Pro/Rel Again (Prompted by USL for Sale)

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by millwalldavey, Aug 17, 2009.

1. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they don't. To dominate the CCL teams need to be able to have the depth to compete in multiple competitions. Pro/rel won't do that.

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're an idiot.

3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    You're a moran.

4. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're sexually attracted to Peter Beardsley.

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why?

The USA would need a strong set of clubs outside MLS for it to be remotely worthwhile.

There's no sign at all that that situation is getting any nearer in the forseeable future.

Do you think if the premiership scrapped pro/rel the top sides would get worse?

6. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No because the money is already their.

Well no salary cap would help.

7. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That helped make your point look even more logical.

8. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't you think that having no cap and no pro/rel would achieve the same result?*

* ignoring the detail that while some clubs would get better, others would get worse, and worse supported, and invariably fold.

9. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Based on what Garber said, it's not small group of fans. Even MLS coaches want to see it happen. The main marketing target of MLS is soccer fans who watch EPL, LaLiga, etc, and come out in 80k when those euro clubs come visit US. They probably consider a league with pro/rel more legimate and serious league.

I believe pro/rel is good for the growth of soccer in US.

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Did you feel a breeze as you posted that?

11. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    let's not waste time and forum space.

12. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    at post 636 of the thread, it's a little late for that.

13. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I was referring to that particular comment.

If anybody thinks that the subject and discussion is waste of time, simply unsubscribe /ignore.

14. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you think the average US soccer fan is so shortsighted that they base the legitimacy of the league on whether teams get relegated or not? Are the NBA or NFL legitimate leagues?

Most Americans I know who don't watch the MLS make the decision based on the standard of play. Like I said earlier - look at the farcical means that the Mexican league uses to crown it's champion. People take the league seriously because of the standard.

Don't tempt me.

15. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is the only american league where teams play in international competitions.

If MLS didn't play in CCL and SuperLiga. I wouldn't care about change.

16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's a case for expanded rosters and higher salary caps. What does it have to do with pro/rel?

17. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Like I said it's based on what Garber mentioned. He said 'our fans and even our coaches(note plural) scream for it'

If its small group, that's good and easy for Garber to handle, just ignore.
    Why did he even bother to mention that?

By the fact that Garber bothered to mention it publicly, and even admitted that coaches think it's necessary tell me that the demand is significant enough. Maybe they did some sort of market research/survey.

Tell EPL LaLiga watching soccer fans that because of business model blah blah blah, there's no promotion/relegation in MLS unlike every other football leagues around the world. They'll get more of the impression that MLS is sub-mediocracy mickey mouse league.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    C'mon, barroldinho. I love it when people publicly complain about posters wasting forum space and then contribute nothing to the thread. It's especially gratifying considering the poster and their posts in this thread.

19. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Based on the general reaction on BS, I'd say that it's a vocal minority screaming for it and that they scream based on it being "like other leagues". I'm not sure why the coaches would want it.

When I talk to any football fan about the MLS structure, I point out the NASL and the fact that the game has neither the teams, nor the fanbase to sustain a viable multi-tier league structure. They tend to get it.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Promotion and relegation gives teams an added incentive to spend more on player talent than teams in a closed league. This suggests that the overall quality of play will be higher in an open league than in a closed league resulting in more competitive games and higher fan utility.

Competition among top division teams to avoid relegation produces more spending on player talent than large market teams in a closed league.

21. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Personally this is one of the reasons I'm for pro/rel.

In single entity, revenue sharing, closed system, the motivation is much much less.

22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would like to see some genuine evidence of that, aside from that skewed study you keep posting.

How come David Beckham, Juan Pablo Angel and Cuatemoch Blanco are all playing in the US for decent wages vs the hundreds of other leagues that have pro/rel?

How come the MLS is more of a destination league after a mere 14 years of existence than many in the world that existed decades before it?

Again, when attendances and revenues are appropriate, Garber will expand the cap, or the roster, or even add a second DP slot and the teams will improve in moderate unison, meaning that when (not if) the US starts to compete with Mexican teams for the CCL, it will be a case of at least a dozen strong teams and a competitive league people will watch.

The benefits of being a team in such a league will be incentive enough to field as strong a team as possible.

23. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Do you watch Mexican league matches?
    If I don't have a local team that is associated with MLS, I would be careless about MLS.
    I rather invest my entertainment time watching the highest level of soccer.

24. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you kidding the average wage per year in MLS is $80,000. All the young players are leaving MLS for Europe and all the DP's are going to Europe on loans, what does that have to say about the league?

A-league is going for pro/rel and they don't even have a minor league.

Why is the attendance down at this same time 5 years ago about 5,000 fans? It's because the same old stagnant play is getting boring, that's why.

BTW it's not the economy

25. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do watch it on occasion, yes.

But what does that have to do with pro/rel? Do you think you'd stop watching the EPL, Serie A, La Liga or any of the top level leagues if they did away with relegation?