Predict the break-out stars for 2011 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by usa3por2ft, Jun 19, 2011.

1. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every World Cup there are a handful of players who emerge as true stars of the game for the first time. Some of them are new to the big stage, others have played supporting roles before. Here are my predictions for this year's break-out stars.

Goalkeeper: Miriam, Equatorial Guinea -- Known as an excellent shot-stopper, she will have lots to do for a team missing several top players from their qualifying campaign. Her biggest test will come against Norway, who have the capability of testing her with flighted balls into the area.

Fullback: Fabiana, Brazil -- Coming into form at the right time, the speedy wide player will need to provide the width Brazil need down the right flank to pry open packed defenses.

Centerback: Alina Garciamendez, Mexico -- A cool, composed central defender, she will be the key to initiating Mexico's possession.

Fullback: Robin Gayle, Canada -- Although it may seem a bit odd to name a player who already has 44 caps as an emerging star, this quick, tough-tackling fullback has only played nine minutes in previous major international tournaments. She will be the key to Canada's success in the most explosive attacking group in the competition.

Central Midfielder: Yoreli Rincon, Colombia -- Colombia may not win a match, but the pace, vision, and skill of their seventeen year old playmaker will provide a test to every side they meet.

Wide midfielder: Celia Okayino da Mbabi -- Previously a sparingly used substitute at major competitions, Okayino da Mbabi's do-everything attacking talents will make her the indispensible player in an awesome German goal-scoring lineup.

Forward: Marie-Laure Delie -- A forward who nets at the astonishing rate of once every thirty minutes, Delie will provide France with the scoring punch they have lacked in recent competitons.

Forward: Alexandra Popp, Germany -- A clinical finisher who lit up last year's U20 Women's World Cup, Popp will come in to against already fatigued defenses and rip them apart.

Forward: Ellen White, England -- With five goals in her first 14 matches, White has shown that she is a finisher to be reckoned with.

Forward: Jess Clarke, England -- A pacy winger with an uncanny ability to show up in the right place at the right time, Clarke will pull aprt defense to set them up for the finishing of White and Kelly Smith.

Forward: Alex Morgan, United States -- Her time on the field will be scanty, but she has already shown she knows how to make the most of it. The United States will count on her instant offense to extract them from tough situations.

2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i saw enough of popp in the u-20s to give her the nod

she might even be germany's best player when it's all over

3. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Yorely Rincon, Kyah Simon, Amy Rodriguez, Mana Iwabuchi

4. iChristoph

iChristoph New Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Kaylyn Kyle - Midfielder for Canada, one of the new faces Morace brought in to fit her vision for the team

5. Dr 7

Dr 7 New Member

Jun 15, 2011
    The next Nr 9 for Germany.

6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Alexandra Popp, Celia Okoyino Da Mbabi, Kim Kulig

Kyah Simon, Elise Kellond-Knight

Sofia Jakobsson, Antonia Goransson

Beatriz & Thais

Yoreli Rincon

Cecilie Pedersen

Ellen White

Marie-Laure Delie, Eugenie Le Sommer

Mana Iwabuchi

Kenti Robles

Jonelle Filigno

Rachel Buehler, Alex Morgan

I would have mentioned a North Korean, but I don't think they do individual.

Fatmire Bajramaj should have been the absolute break out star in 2011, but..... :(

7. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    I'm hoping that the break-out player for Canada is Sophie Schmidt. She's played in major tournaments before and settled in as a defensive midfielder but she needs to take more of the role she had in college if Canada is to do well. She needs to be at the center of the offense, getting a lot of touches and distributing the ball well. It would be good if she gets forward enough to take some cracks at goal. She has a hard and accurate shot but has seldom shown it in international play.

8. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I also agree that Rachel Buehler will be a break-out star this WWC; she's a rock in the back for the USWNT. I also think Ali Krieger could potentially have an excellent tournament, if she plays.

Popp of course is one to watch for, and I also will be looking for Thais, who I think will light up the field this summer. I can't wait to see.

9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Depends if you think she is already a star. But for sure 21 year-old DM Kim (COOL-) Kulig will leave her mark on this WCC.

