Primera to be Reduced to 16 Teams

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by ricv56, Jul 26, 2003.

1. ricv56

ricv56 New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Bellflower
  2. EvilRick

EvilRick New Member

Jun 4, 2000
    Guadalajara
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ah, finally some good news. I was getting tired of teams changing locations and stinking up the tournament.

3. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I think 16 is a good number to have in the first division. There are enough games to get teams playing consistant.. AND less wear and tear.

This will help the FMF calender alot. Although blatter wants 16 team leagues... the FMF already said they will reduce the number of teams.. they said they made a mistake expanding.. and not because of competition.. but because of the workload.

OFF TOPIC

thats 2 times he has been in Mexico in the past 5-6 months.

both times... the FMF and corporate sponsors have talked about possible international tournaments in Mexico. Blatter likes what he sees. He was there for the new FMF HQ inauguration. HE said it was by far the most impresive and modern HQ he has seen. He was also there when they inagurated the Centro Pegaso (now Centro FMF de Alto renidmiento) in late 1999.

They talked about the NEW Victoria stadium in aguascaliente. MAN.. was I impressed. a couple night ago.. Noticiero TD gave a tour of the stadium and its facilities... WOWWW.. just awsome stadium. build for 25K. THe designers anticipated exapnsion so.. in the near future.. the stadium will host almost 30-31K without altering the appearance of the stadium. THe seats are awsome. the have the seating designs like in Azteca.. but they have lighting bolts... Also, Necaxa's new pratice facility and Casa Club will be finished within the year... that also looks extremely nice. Its a good time to be a Necaxa fan.

One thing that FMF president said when De La torre was there... he said that there has not been a stradium built since 1986... that is not true.. Morelia and Pachuca's stadium are 10 years and younger.. In fact... Pachuca is remodeling thier stadium (like they always do every year) and by december... they should whole stadium should be roofed.

right now...

Azteca
    Olimpico Universitario
    Azul
    Jalisco
    Corregidora
    3 de Marzo
    Huracan
    Morelos
    Universitario
    Tecnologico
    Nou Camp
    Victoria
    Nemesio Diez
    (am i missing any others?)

are all fit to host any international event. granted, i wouldnt give it to Olimpico, Nemesio, and Tec.. because I dont like tracks around the pitch..

Also , President Fox invited Blatter to the presidential house and assured him that when Mexico is called up.. they are already ready to host anything.. and that the sponsors and finacial backing is there.

I hope Mexico gets the World Club Championship in 2005 :D

4. ricv56

ricv56 New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Bellflower
    yah, I think 16 is plenty. Right now you could break it down like this:
    perennial contenders:
    Toluca
    America
    Morelia

not quite perennial contenders:
    Cruz Azul
    Pumas
    Chivas
    Necaxa

solid primera sides:
    Santos
    Atlas
    Monterrey
    Tigres

flirting with the danger zone:
    Puebla
    Pachuca(back down to Earth now that Aguirre is gone)
    Atlante(their recent performance notwithstanding, they've been in danger of relegation in recent seasons)
    Tecos

recent promotions:
    Real San Luis
    Queretaro
    Veracruz
    Chiapas
    Irapuato

As far as I can tell, there are about a dozen teams that are in no real danger of relegation, at least not anytime soon. Add to that a group of four teams that are capable of putting together a nice run of a few years or even the odd spectacular season and it makes for a competitive league with a greater proportion of meaningful games.

Counting on four clubs out of that group of eight (danger zone and recent promotions) to be solid year in and year out is a surer bet than hoping all eight will be able to sustain a level that is worthy of top-flight status.

ricv56

5. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Damn I missed it. Is that show shown in Los Angeles. I would have loved to see it.

I will be catching the Necaxa vs Atlante match in Aguascalientes. I will take pics and post them in the Necaxa thread at a later date.

Is the stadium an all seater?

Counting the days...

6. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    i only saw seats. The stadium looks great.

"that also looks extremely nice. Its a good time to be a Necaxa fan."

except that Arias is still the coach :p
    maybe he will change his anti-futbol style this season?

7. NacionalTJ

NacionalTJ New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Tijuana, Baja Califo
    I saw the inaugural game today and I was impressed. The stadium is awsome and it has a European look, very nicely done Necaxa.
    What I want to see now is if Vergara will keep his promise of building the most modern stadium in the world for Chivas :p
    I also heard Santos had plans for a new stadium, and they really need it, they just might have the crappiest stadium in the top flight.

And for all of those who care: no, construction of our new TJ stadium has not begun :(

8. Kell Cantona

Kell Cantona New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Thank god, I think that reducing the league to 16 is a smart move,that way the league will be more competitive.

About Necaxa´s new stadium...I loved it! it's small, but beautiful, european style, I think it's time for other teams to start thinking about building new stadiums for their teams...god, a flashback of Colibries stadium in Morelos just went through my mind.... stadiums like that shouldn't be allowed.. hehe.

Uh, and National TJ, I´d like to see that wonderful stadium Vergara promised...though maybe that project will become a reality when he gets the best mexican players and the best coach on the planet like he also promised...*sigh*