President LFV "We want to be European Champions again"

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Frank Cunha, Jul 15, 2005.

1. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Doesn't surprise me

[​IMG]

but you know friendlies... you can't really tell much from them.

2. kingmonkey

kingmonkey New Member

Aug 8, 2004
    That doesn't mean sh1t. BlueSq.com have odds of 50-1 for Porto to win and 80-1 for Benfica. So what.

It's got nothing to do with odds, it's to do with having the right combination of excellent players, a good system, a top coach, a board that backs the team and staff 100%, recent European experience and even a full stadium.

Benfica has some but not all of these things so that's why I don't think they have a realistic chance of being European Champions this year.

3. SLB1904

SLB1904 New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    I don't expect all the Porto and Sporting fans to sing Benfica's praises, that would be against their religion. But over the last 4 years Portuguese teams have made it to the final of every single European competition ( 2 UEFA Cups, 1CL, Euro2004, some people except all the anti-Benquistas in here, would loook to that as a sign that Portuguese soccer has just as much qualitiy if not more than some of the bigger spending teams/leagues in Europe. So naturally you would assume that the CHAMPIONS of Portugal with the same team and with a few better players and coach would have legitmate chance in this competition. Once your in an elimination round anything can happen, just as Porto found out when a Tim Howard gift and a non-existent off-side call got them past their toughest opponent and onto European glory.

4. SFC

SFC New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Portugal
    To be fair, you have to admit the Porto team that won the CL was miles away from their domestic competitors.
    You can't use them to assess the entire League's quality.

And Man Utd got their goal in Porto from a free kick, after an inexistant foul ;)

5. kingmonkey

kingmonkey New Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Yes you are right the quality has improved recently, and yes Portuguese clubs have made it into recent finals (Not Benfica however...). But to say that because Benfica are champions that makes them a threat in the CL is nonsense. How many points did you win the league with? With the lowest points total for a champion in God knows how many years. All the big 3 were awful last season with Benfica the best and most consistent of a bad bunch.

That doesn't make them Europe-beaters.

6. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Come on guys let's be realistic. Benfica has a slim, almost miniscule chance of winning the CL. But if somebody told me last year in the beginning of the season that Sporting would play the UEFA final i would have said the same.

Like Mourinho says in todays age, team involved in 4-5 competions can say they have a great season if they 2-3 titles, Benfica is in 4 competitions (CL, League, cup and supercup). If we win 2 i will be happy.

Not always the best teams win the CL, case and point Liverpool last year that finished 5 or 6 in the domestic league, you need some luck as well.

7. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Are you an artist???? You should work for Disney!!!!

8. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005
    I felt Sporting had the best team on paper, Liedson, Pinilla great in the attack, Duoula, Sa Pinto, Tello, and Viana great on the wings, Moutinho, Rochemback, Martins, and Moutinho great in midfield, and Polga, Enarkahire, Rogerio, Rui Jorge, Paito, Beto, and Miguel Garcia, shoring up the backline in front of Ricardo.

This year the team's are closer in comparison - Porto are still trying to find their chemistry, and Benfica is very strong in all areas except in attack. It's really hard to predict how they will finish.

9. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

I think Sporting looks worst than last year, and so far they have made any great strives on getting some quality players. They lost Enarkahire, Parbosa and Rui Jorge. Pinilla is a ? and Liedson doesn't seem motivated (Jardel Syndrome). Porto on paper has more quality players. The addition of Lucho and Lisandro are a + for a any team. The coach seems to know what he wants, so i predict that they will have a more consistent season. Benfica has improved, if not by keeping the same team and adding a few quality players.

10. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well said eurodad!!!

11. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    Portistas are the most Cockey fans in the world ever since they won Uefa Cup.Your all saying we have ZERO chance?and what Porto were the favorites to win?Hell no get real seriously,you guys act like you were Gods gift to football or something.Your not you are the most annoying fans ever really you said we have no chance winning league umm what happened?im not sure i have a bad memory but i think i THINK Benfica won league can someone refresh my memory?You guys talk way to big thinking your the best when your not your only excuse for not winning anything this year is saying that the refs cheated for Benfica when that is pure bullsh!t,and you know that you just cant handle loosing and it shows your true character when you cant take a loss it shows you have no class what so ever.And go ahead say stuff about me give me bad rep i dont care its only the truth im not trying to start anything but seriously you have to watch your words its really annoying

12. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I won't get into a long discussion in reply to this because this is the Benfica forum and this particular thread has nothing to do with SCP...but you should go read the SCP forum and then see if Sporting looks "not as good" as last year...

13. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    I never wonder in that part of town!!! :D

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Who said anything about refs? So are you saying Benfica were assisted by the refs? :confused:

And yes we are cocky. When you are this good you have the right to be COCKY!!! I think we need some more shelf space in our trophy room this year.

15. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    When you are this good?lmfao your not THAT Good get your head out of your own asses and no i didnt say Benfica were assisted by refs if you can actualy read you moron you would know that i said you try to blame it on refs sayign they help us which is **************** learn to read

16. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yes we are THAT good. You have access to a television and internet. Just look up Porto's successes. Not that hard to do is it?

Well, you started talking about the refs so no reason. Usually that a sign of a cover up or guilt......

Learn to read? I have to when you type this grammatically incorrect garbage. :confused:

17. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    What a load of rubish.
    Benfica improved :confused: where? Was it at right back or is it karyaka or Beto?

They will be flops, mark my word.

18. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I hope you are correct :D

19. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I did not think Benfica would be overly strong this year, but with all the Porto guys puting them down, they must think Benfica is a real threat to them. ;)

20. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    It's all the portuguese Media propaganda that has been giving all portuguese people subliminal messages. Only the strong can fight the attempt of brainwashing but the thought of Benfica is always there. :mad: Dam propaganda!!!! Always making crap look good :mad:

21. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    You sound like Tony Robins now.

22. SLB1904

SLB1904 New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    And yes we are cocky. When you are this good you have the right to be COCKY!!! I think we need some more shelf space in our trophy room this year.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry you have plenty of shelf space....

23. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Teams are only as good as their last seasons, and Porto are only good as second place until Co shows he has something to fix the egos and make his players fullfill their abilities.

24. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Now who's talking crazy? :D

25. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    You also guranteed Benfica would lose to Sporting at the Luz last season, lmao. :D

Beto and Karyaka are very good players. Also, I think Beto will have a bigger impact on Benfica than Luis Loureiro will have on Sporting and Jorginho will have on Porto.