Predicting the 2023 WWC roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Sep 9, 2022.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read an ESPN article projecting the 2023 roster, and we usually have a thread here doing the same. It may be a bit early but all the better for daring to make those predictions! Right now, we don't know if it'll still be a roster of 23, or expanded to 26. In any case, who do you expect to see in 2023? (You can name who you expect Vlatko to take on the roster and/or who you would take if you were coach. Or you can break it up like the ESPN article does with roster locks, bubble players, outside looking in, and wait-and-see.)

I reserve the right to change my mind, but here's my prediction on who Vlatko will take (I named 23, with 3 as alternates who could be on the roster of 26):
    GK: Naeher, Murphy, Kingsbury
    D: Sauerbrunn, Cook, Girma, Fox, Dunn*, O'Hara*, Davidson*
    M: Horan, Lavelle, Sullivan, Sanchez, Ertz*, S Mewis*, K Mewis
    F: Morgan, Macario*, Smith, Pugh, Rapinoe, Rodman

24-26/Alternates: Huerta, Hatch, Kornieck/Coffey/Howell

*=currently out with injury/pregnancy, but I expect them on the roster if they get back to form (but are still iffy)

Obviously, there's a lot up in the air due to injuries and maternity leave, plus just form rising or falling between now and the start of the tournament. Dunn seems to be pretty much back, but we really have no idea what Ertz is thinking about returning to play. Also what in the world is going with Sam Mewis? I really didn't know about that 26th spot, so I left it kind of open. Also if Williams gets healthy, I think she could make it over Hatch or even over Rodman.

jnielsen and jackdoggy repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, great article. It’s always interesting to see all the Roster possibilities listed in one place.

My prediction for the U.S. 2023 WWC Roster? A W E S O M E N E S S. I win!!!!!

• “Wait and see: Sam Mewis, Julie Ertz” - - - AAAaaaaaaaaaaarrrgggghhhhhh
    This “question” will cause the most sleep to be lost amongst the coaching staff and fans in the next three - four months.

Lil – your Pinoe assessment (in another thread) about a role of TeamMom and Late Match Super Sub was exactly what I heard last weekend…..from shall I say – a High Ranking Source.

With Crystal already in training and accompanying the Team, I believe she should be reclassified as a Roster lock. She is after all IRONWOMAN with an equal amount of skills, gadgets and tools in her bag of tricks to her male counterpart. And as previously discussed many times, she can do anything on the Pitch including singing the National Anthem and selling popcorn.

5fingers.jpg

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunn was on the Thorns active roster tonight, for the first time, and played the last minutes of the game, so I would say she is back. But, it will take time for her to get into full form.

I have big doubts about whether Ertz will play professional soccer any more. She has been out for a really long time. I have the feeling -- nothing more than that -- that it is more a matter of whether she wants to play than whether she can.

with all the time Huerta has gotten, I think she will be on the team. Still, she has a lot to learn about how to play a full tournament at this level.

I think Coffey will be on the team.

jnielsen repped this.
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Huerta to be on the roster, too, but who do you leave off if its a roster of 23? My guess currently is that Dunn and Fox are locks, if healthy. O'Hara is only a question mark if she continues to be injury prone. If Davidson gets back into form, she also offers some flexibility in being able to play center back and left back. I also realize that I left Sonnett completely off, so she would also be in the mix, if healthy. Huerta, while one of the best as an offensive asset from the full back position, imo, seems to always be a bit of a defensive liability compared to the other full backs. If the roster is 23 players, I can definitely see Huerta being one on the outside looking in.

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  5. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    He seems to love Huerta though. So it would surprise me if he drops her. I don't see how Coffey gets in at this late stage. She has one cap.

6. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    #6 hocbz, Sep 11, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    I don’t think all those midfielders will go even on a 26 player roster. Sam mewis’ last injury report sounded pretty grim honestly. It sounds like she has a chronic, untreatable issue with her knee.

Not bringing a healthy christen press, who plays all three forward positions at a world class level, seems insane to me. She’s better than Pugh and Rodman (and Purce) for sure, and id argue she plays the 9 at a world class level as well and in the playmaking, False 9 style Vlatko wants to play.

there’s also the issue of Rodman and Pugh not being vaccinated at the end of last year. I really hope they were convinced to get the vaccine given how Vlatko has handed Pugh a starting spot, because New Zealand has not lifted those requirements.

7. hardballBD

hardballBD Member

Union
    United States
    Feb 21, 2022
    You're being completely unfair to Pugh.

You really think it's "insane" to put Pugh on the WC roster ahead of Press, a soon-to-be 34-year old player who will be recovering from an ACL?

