Premier League - Matchday 11 - Arsenal v. Watford - November 7, 2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalMetro, Nov 5, 2021.

1. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I don't find pride in it. I think it’s unfair to expect a young team to last and to compete at a high level for 40+ games. I remember Wenger having a young team that showed a lot of promise (beating Premier league teams in the Carling Cup as an example) at one point, and that never really panned out to much. It’s hard to project future success years from now given that players leave and other teams strengthen. All we know for sure is we are competing with a young squad right now.

With that said, I do like the young players on the squad. I think there is real talent there. I just hope they don't burn out and will/can stay together.

SF19 repped this.
  2. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Really need to pay attention to your predictions and put money on them haha.

Silva 5 repped this.
  3. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York

I agree, but I would add a caveat to that. Just my .02 I think a players "peak years" in this era of 24/7 games is 5 yrs max just my thoughts, unless you have access to elite doping. With that said if you have a player at 5 yrs peak you're looking to have that ideally from 23-25 to about 28-30. So in that sense Arsenal are building, I do agree that we need experience but nowadays there's not a player over 30 I'd take. You even look at the steep regression of Messi and Cristiano in their 30s right and those guys were machines, so the next level of player just won't be able to produce at max rate. I hope that made sense, it did in my mind. Good to see everyone btw.

4. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just last year I felt like Arsenal had the least likeable squad of players in my time watching them. Interesting how a couple windows and the emergence of academy talents has changed this—I feel like this squad has some real character in it now. Obviously people like Ramsdale and Tierney but the emergence of Gabriel as an on-field leader has been a real treat as well. It feels like the personalities in the team are really well-balanced now, and I think credit is due to Arteta for really focusing on that as an important part of roster management.

thebigman, daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  5. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    maskito and daedalus repped this.
  6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    damn.

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's good attacking output, unclear how good he is defensively, and needs a small sample size warning.

daedalus repped this.
  8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Weirdly, he seems
    More of a winger than tierney but arteta employs him further back when we attack

I wish he would do the same with tierney instead of a faux lw

casoccerdad47 and Super Llama repped this.
  9. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the reason is Nuno’s stronger right foot, allows him to play inverted if necessary. At least that might be the rationale from Arteta. But I completely agree, Tierney should be playing further back.

However, crucially, we haven’t seen Tierney in this new 442-esque formation, so maybe his positioning will be different.

thebigman repped this.
  10. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #110 Super Llama, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silva 5, daedalus and maskito repped this.
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just hearing about Auba‘s little(?) calf injury with Gabon… makes me think it’s time for a new MD thread! :)

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Aye. Even if The Reds mark a tough task it will be nice to see the Gunners get back onto the pitch. Maybe coming off the international break will be a good time to catch them.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    NorthBank and GunnerJacket repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Metro. It would be absolutely phenomenal if you were entitled to start the next thread after tomorrow.

But regardless, here's a little BBC graphic that could make us feel like we're heading in a better direction (OK maybe not all of us!)...

upload_2021-11-19_16-37-56.png

DutchCane and GunnerJacket repped this.
  15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I want Liverpool at their best, sadly not likely to be the case tonight but you can only beat who is in front of you.

But Pool, Chelsea and City are clearly top 3 this year. We failed the first 2 tests, lets hope we force a draw at worst and leave with 3 points at best.

3-2 Arsenal.

16. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, our result largely comes down to how well ESR plays.
    Arsecast was discussing that with TAA frequently bombing forward that ESR could really exploit the space he leaves behind. That will be interesting to see. And Saka on the right could really cause problems for them too.

I don't expect anything more than a draw from this, however. 1-1 feels as optimistic as I can get.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who plays, Tavares who has looked excellent or tierney? Either way, they must stay lower like we have in that position post tierney injury

18. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Yep and it doesn't allow us to play our best midfield. It so annoying man

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.