Premiership Referees....

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by FutbolCrazy, Feb 25, 2004.

1. FutbolCrazy

FutbolCrazy BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 5, 2002
    Colorado
    must be the worst when it comes to being tricked into calling penalties.

Thanks to the wonders of satellite, I regularly see matches from Spain, the Netherlands, Scotland, Italy, and Germany and IMHO the Barclaycard lot are atrocious.

And the most blatantly bad calls are usually in a tight game and often end up being the difference at the end. Shameful.

Does anyone else agree ?

2. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The worst overall ref is Uriah Rennie.

Also a (dis)honourable mention to Mike Riley. He was Man U's 2'nd top scorer last season.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I might, if I'd never watched a Portuguese match. Or just about any match from one of the South American leagues.

And Stuart Dougal of Scotland has had some adventures that I've watched both on TV and live and in person. I'd put him down there with Uriah Rennie.

4. MightyBees

MightyBees New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    London, England
    i disagree- i think the honour must belong to Spain. Yes are referees are conned badly- but diving in Spain is much worse!

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Worse of the lot ref in the Bundassliga. People like Klose continually get away with the worst diving ever. How can refs. be continually be fooled when they know it happens from week to week. They must watch the replays and say "Ach! He fooled me again...!!!"

6. I personally HATE Graham Poll because of his arrogance. Most refs are arrogant though. Poll had a newspaper article he used to write though. I've seen him on the t.v on different programmes, he wants to be a celebrity. After all this he's a crap referee i couldn't believe he was the English rep at the World Cup.
    I'm sure i remember him saying a not that long ago he'd give decisions just to be controversial. He embodies the meaning of a stupid tw@t.

7. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Rennie is sh!t.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the referees forum there's a thread about which league has the best (or maybe worst) refs. My take (and some others specifically agreed with me) is that German centers are the best, but their ARs are horrible.

MLS CRs are really bad, but if you know about that letter that was released right before MLS Cup 2002, then you know that the league and federation are in large part to blame for that. MLS ARs are great. IMO, they miss a lower percentage of offside calls than in England, Germany, and Holland.

9. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rennie is ace. He's the fairest ref around even if he does have some erattic moments.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well, today's PK awarded to Palace against Newcastle was a joke....not even clear if the ball actually hit Sissoko's hand, and the attacking player got a clear header on goal anyway....

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was saved and Newcastle United won, unfortunately for me because I want Sunderland to survive.
    @mfw13
    If you want many people to discuss refereeing I would post at http://forums.bigsoccer.com/forums/referee.44/ instead of here.