And Vlatko hasn't "handed" Pugh anything...she has easily proven to be one of our two most dangerous forwards (although I'd prefer that both she and Smith be more clinical with their chances).

jjmack, Disapproving Hippo and Bob Lamm repped this.
  8. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I suspect that Pugh and Rodman had to ensure the US staff that they will get vaccinated if they make the final roster, and New Zealand requires it (Australia has since dropped the requirement). There is no way Vlatko is investing all of this game time in Pugh to have her unavailable.

Bob Lamm repped this.
  9. outside63

outside63 Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Taylor Kornieck should be included on this team in my opinion.

10. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Why? What has she done at the national team level?

NCChiFan repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    wouldn’t they of gotten vaccinated already for the trip to Mexico at Concacaf?
    I agree they should get Kornieck or at least another physical intimidating player. The Euro game gotten quite physical with an total of 42 fouls called in the recent final championship match as compared to only 3 fouls called on the US last time out vs Nigeria/4 fouls vs Canada in the Concacaf final

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico has no COVID restrictions...no vaccination necessary nor a negative test. And for returning to the US, there's no restrictions at all for citizens, only for visitors.

I'm watching what is going on with the MWC because Qatar lifted their quarantine requirement (unvaccinated travellers would have to quarantine for 5 days) and their red list countries just a couple of weeks ago in preparation for hosting. I think it could be possible that New Zealand also lifts some of their restrictions right before the WWC. Countries haven't done this for single sports matches (go back and look at how many men's PL players missed preseason tours when teams were traveling to the US or Singapore), but it's more likely that they would for an entire tournament where the world is watching.

I'm still very pro-vaccine, but I'm not sure being unvaccinated will be the issue for travel next year as it has been. Things are constantly changing.

EDIT to add: And if it doesn't change, if unvaccinated players are given a choice to vaccinate or be dropped from a WWC roster, I could be wrong but I think some might finally get the shots.

hotjam2 repped this.
  13. outside63

outside63 Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Her play with San Diego Wave convinced me.

14. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hadn't heard that about Mewis' knee injury. Too bad. I hope that's not the final outcome for her.

15. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    But, she hasn't accomplished anything at the USWNT level. Different levels.

16. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Two more goals and an assist by Pugh last night. Both goals were incredible individual efforts. First one was a 90 yard run that included two nutmegs and dribbling the keeper. I think she has 4 goals and 3 assists in last three games.

jjmack, NCChiFan and Bob Lamm repped this.
  17. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Thanks so much for posting this video. Wow, Pugh's goals were really beautiful and then she had a nice corner kick for an assist. Perhaps she can be the star the U.S. really needs in 2023.

18. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    I think she will most certainly be a piece of the puzzle, as long as she stays healthy.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Vlatko hasn't handed Pugh anything. She has earned her time with the USWNT. Mallory Pugh is IMO one the top 3 best players in the NWSL this season along with Alex Morgan and Sophia Smith.

Press? If I don't see her again in a USWNT uniform is fine with me.

20. outside63

outside63 Member

Jul 15, 2010
    At times, other times she is up against or playing with world class players and fits right in. She defends well, distributes well, and has speed. At 6'1", she adds a different threat on set plays by pulling defenders to mark her.

21. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Pugh is definitely in-form for club, but she hasn't had the same quality performances on an international stage. She has yet to perform on the biggest stage with consistency.
    We have been lucky with Lloyd, Rapinoe, Morgan and even Press who all perform their best in the US jersey - they all rise to the occasion under the brightest lights.
    Pugh and Smith (so far) have shrunk under those lights. (even at U20 WCs)

jnielsen repped this.
  22. Cheetah101

Cheetah101 Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to put Jaedyn Shaw's name into the hat, if she continues scoring ever time she starts, Vlatko will be forced to take her. :p

ytrs repped this.
  23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    wonder if there’s any vac requirements for the upcoming friendlies in England & Spain? Don’t think we can win them this time around if Smith can’t participate/Rodman seems to keep skipping call ups anyways

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    my bad, its Pugh that has the assuming problem of getting vaxxed

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally speaking, this is easily Google-able. The UK has no COVID entry restrictions. Spain requires a vaccination certificate, negative COVID test (within 72 hours), or recovery certificate from citizens of countries outside of the EU. In 2020 and 2021, some countries were giving special exceptions to COVID restrictions to visiting sports teams, such as Netherlands did for the US in late 2020. Additionally, the US national teams were operating within strict bubbles in 2020 and early 2021, even when traveling within the US. But, neither are happening anymore. AFAIK, sports teams have to meet whatever COVID restrictions the country has.