Premierleague.com Drafted League

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by DoctorJones24, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    IIR, Viera led the league last year in Bonus Points awarded, and in general, the Arsenal guy seemed much more liberal with them, than say, the Man Utd guy.

2. 1800-WorldCup

1800-WorldCup Read Nomadic Gatherings - TravelNotes.org/magun

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: further analysis

The very reason I had to pick him first.... by the time the draw got back to me, he would have been gone.

I'm hoping to be active in the transfer market, as always, and none of the players are ever guaranteed a place in the 1800-UK.com team -- not even a Henry or Nistelrooy.

Postiga might be one of the first to go but I felt we needed to give him a trial, just in case he turned out to this year's hot cake.

He's going to need some good service though.... cue Van Bommel.

3. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    PM me he is tradeworthy

All Serious Offers considered

4. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Handicapping the draft:

Mtkillimanjohno:
    Forwards:Henry far and away MVP of the league, so tough to go too wrong. But only playing with 2 strikers (and one of them old and oft injured Campbell) could hurt.
    Mids: Jenas is a risky pick with that crowded New. midfield, and Keane and Savage are both D-minded. But Cole could be a nice late round steal. Tugay is what he is...
    Def/GK: Very solid all around. I'd expect 3 or 4 to start for W.Connetions most games.
    Overall: Big gamble to plan on a "build from the back" strategy in fantasy soccer. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

1-800 UK.com
    Forwards: Sorry Michel, but I'm not seeing it with this threesome. Longtime fantasy waste-products Smith and Heskey, plus an unproven new signing? I can easily see none of these guys still being on your team within a month. Then again, the stars could align...they're not without talent.
    Mids: Verron, Bowyer, Emerton--I like this group, though not sure about Toure. And Van Bommel is obvioulsy a crapshoot.
    Def/G: Tarnat, Weir, Traore--pretty good value. Keller and Lehmann is also the #1 GK combo in our league by a long ways.
    Overall: Postiga will have to be a god to reward your faith in him. I see him more likely as somewhere between a Grabbi and a Maccarone type impact player, which will mean you gave up Ruud or Henry for not much. Tough to overcome...

Darr
    Forwards: Excellent trio anchored by possible league MVP Ruud. Incredible luck to grab him at #3, and Keane and Euell are no slouches.
    Mids: Very good attacking fivesome. Though not sure how much Morris will play. One of the stronger midfields in our league, perhaps.
    Def/GK: High-scoring Silvestre is very nice to have back there. Not sure about rest. Robinson could be peppered all year--don't see many Clean Sheets from him in the future. No backup GK.
    Overall: Nice balance, probably a contender for league title.

Ingromius
    Forwards: Shearer, Hasselbaink, Vasell--excellent stuff.
    Mids: Solid scorers (though not spectacular) across the board, and then Faye, who Jon is hyping bigtime.
    Def/GK: Obviously planning on only 2 starting, and Unsworth/Distin should be a solid combo. Okorokowo is a nice cheap backup to them. Barthez could easily have a comeback year. Then again, he could also lose his spot.
    Overall: Contender with good balance.

DoctorJones24
    Forwards: Sherringham, Radzinski, Solskajer--lots of questions there. Not horrible, but not a team strength. A good ways behind Darr and Ingromius.
    Mids: Best foursome in our league with Pires, Malbranque, Giggs, and Gravesen. Will probably have to drop Berkovic, but he's very good if he stays.
    Def/GK: Only planning on playing 2 in back; good value from Samuel, Cunn, Campo. Schwarzer/Jaask. combo offers nice flexibility.
    Overall: Middle of the pack, but could contend with some striker help.

Clanblue
    Forwards: Nice first two with Djorkaeff and Anelka; Viduka is a question mark, obviously.
    Mids: I'm one of the few not totally sold on Duff yet, at least as a proven fantasy commodity. In general, a very solid midfield of attacking players. Viera scores decently with those Bonus Points awards.
    Def/GK: Probably only playing two, and Le Saux is a top attacking wingback. Will Short lose time this year? Wright might not duplicate last year's stats, but will be solid.
    Overall: Good balance. Could contend with some good breaks. The Djorkaeff/Viera/Le Saux trio reminds me a lot of part of my core from last season.

BuffaloSoldier
    Forwards: Injury-prone Owen, crappy Allback, and unknown quantity in Zamora. Needs LOTS to go right for this trio.
    Mids: Gerrard and Dunn are a nice start, with Siberiski and Kleberson as potential steals.
    Def/GK: Excellent trio in Yobo/Rio/Amoruso and Cudicini could be the best Goalie out there. Best defense in our league.
    Overall: Might also need to play back to front, but if Owen is on, those hat-tricks can come in bunches. If the three mid-draft gambles pay off, this team contends. I'm guessing not, so mid-table seems likely.

