Preseason 2011

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by Mookie141, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Here's the low down of all the happenings and chatter from opening day of preseason. :D

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/ny/news/press_releases/110301-preseason-opens.aspx

Roster

Keepers
    • Karen Bardsley
    • Jenni Barnham
    • Kristin Arnold
    • Erin Guthrie
    Defenders
    • Anita Asante
    • Brittany Taylor
    • Kendell Fletcher
    • Michelle Wenino
    • Danielle Johnson
    • Lauren Alkek
    • Kika Toulouse
    • Lindsey Johnson
    • Kelly Lawrence
    • Kirstin Medeiros
    Midfielders
    • Therese Sjogran
    • Tobin Heath
    • Heather O'Reilly
    • Caroyln Blank
    • Carrie Dew
    • Allie Long
    • Alyssa Mautz
    • Angie Kerr

Fowards
    • Eniola Aluko
    • Laura Kalmari
    • Kiersten Dallstream
    • Casey Nigueria
    • Kim Newsome

2. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    How many aren't in camp yet? I know Nogueira is with the U23s and Heath and O'Reilly are with the WNT, but I was wondering if anyone had an official number of how many aren't in camp yet?

3. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That is a very good question that unfortunately at the moment I can not answer.

SN: I was multi-tasking yesterday and butchered Casey Nogueira's name.

4. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I was just wondering how it was affecting the dynamic of camp, if some of our more "star" players aren't there. I'll be glad when they're back working with the team for sure.

And no worries...it's easy to butcher Nogueira's name.

5. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I was at training today - they had an open tryout. Players who are not in camp yet are HAO, Tobin, Aluko, Sjogren, Asante, Bardsley and Kalmari. They will all be joining the team in Turkey - except for Tobin and HAO. The vibe was very good - workmanlike and seemed very upbeat. Was very different from the past two years. Jim and Rick were having fun, and the players seemed to be too.

6. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Appreciate it Gerry! Mookie doesn't have direct hook-ups to the team. (Plus I'm in school trying to keep zee grades up) It's good the hear the players appear to be taking this season more seriously. If there was anything that peeved me the most about last season it was that.

7. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Dec 16, 2010
    You're not alone there - it was a joke sometimes - very unprofessional. This year it will be great.

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Sky Blue FC will have two of their preseason matches televised from the Antalya Women's Soccer tournament in Turkey on Fox Soccer Plus (Channel 621 on DirecTV). It's a pay channel, but if you have DirecTV, you can call up, and they'll let you try out Fox Soccer Plus for one month free of charge. You'll just have to remember to cancel within less than 30 days, or you can keep it, because it is filled with nothing but the world's greatest game. This is the first time I've seen women's matches televised on Fox Soccer Plus.

Antalya Women's Soccer Tournament - 4 teams (March 17 - March 19)
    March 17: Sky Blue FC (USA) vs. Fortuna (Denmark) - 11:00 am (Eastern Time)
    March 17: LDB Malmo (Sweden) vs. FK Energiya (Russia) - 8:00 am (Eastern Time) (just before Sky Blue match)

March 19: 3rd place match - showing at 8:00 am (Eastern Time)
    March 19: Title match - showing at 9:00 pm (Eastern Time - on delay)

All four matches are shown on Fox Soccer Plus (Channel 621 on Directv).
    If you have DirecTV, try out the channel for free, but must call in and have them ensure it's free for a month.
    If Sky Blue beats Fortuna, then they will be in the Title match.
    If Sky Blue loses to Fortuna, then they will be in the 3rd place match.
    I'm assuming they will be a favorite to beat Fortuna from Denmark, but anything can happen.

*LINK*
    http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccerplus/tvschedule

9. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Dec 16, 2010
    SBFC defeated the Russian champions 3-0 today in a friendly - with two goals coming from Casey Noguira(sp) and one from Therese Sjogran - from what I've heard it was a solid performance, but more importantly the team is really gelling, with no ego's or attitudes.

10. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated roster for round of cuts:

Sky Blue FC
    Eniola Aluko
    Kristin Arnold
    Anita Asante
    Karen Bardsley
    Carolyn Blank
    Jenni Branam
    Kiersten Dallstream
    Carrie Dew
    Kendall Fletcher
    Erin Guthrie
    Tobin Heath
    Danielle Johnson
    Lindsey Johnson
    Laura Kalmari
    Angie Kerr
    Allie Long
    Alyssa Mautz
    Kim Newsome
    Casey Nogueira
    Heather O'Reilly
    Therese Sjögran
    Brittany Taylor
    Kika Toulouse
    Michelle Wenino

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    thanx for the info!! just set my dvr for all 4 games.

12. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  13. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After second round: down to 22

Eniola Aluko
    Kristin Arnold
    Anita Asante
    Karen Bardsley
    Carolyn Blank
    Jenni Branam
    Kiersten Dallstream
    Carrie Dew
    Kendall Fletcher
    Erin Guthrie
    Tobin Heath
    Danielle Johnson
    Lindsey Johnson
    Laura Kalmari
    Angie Kerr
    Allie Long
    Alyssa Mautz
    Casey Nogueira
    Heather O'Reilly
    Therese Sjögran
    Brittany Taylor
    Michelle Wenino

14. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  15. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Dec 16, 2010
    A fantastic addition to the team bolstering the attack both when the WWC call-ups are out of market, and making it more lethal when they are back. She's big, fast and has proven to score goals at every level. Can she deal with the physicality of WPS - I guess we will find out.

On another note, SBFC just finished a scrimmage with Rutgers - who even played some of their graduating seniors, and it was a pretty easy game. I believe the final was 5-0 or 6-0 - not sure.

16. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I really appreciate you dropping in to provide insights and updates Gerry! :cool:

17. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Dec 16, 2010
    No problem - I notice your country of origin is listed as Spain - how do you feel about the new signing?

18. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh no, I'm not from Spain. Spain is the men's national team that I pull for. I suppose it's time to switch it to US since the women's world cup is coming up in a few months. While I don't agree with certain methods I still support the USWNT.

19. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky Blue and Penn State ended 0-0 in a windy game in East Brunswick. Each side dominated the half with the wind in their back.

Opening game next Sunday nite at Rutgers- suggest to bundle up!

20. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Is Section 5 still poppin?

21. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giase: Women's Professional Soccer reaches a critical juncture

http://www.nj.com/soccer-news/index.ssf/2011/04/giase_womens_professional_socc.html

"...The other problem lies with the league itself. Clearly on the bottom in the sports media landscape, it does nothing to promote itself. For two years, the national wire services have sent out box scores on each game, but do not write stories on any game until the playoffs.

Also, player transactions, which helps keep main sports leagues in the news on a daily basis, especially in the offseason, are not provided to media outlets, via either e-mail or press releases. Sky Blue opens its season at home on Sunday. Do fans realize that U.S. national team stars Christie Rampone, Carli Lloyd and Yael Averbuch, or fan favorite Natasha Kai, are no longer on the team? Or that New Jersey native Tobin Heath, the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2010 by Atlanta, is?

The WPS is at a critical juncture. The league needs to get its act together, but if fans want to ensure a Year 4, they have to show it in their attendance and support this season."

22. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I have to admit it brought up a good point. Though I do believe the die hard fans that have stuck with (and will stick with no matter what happens) the team and league do know these transactions took place. Many die hard SBFC fans that I know do know. I remember seeing a vid at that Kool-Aide posted at the beginning of (I want to say) last season, when the only player some casual fans knew was Tasha Kai and they couldn't name what country Koster was from.

It Lloyd, Averbuch, and Kai's departures were made public knowledge as was the Heath pick up (as part of the 3-pack). Christie's transaction wasn't shouted from the mountain tops.

That said I think the league is going a more grassroots approach this year. Not only that but many basketball fans have no idea of the little trades that are made between teems. One might know Carmelo Anthony was traded to the New York Knicks, but they might not know who were traded in the process.

It's a touchy issue, but they do have to get information more "user friendly" because a lot of older fans or those casual can't just jump in and keep up.

23. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Gabarra this afternoon at a meet-the-team, Adriana will not be joining the team for another week.

24. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Dec 16, 2010
    This is complete bull....Frank needs to read his email more frequently. When we made the trade for Tobin, Eni and Angie Kerr we screamed it from the rooftops. Email press releases went out to every major and minor outlet and it was all over our web site. It is NOT up to the team as to what gets in the paper - if I'm correct it's up to guys like Frank. Frank was happy to accept our invitation to the White House, and be included in the photo with the President of the United States when we won the championship, now it would be nice to see him at our games. Someone should ask him how many he has been to in the last two years!!!

As far as the players that left - they left due to free agency - BY THEIR OWN CHOICE. I would think it is the job of the team that signed them to announce their signing, not the team they left to promote it. How many soccer fans on BIG SOCCER can name all the new players that are in the Red Bulls right now? Did they actually go out and promote the loss of Juan Pablo? I think the media covered it because it was newsworthy - not because Red Bull made a big thing about it.

Frank needs to STOP PASSING THE BUCK and blaming everyone it his path and do his job - COVER THE GAMES, WRITE THE STORIES, SPEND THE TIME!!!!!

25. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    per your request Gerry:

"With big-time coach Jim Gabarra, Sky Blue FC is optimistic heading into season-opener"

http://www.nj.com/soccer-news/index.ssf/2011/04/with_big-time_coach_jim_gabarr.html

This and the earlier story must fill Frank's SkyBlue quota for the season; following normal practice, any next story would follow bad news. Frank will fill his weekly column with player changes in men Europe club teams but has little interest in US women.