Premier League 2019-20 Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
  2. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    My understanding of the EPL’s decision vis-a-vis offside lines is that they will still be “used” per se, but broadcasters won’t be able to broadcast the painstaking process of setting the points and “drawing” the lines.

I recall on multiple occasions watching the operator place the crosshairs, only to come to a result and start over - totally changing the result of the decision and “spilling the beans” that this is in fact a manual process.

The same process will be used, but media and fans will only see the final VAR output, as is done in UEFA competition (per my understanding).

This way they can give the impression of technological certainty without actually having it :whistling:

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's not what they're doing. They're going to the FIFA standard at the World Cup, that still parses everything with technology as right or wrong... they are just doing away with the drawing of the lines by the VAR that has become (or always was) farcical.

4. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Just to confirm ... is there any system that does the offside “automatically” without the need for a human operator to place crosshairs at some point? I think the answer is no, but I’m not 100% sure.

5. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
  6. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I've heard evidence of such automatic systems at some of my games, though I'm pretty sure the crosshairs were squarely between my shoulder blades...

But yeah I'm not aware of any system with the Kung Fu to eliminate "painting" lines by a human.

7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about? The "Karen" sitting in her lawn chair five yards from the halfway line can see everything without the need for lines. I just ask her if I'm not sure. :D

8. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    We had an fully automatic system in place last year. It had several moving parts but it was faultless. (according to some)

Step one: The blue defender when caught napping as the red attacker moves past him, raises his hand and looks toward the A.R.
    Step two: Grumpy uncle in the fold out chair suitably seated nowhere near the A.R. yells out "offside ref...c'mon"
    Step 3: The blue coach, now with two individual data sets to base his hypothesis, yells "Ref...offside...everyone sees it"

At this point the ref is expected to blow his whistle for offside.
    I didn't say it was a good system, but it is reliably automatic.

SccrDon and HoustonRef repped this.