Review: Primera A League Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by NYC_COSMOS, Jan 23, 2011.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ***Clears throat...***

[​IMG]

cigar_city and Burr repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @cigar_city Belluschi has announced he won't continue at San Lorenzo, and it's being rumored he may return to Newell's..

It'd be a bit of a retirement home between him, Maxi Rodriguez, Figueroa, and Formica, but man you can't deny the technical quality there would be in that group.. maybe you could even add Scocco to the roster in the near future.

3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a new team in the Primera A!

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So a team that won 9 games last season and finished 6th, and zero wins in the promotion playoff final got promoted over the team that finished first? Good lord, I see the stupid formats aren’t limited to the Superliga. :speechless:

5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree that promotion playoffs are dumb: it should just be the two second division teams with most points being directly promoted.

However, this stupidity isn’t only limited to Argentina. In England, for example, Aston Villa were just promoted to the Premier League after they won their playoffs following a 5th placed league standing.

Similarly, Hellas Verona were just promoted to Serie A through playoffs after finishing 5th in Serie B (13 wins in 36 games)

Go easy on us, we aren’t the only incompetent ones when it comes to this matter it seems

Moishe repped this.
  6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least in England the top 2 go through guaranteed. The playoff is for the 3rd spot.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Right. That is one difference. The other is 3 rounds of promotion playoffs (8 teams instead of 4); and long season versus a short one (40+ games compared to 25).

Burr repped this.
  8. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:coffee:

locoxriver repped this.
  9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So the 2019-20 fixtures are out.

Season kicks-off on the weekend of 26-29 July
    River v Boca: Aug 31
    Racing v Independiente: Feb 1
    Last weekend of the first round: Feb 29/Mar 1

Will this be the last mickey-mouse season before returning to a proper single-table next season with 22 teams? hmm.. might have to endure 2 more.

10. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think so. I thought the original plan was by 2021-2022 the league would go back to 20 teams to undo what the fat fvck did

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, definitely 20 teams for 2021-22. I'm just thinking: I supposed its feasible to do a single-table, double round-robin with 22 teams for 2020-21. That would mean 42 matches for each team, which is a bit high but doable.

The format that is being implemented this season doesn't work too well with 22 teams. But I suspect they will still use it. So 21 rounds followed by a cup round where the top 12 from the first phase play another 11 matches against each other (32 matches total).

12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So how many games will it take for @RiverGaucho to call DDR a violent thug?

I’m just fooling, of course.

Kinda...:D

Moishe, Burr and locoxriver repped this.
  13. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not gonna pin a ton of hopes on the guy given that he's 36 and all but it is cool that one of these big European names that always profess about wanting to play in La Bombonera actually goes to make it happen. He could have easily gone to MLS or Saudi Arabia or whatever to make a couple more million but instead he goes for the passion of the game. I respect that and hope it works out well for him, more than whatever benefit he might bring to Boca.

14. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I do respect De Rossi for making a move based on passion rather than making money in MLS or China. He was also wanted by other Italian clubs including Fiorentina, but out of respect for Roma, the team he supports, he went to Boca.

I do however find when players from other countries profess their love for boca because of maradona to be a bit strange. While its true that Maradona is a boca fan and has a box at la bombonera, he is also a fan of newell's, argentinos juniors, and a bunch of other clubs. I think at one point he professed his love for Ferro. There's also the point that at the time that De Rossi was watching Boca, Maradona was actually probably Boca's worst player. He missed 5 penalties in a row, and these penalties would have actually won Boca the Clausura i believe it was in 96. He won only one title with Boca, and while he was brilliant that year 1981, there's no denying that his presence and poor penalty taking cost your club points in his second spell.

It would be like River having a statue for Mario Kempes- but even that would be more worthy because Kempes never cost River points as he stayed in europe at the end of his career. Or River having a statue for Alfredo Di Stefano. Yet we know these players are more identified with Valencia and Real Madrid and while they did their parts to win a few titles for us, there are tens of players who have done more for the club. Boca should have a statue for Manteca Martinez or Oscar Cordoba or Jorge Bermudez, yet they have Maradona for what i can only assume are for marketing purposes.

Having a statute of Maradona because of his fandom for the club, is like River having a statue for Guillermo Villas or Gabriela Sabatini. ITs quite frankly pathetic.

15. Figoli

Figoli New Member

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 27, 2019
    As it seems Independiente is likely to sign Lucas Romero. Would be a key player for Becacecce. Thought he was one if not the best player against River for Cruzeiro

16. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news? I really don't understand why Gimnasia is doing this. They're already in relegation territory, they better hope this doesn't finish them off. Maybe Maradona can give them a boost in morale the way he did for Dorados, but I wouldn't count on any actual coaching he does.

17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its really sad to be honest.

You see Gimnasia fans buying jerseys with Maradona 10 on the back... The guy is the coach for gods sake! And unlike a River fan wearing a Gallardo jersey or a Boca fan wearing a Guillermo jersey, Maradona NEVER played for Gimnasia and has no affiliation with the club other than the fact that they are the only team stupid enough to sign him.

How many practices will he miss?

How long before he blames someone else and then quits?

This is going to end in tears and its pretty sad to see these gimnasia fans acting like idiots.

Sort of sums up Argentina at the moment, sadly.

Burr repped this.
  18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hats off to Colon for making it to the 2019 Copa Sudamericana final after eliminating Brazilian giants Atletico Mineiro in semis.. sure, Mineiro might not be going through their best moment, but it’s still a historic feat nonetheless. In the final they’ll be facing Independiente del Valle, who also pulled off upsets eliminating Corinthians and Independiente in the process.

Still can’t understand how the hell Atletico Tucuman let their idol Pulga Rodriguez go (and even worse, for a meager $400,000). He just might be the most clutch player in the entire futbol argentino, and he proved it once again tonight

Burr, SupaMario, Moishe and 2 others repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Jajajajjajaja sos un desastre independiente :ROFLMAO:

Btw what ever happened to @Andrés_ ??

Burr and SupaMario repped this.
  21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think the guy does a podcast with the Hand of Pod podcasters. I haven’t listened to them for a lonnnng time but there was an Andrés who supported El Rojo that was on the podcast.

locoxriver repped this.
  22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL what a ********ing joke... changing the relegation/promotion rules with only one round of play left in the season.

Only AFA man, I swear...

Burr and Moishe repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What did they do?

And I was under the impression that there were still 12 more rounds left (pro/rel is determined after the full 34 matches), no?