Preki

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by mangerson, Jul 8, 2015.

1. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have at it....

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    God damn it!

3. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if our stepping up to MLS is only a matter of time, Leicester would be considered by many to be a significant step up. Though, I'm a little surprised the Leicester would come to USL (or even MLS) for their next coach, so maybe he's headed elsewhere?

4. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Chicago is about to fire Yallop.

calcmandan repped this.
  5. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I hear Nigel Pearson is looking for a new club....

Knave repped this.
  6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  7. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  9. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I was hoping for Chelis but I'm optimistic about this appointment.

10. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 fortunesfool223, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    anyone worried that Buckle has rarely been manager for more than one season? with a spouse based in NY, i gotta feelin this will be a one-off stint.

- Sorry, meant to post this in the "Buckle" thread.......

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  12. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An excellent (IMO) writeup from Ailene Viosin. I'm pasting the entire article instead of the link in case you haven't subscribed to the Bee online...

By Ailene Voisin

avoisin@sacbee.com

The founding fathers of the fledgling Republic FC feared the inevitable phone call from one of the big boys overseas. They knew Preki and his famous left foot were out the door the minute someone from the world’s elite leagues recognized what the Serbian-born coach was accomplishing in the humble but burgeoning soccer scene in Sacramento.

Two years ago, who would have imagined this? Soccer fans jamming a temporary stadium. A USL championship in the inaugural season. A downtown facility sketched for the railyard. Stunned but impressed Major League Soccer officials visiting and penciling a second Northern California franchise into their expansion plans.

While there is plenty of credit to be shared for the region’s response to the introduction of the modern pro game – among them owners, team executives and marketing officials – Preki’s impact as coach, personnel guru and unofficial public relations executive can’t be overstated. He might be the region’s most influential quick-hit sports figure since Jason Williams dazzled with those outrageous passes and wicked crossovers (1998-2001).

“Preki laid such a strong foundation, and we learned from that,” Republic president Warren Smith said after his coach resigned to pursue a yet-to-be-revealed position with a club in the United Kingdom. “He set a standard that really established what we’re trying to accomplish. And we’ve helped him, too, because of how well we’ve done. We always knew this was a possibility. Frankly, I’m surprised he’s not in the MLS.”

The plan was to ride Preki, 52, all the way to an MLS franchise. Though his contract included an escape clause, Smith attempted to retain his highest-profile employee with a seven-year contract and in recent weeks thought they were close to an agreement.

But the dynamic Preki, who flashes a coy, knowing smile when described as a diva, didn’t hide his personal goals. A former standout on U.S. national teams and in several pro leagues, both here and abroad, he was lured to the third-tier Republic FC by an opportunity to coach, cobble together a franchise – his first opportunity to assemble a roster and dictate style of play by selecting personnel – and educate a community about an increasingly popular and evolving sport.

The announcement Wednesday of his departure came in the middle of an unusually eventful stretch that included: the Americans dominating the final of the 2015 Women’s World Cup in Vancouver; Rory McIlroy, one of the world’s greatest athletes – OK, one of its finest golfers – withdrawing from the British Open because he ruptured ankle ligaments while playing pickup soccer; and Fox Sports revealing the record-breaking viewership from Sunday’s U.S.-Japan rematch.

Preki, who will coach his final game Saturday night, isn’t leaving quietly. His frequent critiques of American soccer will be missed. In the battle between the sexes, he sides definitively with the women.

“The Americans are just way better than the rest of the world,” he said. “They are not as technically good as some other countries, but they compensate in different ways with their physicality, and they are very committed. Also, (women’s soccer) has been in this country for a long, long time and is just evolving elsewhere. Look at how many people in other countries pay attention. Not many. The women are just starting to get recognition in the rest of the world, and this is great for them, and well-deserved.”

As for the men?

We asked, he answered, animated and easily provoked, while breaking a soccer no-no with the liberal use of his hands.

“The sport is exploding here,” he said, “and there is a lot of talent. But we are far away from the Europeans. We are not putting enough attention into developing players. Fundamentally, we are not good enough. Technical ability. Awareness on the field. Tactical ability.

“The only way we can catch the Europeans is to pay attention to something other than the athletic part of the game, in my opinion. Athletic, athletic, athletic, and not enough football. People want to come watch good football, not just players running up and down the field.”

His criticisms and new job prospects notwithstanding, Preki says he retains a sense of responsibility for furthering soccer’s development in the country where he has spent much of his playing and coaching career. He and Smith are discussing plans for further involvement, with the two teams loaning players and participating in friendlies, including matches in Sacramento.

“It took a major challenge for me to go,” said the two-time MLS coach, who is expected to receive ownership shares with his new club. “Let me put it this way: It is like a D-League coach getting offered a job to coach in the NBA. You want to coach at the highest level. But this was an amazing, incredible experience, way better than anything I expected. We feel like we have made incredible strides. My only wish is for it to continue. Because one person leaves, it can’t stop.”

No, but elite coaches in any sport are prized assets. They teach, nurture, maximize their talent. Preki did all that, and more.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article26919424.html#storylink=cpy

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He makes a good point. Athletic ability is something a lot of American athletes have. Probably a lot more than most countries. Michael Bradley at Roma for example would always get sufficient players ratings but mostly because of his non stop running . As a matter of fact, I remember a particular rating in the Gazzetta Dello Sport which stated what he lacks in technical ability, he makes up for with his constant running. The problem is , you can't keep running all day long and rely on your GK (I.E. Tim Howard against Belgium) to come up with constant saves because sooner or later the skill set has to come into play. Its about time that Americans start developing their own (both) Ronaldo's , Messi's and Baggio's etc because they've simply been playing the sport much too long (I say 40 years, since the youth boom explosion of the 70's) to not have these types of players in the leagues.

14. SuperRobin

SuperRobin New Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Club:
    Cheltenham Town FC
    I'd be very worried with that man as manager. He's the worst thing that happened to Cheltenham Town. There was a big party thrown when he got the sack.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe its because he is married to British NBC TV anchor, Rebecca Lowe?

[​IMG]

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest reports are that we is fronting a possible ownership group that is actively pursuing a purchase of a club.

So, who knows?

19. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #22 falvo, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    No clue. I know Frank Yallop I had heard tried to apply to English clubs and he was turned away as soon as he stated he was coaching in MLS and that he coached the Canadian national team. Frank was born in England, has an English passport and even played at Ipswich but they didn't consider him to be a candidate because of where he was coaching. I don't believe he was even allowed to receive a license/permit or whatever they require. Preki may be offered an assistant coaching position though. Knowing Milan Mandaric might give him an edge ...

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is wiki's current post on Preki.....

23. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Maybe he was hanging out w/ Angel Di Maria...Oh wait, he just turned up in Doha, Qatar

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy