Premier League 2019-20 Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I was wondering about thoughts on the overturning of Wolves goal in the Wolves v Leicester game.

As for application if the laws, it was spot on. The ball came off the arm and was volleyed into the net.

But, here's the thing... In the run of play, there was no foul called for handling, and it seems to me that the only way that call is made is by VAR. In essence, this is only a foul in top leagues that use VAR. Is this a reasonable view of that call? Is this what the game wants? Is this what we want of the game?

2. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    "As for application if the laws, it was spot on."

That's what i want for the game, I think a question about whether or not we're going to get that can be found in a lot of other more questionable calls than this specific one. Perhaps this post would go better here https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/var-in-review.2078343/page-35

3. 1160443809689481216 is not a valid tweet id

superdave, RefIADad, tomek75 and 2 others repped this.
  4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How amazing would it have been if the ref then scowled, did the thumb down, and then issued a red?

(I’m not saying he should have done that. The reaction was wholly appropriate. But damn, that turn of events would have been funny.)

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something about a Russian giving a thumbs up would make be worry about my safety lol.

jayhonk and IASocFan repped this.
  6. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    You're dismissed.

putin.jpeg

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was away this weekend but just catching up and was going to post on this for a couple reasons. First, the incident is here at 6:52 or so:

It's a question of combining the new law change with VAR. So, three things:

First, absolutely fascinating that no one appeals for handball. Leicester players just accept it's a good goal. Regardless of whether or not this is or is not an offence (more or that in a second) or should or should not be something VAR intervenes on (again, more in a second), it's pretty amazing that IFAB changed the rules to make a non-controversial goal controversial.

Second, this is called an offence because the handball created a goal-scoring opportunity. But did it? I mean, the goal-scoring opportunity was already there. Also, the text of the Law says "gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm." Not to beat a dead horse from another thread, but IFAB really didn't put a lot of thought into copy editing and/or scenarios outside their narrow brainstorming. In this case, the goal scorer gains control/possession after a teammate has the ball touch their hand. From a literal reading of the Laws, it's actually not clear this is an offence. In fact, the other section of the Law here talks about it "not usually" being an offence if it touches an arm directly from the head of another player who is close, which is what happened here. A plain reading of the new Law changes means this shouldn't be called. But a plain reading would ignore the intent of the Law changes, spelled out repeatedly in other documents, where it's "not fair" (or whatever language is used) for a team to score off ball-hand contact. So this gets called. Bottom line is that we have a Week 1 example from the EPL showing this to be a total mess.

Third and finally, the VAR intervention is interesting in its own right. Let's stipulate, notwithstanding my paragraph above, that this is 100% an offence. Yes, VAR has to intervene then. It's black and white and not subjective and occurs in the APP. The real interesting aspect is that because it's now considered black and white, there is no OFR. This may not be just an EPL thing. The ball touching the hand can be considered an objective decision (like whether or not a foul is inside the penalty area) so in theory referees do not have to conduct an OFR for that. It will be interesting to see which leagues go that route and which leagues don't.

socal lurker repped this.
  8. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Saturday 17 August
    12.30 Arsenal v Burnley
    Referee: Mike Dean
    Assistants: Darren Cann, Dan Robathan
    Fourth official: Peter Bankes
    VAR: Chris Kavanagh
    Assistant VAR: Andy Halliday

Aston Villa v AFC Bournemouth
    Referee: Martin Atkinson
    Assistants: Lee Betts, Nick Hopton
    Fourth official: James Linington
    VAR: Jon Moss
    Assistant VAR: Eddie Smart

Brighton & Hove Albion v West Ham United
    Referee: Anthony Taylor
    Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn
    Fourth official: Keith Stroud
    VAR: Darren Bond
    Assistant VAR: Ian Hussin

Everton v Watford
    Referee: Lee Mason
    Assistants: Matthew Wilkes, Mark Scholes
    Fourth official: Scott Oldham
    VAR: Kevin Friend
    Assistant VAR: Marc Perry

Norwich City v Newcastle United
    Referee: Stuart Attwell
    Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Derek Eaton
    Fourth official: Tom Nield
    VAR: Simon Hooper
    Assistant VAR: Neil Davies

Southampton v Liverpool
    Referee: Andre Marriner
    Assistants: Scott Ledger, Simon Long
    Fourth official: John Brooks
    VAR: Craig Pawson
    Assistant VAR: Richard West

17.30 Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur
    Referee: Michael Oliver
    Assistants: Stuart Burt, Steve Bennett
    Fourth official: Paul Tierney
    VAR: Graham Scott
    Assistant VAR: Andy Halliday

