Prinz is German Player of the Year 2002

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by KarlMai, Aug 15, 2002.

1. KarlMai

KarlMai Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Witzenhausen/Germany
    Club:
    FF USV Jena
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. KarlMai

KarlMai Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Witzenhausen/Germany
    Club:
    FF USV Jena
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    An interview with Birgit Prinz about this win in today's edition of Kicker magazine:

kicker: Are you surprised to be Germany's POTY?
    Prinz: Well, I didn't expect to win it a second time.
    kicker: Why?
    Prinz: Hm, I am here in the States now, far off the screen.
    kicker: what does this award mean to you?
    Prinz: A lot,because the sports journalists show with it their respect for what I have achieved.
    kicker: Steffi Jones took place 2, Nia Künzer place 3. Any comments about your competitors?
    Prinz: We have had so much success together with 1.FFC Frankfurt, there really is no competition between us. Both are outstanding good players.
    kicker: Since June, you are under contract with Carolina for 2 years. How do you like it there?
    Prinz: I have been accepted very nicely and enjoy the relaxed life here. And it is great to be able to focus totally on soccer.
    kicker: What is new for you regarding the playing?
    Prinz: The league is more balanced and competitive; you always have to give 100% to win. Unfortunately the (creative aspect of) playing comes a little bit too short, the physical play and athleticism are dominant.
    kicker: What are your goals for the future?
    Prinz: I want to get far in the play-offs. But first of all I want to develop myself farther, as an athlete and as a human being. Awards/titles are less important than that.
    kicker: You have been voted POTY twice in a row. Will you get the hattrick next year? ^^
    Prinz: You never know how a season goes, so much depends on the team performance as a whole for the individual player. And although I will play in the first half of the Bundesliga for 1.FFC Frankfurt, afterwards I will be back in the US and out of the German perspective/ off the screen.

3. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Wow, thanks for posting!! That is wonderful for Birgit.

What does "the first half" of the Bundesliga mean? Does it mean she will be joining us earlier next Spring? (I doubt it but that would be wonderful).

4. KarlMai

KarlMai Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Witzenhausen/Germany
    Club:
    FF USV Jena
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry for being sloppy with the translation, but I really found no better term...

The DFB article says about that question:

"Starting in September, Prinz and Jones are supposed to play again for their former club 1.FFC Frankfurt, for half a year until February 2003. Afterwards both will return to the US."

If I remember correctly, this year Prinz came only after the UEFA Cup final on May 31. So this would definitely be earlier :)

(And don't worry that she'll be exhausted because of playing all year round without a break...The Bundesliga will start after the winter break in March, so obviously if Birgit really returns in February, she had a few weeks rest and will be fit again to play for Carolina^^)

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm assuming (hoping) she means individual awards/titles!

I see she's returning to the Bundesliga soon. I really hope the year-round play doesn't wear her out. The top end of the men's game is finding that there is, in fact, a limit to how many games a year players can play and not get hurt.

Good article, thanks!

6. jvanark

jvanark New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Great post!!

I very much agree with Birgit's comment about athleticism being a dominating factor in this league. Hopefully, as the league mature's there will be an increase in creative playmaking which will make the games all the more fun to watch and will rub off on the US players and make the US Women's NT that much better.