Presidency question

Discussion in 'Elections' started by verybdog, Nov 1, 2004.

1. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Let's say Bush Sr. is 60 years old, and he wants to run for president again (noted that he had served only one term). Is that allowed concerning the Constitution?

2. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Where does the Constitution say that?

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22nd ammendment

4. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Grover Cleveland served 2 non consecutive terms. I learned that from watching and episode of the Simpsons.

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grover Cleveland was also pre-22nd Amendment.

6. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    It doesn't say anything about successive terms in the 22nd Amendment.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am22

7. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Yeah, I was just going to edit to say that since it's not expressly denied, then it is allowed. :D

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A president can only serve two terms. They do not have to be consecutive. I think only one president has ever served two non-consecutive terms [Cleveland?]

10. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was pointed out, that was served before the 22nd Amendment was ratified. At that time a president was not limited to two terms.

Historically, the amendment was pushed by primarily Republicans as a backlash against the four terms won by Franklin Roosevelt. It has come up repeatedly since then when there has been a popular two-term president (Reagn and Clinton in particular) as maybe not such a great idea. Personally, I hate term limits because it takes away the voters right to choose who they want. For example, if I wanted to vote for Clinton now and he won a majority, he would be ineligible for the office. Not a good system IMHO. (Even though we might still have Clinton as prez, which I would hate)

11. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I don't think there should be a term limit for the presidency, unless there's also one for the House and Senate.

If there is a limit, it should be three-terms. Twelve years is plenty for anyone.

I have a problem with the current system because a two-term president is practically a lame duck over the last two years of his second term.

By the way, Grover Cleveland is officially listed as both the 22nd and 24th President of the United States. I believe at the time there was some controversy over whether he should get a second number or just be kept at 22. Congress had to pass an act stating him as number 22 and 24.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I don't believe that's technically true. Johnson served a term and half and could have chosen to run again. I believe you can only run for two terms and serve for 10 years max. Were Kerry to die in office exactly two years after he becomes President, Edwards would be able to run twice more, I believe.

13. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely correct. If you serve less than half of the previous elected term, you can run for two terms on your own. Thus, Johnson could have run for another term as Kennedy was more than half way through when assassinated. Another way to look at this is that one can only be elected president twice. There is also a technicality here, because if you have served more than half of your predecessor's term you can only be elected once. This was discussed when Reagan was shot.

14. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    More to the age comment, there is no age limit in terms of how old you can be to be elected. Aside from being at least 35 years old.

15. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Another question.

If G W Bush won tomorrow, can he run again in 2008?

16. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    No, a constitutional ammendment in the late 40's restricted the amount of terms to two. A reaction to F. D. Roosevelt dying in office after being elected to his fourth.

17. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if he resigns less than two years into his second term.

18. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't tease me.

19. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    The 22nd amendment says, "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice..."

If he wins tonight, how many times G W Bush has been elected?

So he can run in 2008!

20. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got it the first time, it just wasn't funny, so we pretended it was a legitimate question so that you wouldn't be embarassed about posting such inane drivel.

21. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Forgive me. I just wanted to make fun of GWBush.