Pregame, Spirit versus Courage

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Tsunami, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the WUSA week 18 matchup article:

Sunday, August 11, 2002 - Carolina Courage (11-5-3, 36 pts.) at San Diego Spirit (4-11-4, 16 pts.) - 8:00 p.m. (ET) - Cox 4 (San Diego); Fox Sports South (Carolina) (Season Series: Carolina leads 2-0-0) (All-time Series History: Carolina leads 4-0-1)
    In the final game of the 2002 WUSA regular season, the Carolina Courage will travel to Torero Stadium to face the San Diego Spirit on Sunday. Depending on Wednesday's results the Courage could still be battling for homefield advantage in the playoffs. The Courage has never lost to the Spirit, winning both of the previous two meetings with San Diego, including a 3-0 win at SAS Stadium on June 29. Carolina, the WUSA's best road team (5-2-2), will look to become the first team in WUSA history to win more than five road games in a season.

Key Players to Watch: Courage forwards Danielle Fotopoulos (10g, 8a, 28 pts. - tied for 3rd among WUSA scoring leaders) and Birgit Prinz (11g, 6a, 28 pts. - tied for 3rd among WUSA scoring leaders) lead the team in scoring. Carolina's "Dynamic Duo" has been wreaking havoc on opposing defenses all season. Midfielder Hege Riise (5g, 12a, 22 pts. - 11th among WUSA scoring leaders) has surpassed her 2001 point total (21 pts.). The Norwegian international ranks third in the WUSA in assists. San Diego's Shannon MacMillan (5g, 6a, 16 pts. - 14th among WUSA scoring leaders) leads the Spirit in both goals and assists in 2002. With one of the hardest shots in the league, MacMillan is a constant threat while San Diego is on the attack. Forward Zhang Ouying (5g, 2a, 12 pts.) combines with MacMillan up top to create a dangerous tandem. Midfielder Lori Lindsey (2g, 5a, 9 pts.) has been a nice addition to the Spirit offense. The San Diego rookie has been able to create scoring chances for the Spirit all season.

Key Matchup: (Carolina forwards Danielle Fotopoulos and Birgit Prinz versus San Diego defenders Joy Fawcett and Fan Yunjie) - Prinz and Fotopoulos are two of the most dangerous forwards in the WUSA. Their ability to create scoring chances and power their way past opposing defenders makes them tough to defend. Fawcett and Fan must also be concerned with Prinz and Fotopoulos' ability to win balls in the air. Because of their size, both are key targets on corner kicks.

The "Inside Scoop": Carolina has already clinched a playoff spot, but will be looking to host a match at SAS Stadium on August 17. The season's best road team (5-2-2), the Courage will try to set a new mark for victories on the road (6). San Diego will try and close out the 2002 season with a victory at home. The Spirit is 3-4-2 at Torero this season.

They Said it: "I think San Diego has played well since the arrival of Julie Fleeting. The last time we faced the Spirit they didn't have Shannon MacMillan. We know we have a tremendous challenge with their talent up front." - Carolina Courage Head Coach Marcia McDermott on San Diego.

Referee: Terry Vaughn. Referee Assistants: Emiliano Monje, Bryan Elliott. 4th Official: Kia Dehpaneh.

2. knm1172

knm1172 Member

Dec 22, 2000
    Valley of edible air
    That's a little better than last week's coach quote of the day.

Somebody turn on Aretha . . . . . . . . .

R - E - S - P - E - C - T

3. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might turn out to be an anti-climactic game for the Courage.

Saturday, Atlanta plays at 1pm Pacific time, and since the San Jose game doesn't kick off until 4pm, they will already know if they have a chance of making the playoffs.

And then Sunday, Carolina will already know if they have the regular season wrapped up or not. So any of their starters that have any nagging (or more than nagging) injuries could be held out. And the team could have a let-down that would allow the Spirit a better chance at finishing the season with a win.

4. lab99

lab99 New Member

May 10, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Right now Philly and Carolina are tied with 39 points each. If Philly loses to the Rays on Saturday, Carolina will still have to beat us in order to claim the regular season title. A Carolina/Philly tie in season points will give the title to Philly on head-to-head record.

5. macnmil816

macnmil816 New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Modesto, CA
    I thought Philly plays Atlanta and SJ plays Boston.

6. lab99

lab99 New Member

May 10, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    You're right, just substitute Atlanta for SJ in my post.

7. Soccersuzie

Soccersuzie New Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Orange County
    its probably not going to be as exciting as last year's game, but hey, lets hope deja vu will work in our favor.

i think marcia mcdermott may be up for the run of coach of the year... if not winning i think. very positive.

8. Poirot

Poirot New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    USA
    I would like to ask the SD fans if they would prefer if Carolina got the first place regular season champs or if Philly got the first place regular season champs. I cheer on SD to win. That would be so excellent. But carolina is really good.

9. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Dear Spirit...

We still think Rhiannon Tanaka was a hackmeister when she punked out Kelly Smith the first time the Charge were out at Torero, but could you do us a favor and please spoil the Courage like you did the Beat; we want another crack at those incorrigibles from Georgia, OK?? :D

Paul

10. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Mark Krikorian and his 3-0 record vs. McDermott says hi :p :)

Paul

11. lab99

lab99 New Member

May 10, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    I think that both Krikorian and McDermott have to be in the running for Coach of the Year with the records that they have both had throughout the season. But I am not sure what criteria they use for actually picking the winner. The fact that McDermott brought her team up from dead last place last year to a titan this year gives her a lot of points I would assume. On that particular aspect, Krikorian already created a successful team last year that went to the playoffs and almost made it to the final. I think that what McDermott did was far more surprising. Either one of them would be a most deserving choice.

12. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Carolina would just as soon take on the Freedom - and I'm sure that the Charge would like another shot at the Atl hooligan gang.

And that's good, because all of us Spirit fans think that the team can make that happen by beating the Courage for the first time this year! I'm assuming that the team will be the same as the last game...

Go San Diego! Go defense! Go Julie & Jules!

Here is the very small thread in the Courage forum, with 2 of the 3 posts being by our own TritonSpirit.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6270

San Diego needs a crowd of 5,818 or larger tonight to have an average attendance at Torero that's higher that that of the Courage at SAS..