BTW: Liras last name "Bajramaj" is pronunciated correctly "Buy-ruuh-my". I often hear US commentators saying "Buysch-rar-masch" ! That rar-masch sounds to Germans like "am Arsch" which simply means "fukced up". :D

10. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already consider her a star based on her Euro 2009, which is why I didn't put her on my list. I think other people may be looking at the question from the point of view of who has not previously starred in a World Cup, notwithstanding other competitions. That's fine, too. I am just interested in learning from the insights of other people here.

I remember the British commentators from Euro 2009 pronouncing it as Bazh-ruh-my :rolleyes:

11. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    French commentators say baje-ra-ma-je :p

12. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Marie-laure delie.....she is already on fire, she will be a starter ( popp,morgan and mbabi will not) and as the only striker in our formation 4-2-3-1 ...all her teammates will play for her and when you got people like abily,necib,bompastor in your team you can score a lot easily......;)

13. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Megan Rapinoe could have a big tournament for the U.S.

14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL, Popp and Mbabi have to oust two of the games best ever forwards. And I didn't even mention Muller.

Morgan has to wait until (a world elite in her style ) Wambach has left the international scene, before you see the best of her game.

Delie is simply in the right place at the right time for France. A potentially good player, she's not at the same level as the other 3 girls you mention.

By the way, the only thing that will be big about Rapinoe's WWC, is her hair style :p. Of all the U.S. players you could pick, she's way below the necessary levels to stand out as one of the tournaments best. She wouldn't even be playing as a starter now in Kristine (Methuselah) Lilly never gave up her shot at another WWC.

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    even tho she played the full 90 and "methuselah" didn't get off the bench in the couple of crucial games the uswnt played before lilly announced her retirement?

16. SloanDarwin

SloanDarwin Member

Oct 26, 2009
    I think there is a real possibility for Popp to be among the tournament's top 3 goalscorers, even if she doesn't start in most of the games. She has scored 5 goals in her last 3 games, coming from the bench in all 3 of them.

17. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And like 2 of those goals have been diving headers! That should give her bonus points :D

18. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If this thread were titled 'Predict where the play will break-down, the black holes for 2011 WWC, then yeah Rapinoe would head that list ;).

Do you think Rapinoe will be a break-out star in Germany?

19. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She very well could be. She's looked pretty sharp in the past few games for the U.S.

Even Wambach thinks Rapinoe will have a big tournament. She said that in some interview.. not sure when that was.

20. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been watching the 16 year old goalkeeper Santiago for Mexico. Looks pretty darn good, although inexperience can really hurt a keeper.

Delie for France is a definite for me. She's scored 11 goals in her last five matches.

Can you consider Kulig a potential breakout star? She's practically already a veteran at 21. I'd agree with Okoyino da Mbabi except she already has a ton of caps. Maybe because she generally doesn't start.

Popp (Germany), Oparanozie (Nigeria), Iwabuchi (Japan), Garciamendez (Mexico).

Also be interested to see how much Foord plays for Australia, also only 16 years old.

What are the parameters? Is it age, experience?

21. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, a break-out star is someone who isn't really well known because they are either young or are usually a role player and then in the tournament they play in a way that makes it impossible for anyone to not talk about.

22. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm expecting great things from her, but if she does well and Canada as a team does well, I wonder whether the one who will rocket to stardom will be Christine Sinclair.

In a way, she doesn't count. As far as women's soccer fans go, she's already well-established. But I feel she's still somewhat underrated even by fans of the women's game who don't realize that she may well be the best player in the world not named Abby, Marta or a member of the German national team.

23. iChristoph

iChristoph New Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Could you imagine Sinclairs strike rate if she were born in America or Germany.

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    might not be as good since she'd have more good players around her scoring some of those goals she scores in bunches for canada.

25. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    She is only 17 ? She was a beast in the u-20 WC last year. That was also in Germany and somehow think that Colombia are more "prepared" than most. I dont know anything (yet) about their group but I say they will come out of it, even if their pre-tourney results are poor.

Other players:

USA - not Morgan, not Wambach, but Rodriguez

Germany - not da Mbabi, but Popp is a super-athlete - as usual, Germany will crush the weaker teams (at least). And i think Bajramaj has it too in her

Japan - just maybe Iwabuchi, if her team clicks. I think Miyama will be influential.

France - no to LeSommer, a big yes to AnneMarie D. What about Camille Abily or Sonia Bompastor ? I think France gets to the semis this time.