans have been asking for that the whole season as also in winter the wind blows in pretty cold... hopefully now they now what we mean...

Luckyly I personally didnt have any problems as I sat on the balcony between the upper and lower stand just about 5 meters away from where Günther Netzer and his gay friend had their studio... :D
    Fun stuff when they came out and we yelled "Günther Netzer Mattengott..."

greetz, Äppler

14. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What I wanted tzo add is that it was a ventil that let the water thrue, so it was all planned for if some water collects in one place before it gets to heavy.

15. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Ok, it was a little bit embarassing but if not for the roof we would have had another "Regenschlacht von Frankfurt" because that was a huge thunderstorm.