Sunday 18 August
    14.00 Sheffield United v Crystal Palace
    Referee: David Coote
    Assistants: Daniel Cook, Harry Lennard
    Fourth official: John Brooks
    VAR: Martin Atkinson
    Assistant VAR: Stephen Child

16.30 Chelsea v Leicester City
    Referee: Graham Scott
    Assistants: Ian Hussin, Richard West
    Fourth official: Oliver Langford
    VAR: Mike Dean
    Assistant VAR: Dan Robathan

Monday 19 August
    20.00 Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester United
    Referee: Jon Moss
    Assistants: Marc Perry, Eddie Smart
    Fourth official: Andy Madley
    VAR: Paul Tierney
    Assistant VAR: Stephen Child

Oliver with the big one - he also handled this match towards the end of last season. Dean at the Emirates, Marriner and Moss with interesting away games for top 6 teams.

fischietto repped this.
  9. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I cannot tell you how many times Lee Mason has taken charge of a run of the mill Everton match!

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im starting to think he might do pretty much one of each top six matchups this season.

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    They just set a fairly high bar for VAR review on a PK shout non-call in MC:TOT. Announcers are talking about "clear and obvious error" and that Oliver would have been saying "I saw it and judged it not a foul," and that's not a clear and obvious error. Be that as it may, the replay indicated to me that Oliver was actually looking elsewhere and simply didn't see it. Thus my question: Does "clear and obvious error" include "clear and obvious miss?"

And is VAR up in this match, or are they speculating prospectively?

12. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #37 Bubba Atlanta, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    OK, that answers that question. Here we go ... wow. There's the new "set up a goal with arm contact" rule.

Is this "what soccer expects?"

EDIT: Scrolling upthread I see there was a similar situation previously in Leicester:Wolves which I had missed, and in which @MassachusettsRef called attention to something I had mentioned in another thread -- i.e., that the new Law says this particular debacle applies when the player whose arm the ball touched gains possession and a goal follows. That didn't happen in either case here.

13. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Law 18 has now been renamed to Law of Unintended Consequences. Literally no one wanted it called, it had no impact at all on the play and it took a microscope to see it touch Laporte's arm. And yet the takedown in the 1H got ignored.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a moment where I get to say “told you so,” right?

15. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Well, it clearly had an impact on the play, but I agree with everything else you said.
    Not being able to score with an accidental handball is one thing...but this is just a step too far.

16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Ha -- no, I get to say "told you so." (See my edit in the previous post.)

OK, we can both say it. Ready? On three ...

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #42 MassachusettsRef, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    I love the pundits who either need to say the rule change is bad or VAR is bad. It’s not either, per se (though I’ve expressed problems with both).

It’s the combination.

The rule change would be something people could stomach without VAR because no referee would ever call this unless they were absolutely certain in real time. And if a referee were certain, it would be rather blatant.

And VAR works very well in certain situations.

But combine the two and subject VAR to a rule that would be VERY infrequently applied otherwise and you have a disaster. And an easily foreseeable disaster. A ton of goals that no one would otherwise blink an eye at are going to be annulled. That cannot possibly be what anyone wants.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  18. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    "A goal scored directly from the hand/arm (even if accidental) and a player scoring or creating a goal-scoring opportunity after having gained possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm (even if accidental) will no longer be allowed," IFAB said in a statement.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yes. There’s also the question of if this is literally a violation. But the best referees in the world are calling it that way and they’ve had the requisite instruction, so I think we need to accept that this is the spirit of the law change even if the text doesn’t quite get us there. Pin that one on IFAB.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to beat this dead horse because the application of the law makes clear how authorities want it to be called, but...

The goal scorer gained possession from someone else’s arm—not their own. And the player who had the ball hit his arm never gained possession. So, literally, this isn’t a violation. But it’s abundantly clear that it’s interpreted as such, despite the actual text.

This is a case of sloppy writing instead of poor application.

21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Exactly, and exactly what did not happen in either of these cases.

22. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Has anybody but us noticed this yet?

23. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Don't just say "I told you so." Shout it, through cupped hands.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is going to care?

If it’s taught that way at the pro level and applied that way consistently, it’s the end of the story.

Might make some lower level recert clinics fun for a few minutes. But if unilaterally everyone decides from the top down what was intended, it’s not going to be a problem.

A problem only arises if some governing body relents or applies it differently.

25. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Here's another peevish nit: Did the scoring team even "gain possession" off the arm in either of these cases? Didn't the scoring team team already have possession in both? The text says "gains possession" (speaking of the armed player, but we're ignoring that aren't we), not "gains or retains possession."