Predictions for the 2008 season

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ravenrooney, Feb 18, 2008.

1. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    East:
    1. Chicago
    2. New England
    3. DC United
    4. Kansas City
    5. New York*
    6. Toronto
    7. Columbus

West:
    1. Chivas
    2. Houston
    3. Dallas
    4. Real Salt Lake
    5. Colorado
    6. Los Angeles
    7. San Jose

*Qualifies for playoffs in the West.

Chicago over Kansas City
    New England over DC United
    Chivas over New York
    Houston over Dallas

Chicago over New England
    Houston over Chivas

Chicago over Houston

No need to watch the season. This is a sure thing.

2. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    The west is just loaded. I'd guess Houston, Chivas USA, FC Dallas and the Galaxy as the top four, but its very close. Even at the bottom, RSL has quietly done some very nice things this off season and Gomez will help Colorado. Excluding San Jose, any of the six teams could finish in the top four IMO.

The east is tricky. DCU will take some time to gel, but should be the class of the group. Kansas City was a nice story last year, but faded. This year I suspect might be different. Getting out of Arrowhead may actually help them; I think playing in a small stadium with their fans on top of the action will create a real home field advantage for the Wizards, which they really haven't had. That might get them through the dog days of July and August. New England and New York are well coached, so they will be in the mix. Osario showed a real ability to grind out results with the Fire, and I think he will do the same in New York. The Revs staff is the best in MLS. Even with less talent, they'll find a way. Chicago is hard to read. On paper, this is a very good team that was supported as well as any in the league during the second half of the season. I'm just not sure what team we are going to see or whether the fans will keep coming out. It wouldn't surprise me if the Fire finished second -- or sixth. Columbus will be better than most people think, but I still see them missing the playoffs. Toronto was awful last year. Aside from a nice draft they haven't done anything to be any less awful. They still have money to spend before the season starts, but unless they do, the best show at BMO will still be in the stands, not on the field.

3. revsfan44

revsfan44 Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Providence / Amherst
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i LOVE how everyone says Chicago over NE in the playoffs. that makes me laugh. :D

anyway:

East:
    1. DC
    2. NE
    3. CHI
    4. KC
    5. C-Bus
    6. RBNY
    7. TFC

West:
    1. Chivas
    2. Houston
    3. RSL
    4. FCD
    5. LAG
    6. SJ
    7. Colorado

Playoffs:
    DC over KC
    NE over Chi
    Chivas over FCD
    RSL over Houston

DC over NE
    Chivas over RSL

Chivas over DC 4-2

4. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    History has shown that it depends on who does better in the regular season. Every single post season game has been won by the home team.

5. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    chivas usa to win the cup beating dc in the final. houston will win something, eventhough it isnt technically mls

6. El_Poblano

El_Poblano Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Pueblo
    Although I am a Rapids fan, I would love to see Preki win a MLS Cup with Chivas USA. At the beginning of each year I am crazy optimistic but that fades when Colorado hits their skid 3 games in.

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'know, for the sake of Colorado fans (and the league really), I hope this is true, but I doubt Colo will be THAT bad this year. Either they or RSL will be in the top 4 with the other narrowly missing out. LA and SJ will be fighting for Last Place. While LA has good players, several key players will be gone for NT duties and others will be injured for significant amounts of time, crippling the team due to lack of depth.

San Jose just doesn't have anyone to score. Plain and simple. Their defense will be stingy, but their offense won't have a pulse.

And depending on how Houston handles all the international competitions (ditto with DC), they may or may not finish well in the standings, but well enough to make playoffs.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's assuming they don't pick up some offensive help before the start of the season.

They don't even have a complete roster yet, after all.

-G

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict SadJoseFan will make numerous excuses as to why their team sucks, why their attendance sucks and will ultimately blame AEG/MLS/Latinosnobs and the rest of MLS teams save for LA and Chicago for not having enough Beckham/Blanco starpower to offset their market's ambivalence to the reborn Quakes.

I also predict that I will terrorize their fans at every opportunity and troll their forum with a renewed vigor and enthusiasm, not seen by many.

10. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prediciones. Wait, I don't think that is a word.

Just for shits and giggles lets do it single table style with superliga and playoff cutoffs:

#1: Houston (#1 West)
    #2: Chivas (#2 W)
    #3: DC (#1 East)
    #4: KC (#2 E)
    -----------------------
    #5: NE (#3 E)
    #6: Dallas (#3 W)
    #7: LA (#4 W)
    #8: Chicago (#4 E)
    -----------------------
    #9: NY (#5 E)
    #10: RSL (#5 W)
    #11: Colorado (#6 W)
    #12: Columbus (#6 E)
    #13: Toronto (#7 W)
    #14: SJ (#7 W)

11. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Funny indeed. Chicago is going to be one of the worst teams in the league this year. Blanco's diving and antics will allow them an opportunity at a couple of wins but other than that they will suck. The defense will give up more goals and the attack will be equally as anemic.

12. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    An attack that includes Blanco, Rolfe, Mapp, and Frankowski will be anemic?!?!

A back line of Segares, CJ Brown, Conde, and Robinson is going to be poor?

Maybe you didn't notice this, but after we got Blanco and Conde, we were one of the best teams in the league. You're letting your hatred cloud your vision.

13. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

And lost your Goalie, Guerrero, and Armas but you conveniently left that out. I am sure the loss of those veterans won't effect the Fiire's defensive posture.:rolleyes:

I agree Blanco's flopping and lack of class will get some free kick opportunities that will lead to a few wins. Rolfe is a dangerous player as well as southern swoop cut but two players aren't enough to lead an MLS team to success over a full season. See David Beckham and Landon Donovan for confirmation on that one.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, I tend to agree. They don't have anyone sniffing the All-Star game in front of Blanco, and they didn't really replace Armas behind him. Might be a real frustrating year for him.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Colorado's making the playoffs. My gut says both teams do, but I haven't tried going over a full table to see if there's room for the both of them.

But either way, Colorado may pay in the long run for what they gave up to get Gomez, but it won't be this year.

Then that would be an easy fight. SJ's got a knife in a gunfight.

LA will stay in every game that two of Becks, Donovan, and Ruiz (if his head stays screwed on straight for a season) play in. If that's more than 20 games, they got puncher's chance to make the playoffs.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Let's see here:

East:
    1 DC - (DC won't come out of the gates strong, but somebody will have to win by default, and it's as likely DC as anyone else)
    2 NE - (They're about machts-nichts versus last year, this is a virtual pick 'em, and NE has a shot, but they'll have to get a lead in April)
    3 KC - (I like them a little better than last year)
    4 RBNY - (Marginally better)
    5 Chi - (Better upfront, but won't make up for lack of Armas)
    6 Clb - (Barring a forward signing that could move them up the totem a couple spots quickly. This part of the table will be densely packed)
    7 TFC - (Still a ways away, it looks like. Keep a lookout for the possible summer DP to keep the buzz going.)

West:
    1 CUSA (may well be your shield winner, but they'll need good health. The backup forwards are better than last year, though.)
    2 Hou (won't get their game down until about June)
    3 Col (Gomez will score about 9, Cooke will assist about 12, and Colorado's admittedly subpar forwards will all do a little better than last year. And they'll be stingy on D.)
    4 RSL (A lot of parts added. If perhaps no big stars, most of them will be at least an upgrade over before. It's possible it won't get them over the hump if the East is strong enough to send 5, but I kinda doubt it.)
    5/6 pick 'em LA or FCD. I'm inclined to go LA right now.
    7 SJ, your cellar dweller.

17. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Conde sacks up and plays he's probably the best defender in the league. Losing one of Armas or Ivan would have been fine. Losing both hurts, but our biggest problem from last year was offense and I think that's been addressed. I can't see the Fire doing any worse than last year, and they're potentially a hell of a lot better.

18. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You're really overrated what Chris brought on the field. His last few years he didn't have it like he use to, but his greatest value was leadership which obviously will be maintained as an assistant coach.

Pause has been a starter for years. If he is even a drop off from Armas, it won't be by a whole lot. But even if Pause can't handle it, then that will push Conde up to d-mid and Guitierrez, Prideaux, or Soumare will start at CB, depending on who's looking the best.

Losing Armas won't hurt us anymore than losing Noonan will hurt NE, losing Dema will hurt NY, etc.

19. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    East

1) DC
    2) Chicago
    3) RBNY
    4) New England
    5) Kansas City
    6) Toronto
    7) Columbus

West

1) CUSA
    2) FC Dallas
    3) Houston
    4) LA
    5) RSL
    6) Colorado
    7) San Jose

20. nickknx865

nickknx865 New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    LA Galaxy will win the World Club Championship :p

21. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houstondynamofan's evil sockpuppet has arrived. :rolleyes: Ignore list, here you come....

22. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a hard time picturing DC and/or Hou on top of their conferences, considering the sheer amount of games they have this year.

Granted, the Schedule Gods gave both teams a reasonably balanced schedule (more so than last year) which will help, but injury and wear-and-tear will grind these two down, leaving the top 2 spots open for whoever wants it (NE and Chi in the East IMHO and CUSA and a surprise of RSL, Colo or FCD in the other).

That said, this season will be a heck of one with all the international tournies to keep us having fun...and fighting for spots in the table (maybe)

23. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1) DCU

2) CHI

3) RBNY

4) NER

5) CLB

6) KCW

7) TFC

West

1) HOU

2) LAG

3) CDU

4) RAP

5) RSL

6) FCD

7) SJE

Explanations:

DCU and HOU closes out well compared to NER and CDU respectively as they don't need to play preliminary round of CCL. LAG rides Ruiz and Beckham who have not looked bad at all together from the footage I've seen (FCD drops off due to lack of Ruiz, same for KCW w/ no Johnson) . RBN picks it up (talent is there). Expansion teams continue to blow chunks (includes TFC). RSL try to sneak in for fourth/not sure if they beat out CLB (who will continue to be mediocre at best).

Playoffs:

NER v. DCU (give this one to Revs, based on the fact they seem to perform well in divisional playoffs)
    RBN v. CHI (Blanco comes through in an ugly set of two games, probably dives to win a penalty)

CDU v. LAG (tired, CDU blow it in playoffs again)
    CLB/RSL v. HOU (it aint even a question)

HOU v. LAG (Houston's class beats out the Galas)
    CHI v. NER (give this one to Chicago as it will be played in Chicago)

HOU v. CHI (will need a huge rainstorm if CHicago is to win, don't see it happening )

24. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle New Member

May 17, 2006
    Kwassa Kwassa
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off the top of my head, single table format:
    DC
    CHV
    HOU