JG_Revs
    Forwards: Bellamy and Wiltord are nice 2nd tier guys; Todorov is a gamble. Still, all three should be solid.
    Mids: Fantastic pair in Geremi and Ljunberg, who score like strikers. I also like the Berger call. Not sure about Parker and Silas though.
    Def/GK: Best two scoring defenders in the league, likely, in Hyypia and Cole, with Woodgate as a nice third. GK situation seems a mess, though, as neither guy is likely to play much, if at all.
    Overall: Mid-table appears likely. Will have to move for a goalie before the season starts, probably. Who's available?

Hal
    Forwards: Beattie likely won't duplicate last year's stats, but I think he'll come close, and Dugarry should shine with a year in the Prem under his belt. But he was more a setup guy last year than a scorer, so that needs to change. Phillips is a gamble, and if Southampton goes in a slump, this offense will suffer bigtime.
    Mids: Kewell and Fernandez are great, as is Solano if he can get the PT. Holland and Flitcroft should be solid at worst.
    Def/GK: Good depth here, with Gallas a likely top point-getter. Seaman killed me last year, but he's much cheaper now, and not a bad option at that price.
    Overall: As Southampton goes, so goes the Aviators. I don't see them matching last season, though. Still, this is a mid-table team.

kopiteinkc
    Forwards: Gudjohnsen, Fowler, Burton--lots of questions here. Not a team strength.
    Mids: Excellent crew with Scholes (admit it, he's a forward!), Murphy, Okocha, and Thompson as all studs.
    Def/GK: Has three good point getters in O'Shea, Henchoz, and Bridge, and then uber-keeper Friedal between the posts. It's inconceivable that Brad repeats last year, but he'll still be good.
    Overall: Needs striker help to contend; mid-table otherwise.

My picks:
    League Champs: Darr's NOCTURNAL UNITED

Relegation Losers: 1-800 UK.COM

5. Darr

Darr Member

Apr 6, 2002
    St.Louis, MO

If thats not an SI cover jinx, I don't know what one is... :)

6. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    From the people in charge:

7. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The pressure is off.... it's all up from here. :)

The way I see it.

I didn't want to tie up too much money in the top strikers, or look too much at last season's points.

While I don't see my boys ripping the league apart (just yet), I'm nicely placed to play the transfer market, in order to ride some early gains and increase team value.

RvN and Henry:
    Proven goalscorers and, to 'most' people, are worth their high starting price.

Without Veron (who would have benefited from Beckham's sale to Real Madrid), Man. Utd. will lose some of their creativity from the middle.

Veron had played well in the States, probably because he was in the shop window, and I hope he starts regularly for Chelsea; because I'll need his points.

Klebersen might take a while to settle in and will not be guaranteed regular starts.... one for the future.

I also feel Forlan will get more starts, especially when the squad rotation sets in during Champions League group stages. RvN may be rested at times.

Likewise with Henry. A slow starter and might get hamstring problems, if he's expected to do it almost single handedly on all fronts.

Heskey has been doing well in pre-season and, with Owen's treatment-room history, may play a leading role in the Anfield goal hunt.

And Alan Smith.....

With Hewell gone and Viduka in the rumour mill, someone's going to have to score for Leeds -- occassionally.

I feel Leeds might struggle but Alan Smith will want to get himself in contention for the England squad's trip to Turkey.

Postiga -- Saw him in the European games and he has great potential. Spurs need to give him service though.

Yes, a gamble.... but one I wanted to make sure was in the bag.... my bag.

All three strikers were chosen on what they might do.... and I might get lucky.

If I don't get lucky, they'll go in the pool and I'll dip in for some cheaper wonders and build team value.

In fact, the whole team is very provisional at the moment.

8. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Joe Cole

He's in the database.

MtKillamanjohno -- W.ConnectionFC
    1. Henry, Arsenal 12.0 -- Striker
    2. Jenas, Newcastle 7.5 -- Midfield
    3. Given, Newcastle 6.5 -- Goalkeeper
    4. Southgate, Middlesbrough 6.5 -- Defender
    5. Campbell, Arsenal 7.5 -- Defender
    6. Carragher, Liverpool 7.0 -- Defender
    7. Tugay, Blackburn 6.5 -- Midfield
    8. Keane, Man. United 7.5 -- Midfield
    9. Campbell, Everton 8.0 -- Striker
    10. Svensson, M Southampton 5.5 -- Defender
    11. Savage, Birmingham 6.0 -- Midfield
    12. Cole J, Chelsea 8.0 -- Midfield
    13. Coyne, Leicester 3.0 -- Goalkeeper
    14. Chopra, Newcastle 4.0 -- Striker
    15. Fortune, Charlton 4.0 -- Defender
    Balance = 0.5

Nice call!

