PRO Roster

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ptref, Feb 27, 2018.

1. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed there have been some changes to the PRO roster.

1. 3 new ARs have been added: Jeremy Kieso, Chris Wattam, and TJ Zablocki
    2. There is a new tab to list officials that will serve as VAR. 17 total listed as VAR.
    3. There have been some changes in the roster regarding 4th officials. Looks like Kevin Terry Jr is VAR only now, and Nima Saghafi has been upgraded to Referee.
    4. Geoff Gamble, who hasn't worked as a referee for some time, is now listed as VAR.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kadlecik has also retired, to take a staff or consultant position with PRO.

Saghafi's upgrade effectively happened last year, but the website has finally caught up to speed.

Also, as I noted in the other thread, there were several failures and some no-takes on the fitness test in preseason. I believe seven referees and two fourth officials are not clear to work on the field. So for the first several weeks there is going to be a logjam at VAR and you're going to see a lot of referees pull repeat duty at the CR/FO positions until at least 3/24.

Oh, and as usual a bang-up job from the IT or media department at PRO. They can't even get pictures of their VARs, instead using the PRO logo as their headshots, and they spell Toledo's first name wrong. It all screams "professional."

Geko repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Mendez also FO last year or do I have that wrong? He's listed as a VAR now.

I also thought Guido Gonzales Jr. would move to the FO role, rather than just VAR. That's another one to keep an eye on.

4. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    MassachusettsRef repped this.
  5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting distinction here is whether "fourth official" is now--in the context of the race to become a referee--superior, inferior or equal to "VAR?"

On the one hand, VARs don't have to pass fitness and it seems pretty clear that certain veteran referees are going to move to VAR as they retire from on-field duties. Moreover, it's also clear that certain younger officials who hadn't seen the field in awhile (Terry Jr. and Gamble) have shifted over.

But on the other hand, several of the listed VARs have a much higher chance of seeing an MLS field than some of the FOs--it just might take awhile. So maybe there is no hierarchy? And maybe the FOs are just not trained to be VARs (though, I think Jallow is)?

I suppose it's also possible that, over time, "Fourth Official" will be a status that PRO phases out and that all new hires have to work through the VAR system first.

Mendez and Gonzales Jr. will be two people to keep an eye on. Their inclusion as VARs, instead of FOs, surprises me. I wonder if we will see them between the benches at all this year.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  6. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. I'd rather see him doing USL centers and improving than become the next Radford.

7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I never thought this could happen a year ago, but what happens if VAR is scrapped by FIFA and removed from the Laws?

Some of these younger VARs, I believe, are already committing themselves to a full time VAR role. They are pretty much content to be a VAR only in MLS.

What happens then?

UEFA has pushed back VAR for another season. It looks like the FA will be removing VAR from another round in the League Cup. So leagues and tournaments aren't exactly jumping at the bit to implement this.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yes. But VAR duty is going to be just as frequent as FO duty. Officials on both lists are going to be doing USL whistles, still. It's just a question of which status with PRO is a quicker path to MLS whistles. I figured FO still is, but I guess the answer isn't clear.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than contractual or CBA issues, I don't think it will affect too much. A few older referees who hoped to stay around will retire. A few of the younger referees who weren't going to make MLS and put their eggs in this basket will retire. And a couple female referees will leave MLS duty unless they pass the male fitness test. Then you'll be left with a dozen or so officials who will be right back to where they started: doing FOs in MLS and/or USL whistles, waiting for their chance to be elevated.

That was a long way of saying I don't think there are too many younger referees committing themselves to a full-time VAR role permanently. There are a couple, but most who are dedicating themselves to it now see it as a vehicle to on-field MLS duty.

No, and I think that's a good thing. I'm particularly happy about the UEFA decision. But we're going to need to see an absolute catastrophe in Russia for FIFA and the IFAB to even admit serious reforms are needed, nevermind a full scrapping. I think that, even in a worst-case scenario for the VAR system, leagues like MLS will want to be one of the guinea pigs used to tweak and improve the system. So if the experiment gets expanded, nothing will change here from a personnel perspective.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kadlecik is the most hands on assignor I've had. He's always pushing his refs to strive for improvement and sending out video clips pointing out examples of the good and not so good things a referee did in a match. I guess he will be filling his time with other things during the spring and summer.

11. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    I saw the Week 1 assignments today and I didn’t see Alan Kelly’s name anywhere? Is he injured or something?

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Given MassRefs post above, I'm guessing he's fallen into this group.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  13. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Oh. Well that sucks.

14. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids