1. GodOnEarth18

GodOnEarth18 Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Greenwich
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    i don't think paraguays going to draw nz with the chance at toping the group.

2. Shakur

Shakur Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Spain
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think this will be the most defensive and boring group fo the WC. Italy will made it (common its too easy), I dont know if first seed or second though. And then Paraguay should qualify too, it depends on how they handle games and the luck they have, they could end being the first seed above Italy or end up being eliminated, dont forget Slovakia is also a disciplined defensive team that can give some trouble, they have important players like Skrtel and Hamsik.

Anyway my predictions:

Paraguay --> 7 points
    Italy --> 5 points
    Slovakia --> 3 points
    New Zealeand --> 1 points

3. mnoh312

mnoh312 New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    lol group of death.. literally group of death..

I think I'll fall a sleep watching these teams play. Italy, lackluster team, but I just can't see other 3 teams giving them trouble...

2nd place should go to Paraguay..but Slovakia??

1. Italy
    2. Slovakia
    3. Paraguay
    4. New Zealand

4. YooAhJin

YooAhJin Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Agree with this order, Italy are sending a bad team possibly without Cassano, Paraguay have dropped a level recently but both teams should still be through. Slovakia and New Zealand will impress but won't compete.

5. Mopar

Mopar New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Italy-Paraguay: 0-1 or 1-2
    Italy-New Zealand: 3:2
    Italy-Slovakia: 1-3
    Slovakia-Paraguay: 1-1
    Slovakia-New Zealand: 2-1
    Paraguay-New Zealand: 1-0

1. Slovakia: 7
    2. Paraguay: 7
    3. Italy: 3
    4. New Zealand: 0

Even if Italy advances to the Round of 16 they will get destroyed by Cameroon or Holland. BTW, I'm an Italy supporter.

6. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Sorry, but as lackluster as this Italy side will be, it will be difficult for anyone to "destroy" them. They will be a tough out as always.

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I think both teams that advance in this group (Italy and Paraguay, in whichever order) are going no further than the Round of 16. Holland and a Le Guen-coached Cameroon will take care of them.

8. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy
    Slovakia
    Paraguay
    New Zealand

Italy will field a very old team this world cup, still they have the experiance to win this group, they will make it tough for themselves. Lets not forget they lost to Egypt in the Confederations Cup and only beat New Zealand 4-3 in a friendly last year. Italy will win the group, win there round of 16 match and crash out in the quarters, thus forcing Lippi to finally step down:)

9. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I want to believe this, but the way Italia have been...

Let's just say my hopes aren't high. I fully support the boys, but I'm not expecting a repeat of 2006 - not by a long shot. I'll be clutching a bottle of Jack Daniels and not expecting much, lol.

10. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I believe Lippi is stepping down whatever the result at he World Cup.
    I do see Paragwaj winning this group, but can't see Italy not advancing.

11. Bruticus

Bruticus Member

May 18, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy may not be playing well, but the draw was kind to us and I think we should still top the group... Slovakia to make it through as well on the back of Marek Hamsik.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group of Dearth?

13. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Slovakia will cause a lot of trouble, mark my words. Marek Hamsik and Co. are a good defensive team. They will advance.

14. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No, must be a bitter other team fan. :D

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just binned a post that
    a) had little to do with the thread topic
    b) was unnecessarily provocative

Please keep your posts within the terms established for the WC forums.

16. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Cameroon ain't destroying anybody. Sure they have Eto'o, Makoun and Emana to form a solid core, but there defense is poor outside of Assou-Ekoto. Cameroon managed 0 shots on target vs Italy in a friendly back in March, and that was a makeshift Italian squad experimenting with a 3-4-2-1. I see Denmark edging Cameroon.

Holland otoh can destroy Italy by evidence of their Euro 2008 performance, but I doubt that as well.

The way I see it
    Italy 1:1 Paraguay (Italy cancel out an early goal by Paraguay)
    Italy 3:0 NZ (Comfortable win)
    Italy 1:0 Slovakia (Goal off a set piece late in the 1st half)

Paraguay 2:1 Slovakia
    Paraguay 2:0 NZ

Slovakia 2:0 NZ

Italy - 7pts (+4 GD)
    Paraguay - 7pts (+3GD)
    Slovakia - 3pts
    NZ - 0pts

Italy beats Denmark 2-1
    Paraguay stuns Holland on penalties after 1-1 draw.

17. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Three and out for Italy. Paraguay and Slovakia will make it through.

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slovakia have the easiest road in this group. That's going to help them.

I think you need to look at these games in order.

Round One:
    Italy : Paraguay
    NZ : Slovakia

Slovakia are likely to beat NZ yes?

If Italy beats Paraguay, or ties Paraguay, Paraguay will be under huge pressure to beat Slovakia in round two. Whereas Slovakia will be able to play for the tie.

Round Two:
    Paraguay : Slovakia
    Italy : NZ

We assume that Italy beats NZ. (Italy probably beats Paraguay in round one.)

With a win and two ties, Slovakia go through, and they get the easiest team in the group in their first match. Paraguay will have to push for the win in round two, which should give Slovakia plenty of counter attacking opportunities.

I'm not saying it's a done deal, or Slovakia have it in the bag or any such thing. I'm saying that Slovakia have the easiest path through to round two in this group. They are a well organized side. They have a few players with some serious skills. It looks good for them.

Paraguay by contrast are likely to lose their first match. Then they will have to beat Slovakia, or they have to count on beating NZ by more than Slovakia did, and count on Italy beating Slovakia. Italy are likely to beat Slovakia, but might take it easy if they win their first two games. Which is another point that helps Slovakia. If Italy get two wins in their opening games, and if Slovakia beat Paraguay, then when they play each other, they will already know they are going through. Of course, Italy would then be motivated to whup Slovakia for the top spot. Hmmmmmm.

And for full disclosure, I hope that Slovakia goes through, so this might be wishful thinking on my part. If I could have my fantasy outcome in this group, Slovakia would win the group (way unlikely), and Paraguay would come in second. (The combination is so unlikely as to be fantasy only.) In any case, it's not that I dislike Paraguay, and if they beat Slovakia and go through, I'll be rooting for them.

GO USA!!
    GO SLOVAKIA!!

- Mark

19. j710

j710 New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Right. Italy will walk over Paraguay.

*rollseyes*

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Something to consider is that both Paraguay and Italy are teams that rarely show their power in friendlies.

I wouldn't put too much weight on what they have shown during the practice games. They are teams that have moved from being very defensive in the 80s and 90s, to being more possession-oriented and capable of keeping a steady attack.

Matter of fact, I'd say Paraguay's strongest line is the attack and weakest is the defense, now. While Italy is solid in the middle and not so much at the back. Both teams opt for pressing instead of zonal marking, too.

21. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wrong my friend, both attack and defense are quite strong. Paraguay's weakest link is clearly the middle.

22. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As it was a random draw (with predetermined pots) of course such a group can happen. How is that group an indication for a fixed draw?
    I would rather suspect a fixed draw if all the time all groups were equal.

23. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Italy-Paraguay: 1-1
    Italy-New Zealand: 5:1
    Italy-Slovakia: 6-0
    Slovakia-Paraguay: 0-4
    Slovakia-New Zealand: 0-0
    Paraguay-New Zealand: 2-0

Italy 7
    Paraguay 7
    New Zealand 1
    Slovakia 1

24. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    As an Italy supporter, you're dreaming if you think that we put 11 combined past Slovakia and New Zealand. First, it's never been in our style to run up those types of scores. Second, this is a very poor Italy side; probably our worst since '86.

25. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy don't run up those types of scores - True

This is a very poor Italy side, probably the worst since 1986 - True

But, Group F is also one of the easiest in the tournament (the average FIFA ranking of Group F is well below that of the other groups). Hence, I think it is still possible for Italy to scrap through with 7, 6 or 5 points, with score-lines like 1-1, 2-0 or 1-0, respectively.