9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Clarification for the free for all plese

If a transfer is listed in the premiership forum at 11.59 tomorrow it doesn't count right?

It must read 12.00 right?

What if we have 2 at the same time?

10. Darr

Darr Member

Apr 6, 2002
    St.Louis, MO
    Re: Clarification for the free for all plese

Someone looks like they want to make a run at Vieri?.... :)

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Re: Re: Clarification for the free for all plese

Well, i said right up front in the draft that i took Viduka with the intent of using his money for the purchase of whomever the Russian revolution brought in to lead Chelseas attack..
    http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/european/story.jsp?story=431286
    Looks like it wasn't a bad idea huh?

12. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As soon as they find out it's all laundered money, someone could get their assets frozen.

13. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    :p

14. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indeed.....

Where's the Russian Jews with loads of money? Bring them on down to the Lane.

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

er...they bought Chelsea.
    Abramovich is a Jew by birth.

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Joe Cole

Thanks... I'm glad i was conservative, but lets be honest, this value they place on players is a little arbitrary, both Cole and Veron go to same club, Veron goes for 16 mill Cole goes for 6.6 and Cole is valued the same as veron, i thought that was stupid... now i have a problem, i was hoping that A) Veron did not go to Chelsea (without Veron Chelsea really were not deep in Central attacking midfielders...) B) I had over valued Cole and his value would rise, so i could sell at a profit, C) or that he would play well

If anyone is interested in making deals I am open to them, and Henry is not out of the question, will need to be a multiplayer deal though, probably 2 of my players for 3 of yours.... but others are also available...

17. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Take a look at my players and send me a Pm of a proposal, lets see what we can do.

What exactly is your problem though--is it that you're afraid that Veron and Cole won't be every week starters?
    They won't be.

18. Darr

Darr Member

Apr 6, 2002
    St.Louis, MO
    I would think Veron would be an every week starter... Who do you think the starting 4 or 5 middys will be for Chelsea next season Clanblue?...

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Tought question.
    There can be no question that they won't be the same every week.
    Venue and opponent will be the main determining factor.

This is why i took Duff and never went back to Chelsea.He has no competition for a place and will start every week.

Duff, lampard, Gereemi, Veron...all will get the bulk of the starts though.

But, when you're playing fantasy footie you have to have starters, not good players.

20. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    I think my defense and GK appears to be my team's weakest link at this point. But I see Barthez as the likely starter, even with all the rumors, and Hislop will be the season-long starter for Pompey. On defense, Unsworth is also generally Everton's penalty taker so he usually generates good points. Don't know about anyone else, but overall I'm much less comfortable with my opening day squad than I'd hoped I'd be.

Consider, though, that most managers were safely over the 40 transfer mark for the season last year. I see each team having 3, maybe 4, season-long players, and the rest will flow in and out. A good draft helps but a smart and careful season of transfers wins the hardware. Or so Chloe tells me...

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The price of chese in scotland

Kopi and Darr... check your PM's please...

22. Darr

Darr Member

Apr 6, 2002
    St.Louis, MO
    Re: The price of chese in scotland

Sorry not really interested... Probably gonna hold on what I got for a bit...

23. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe There is NO Vieri

Inter Milan have denied newspaper reports that they have agreed a deal to sell Italian international striker Christian Vieri to Chelsea..... (but then don't they always).

Transfer deadline for the Champions League qualifiers has past.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=273105&cc=5739

Make of it what you will.

24. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I saw that earlier Michel, but, in Italy, "not transferable" equates to "increase your bid" in English as has been long since proven over the years...i believe the Ronaldo dealings were the last evidence of such translation.

Eto'o is also being linked.

The young striker from Mardrid...Makalele (sp)...the list goes on and on...personally i hope nothing happens untill the season kicks off as then the rest of you lot won't be able to buy big without multiple transfer, points deductions for said transfers and totally re-doing yer teams with an almost non-existant pool of replacements..:p

Jon said we had over 40 transfer last season, which i think is about correct for everybody, although i think Hal has about 100 if i remember right.
    This year i don't see that happening as the pool simply isn't there this time with the extra 2 teams in the league.

25. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    MtKill

Check your pms I have made a counter proposal

It would be a blockbuster deal and we'd have bigger headlines than Chelski :)

Let me know before free agancy starts.

Mark