Preki named head coach

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by bkelly, Jul 15, 2013.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your really in a mood again, huh? I said he was a decent coach last month and I said it again yesterday. Do you happen to watch MLS? Many teams go from 1st to 4th, yet make the playoffs and sometimes win the cup. Bradley was the shining angelic being in Chivas land. Preki is only one remotely close to him in their history, because despite your assertations, they still won under him and have never done again since. And his only other job was at TFC and everyone has failed at TFC.

I reserve the right to call him decent, considering his past. The fact that at least 2 MLS franchises interviewed him even after he signed with Sacramento only strengthens that opinion.

Now let us return this thread to actual SacRepublic fans and if you have further objections to my opinionated comments, we can take it to PM.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so um...is that a shot across my brow???
    ;-)
    MAS

3. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #28 Neuwerld, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    I would say Preki has a pretty good MLS coaching resume. Not a legend or anything, but definitely a guy who had some success (which is why teams still inquire about him).

Preki is clearly one of the two best coaches Chivas USA has had (results-wise). Bradley brought the team from the bottom of the league to be a respectable playoff team for a season, but Preki took the team and maintained that success for three seasons, taking the team to its peak in 2007. From 3rd in the West in 06, Preki coached the team to 1st in the West and runner-up in the Supporters Shield race in 07, then finished 2nd and 4th in the West in subsequent seasons. In 2007 they won their series with LA for the only time as well.

Preki had little playoff success with Chivas USA, but they did make the playoffs every year when he was their coach. That's unheard of for Chivas today given the last 4 seasons: 8th, 8th, 9th, 9th—bottom of the West every year but 2011 when they finished ahead of Vancouver.

As for Toronto FC, despite his mediocre record with them he is still the second winning-est coach in their history. An 11-11-10 record might look pretty decent to Toronto these days :D. One of only two coaches they've had to not have more losses than wins.

I don't expect anything special from Preki, but I do think he is a solid coach, especially at this level.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree. I don't think he had enough time at TFC to change anything and they got rid of him too fast. I'm still not sure exactly what Vergara wanted from him but looking at them now, he probably regrets getting rid of him like he did as they haven't done anything since they dumped him.

I considered Preki a top player for MLS as he was a two time MVP at an advanced age when most players are retired. He did more (in my opinion) on the pitch anyway, than any other MLS player not to mention DP did. In most leagues, top players rarely turn into top coaches as Ruud Gullit can attest to. I do think however, if Preki is given more time by the right ownership group and/or club, he will one day be a winning coach.