Pre-WCQ form card... who's hot, who's not

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Marko72, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    So what did these superfriendlies tell us about our players' current form heading into our first World Cup Qualifier series? My opinions:

In form:

Tim Howard - he's been his solid self, as of the Argentina game, call him on fire
    Brad Guzan - doesn't organize quite like Timmy, but if called upon, you know we're in capable hands
    Heath Pearce - his Nats performances of 2008 have been of a higher standard than before, he was one consistent (relative) bright spot throughout this difficult stretch of schedule
    Maurice Edu - though in all honesty, he could just as easily go into the "somewhere in between" category, but he's seemed the most confident of the central midfielders
    Eddie Lewis - These next few months just may be his last hurrah. It certainly looks like he's going at it for all he's worth.
    Freddy Adu - he may not be reaching his potential, but he's one of the best and most dynamic we've got, and kept two top teams just a bit on their heels when he was around

Out of form:

Steve Cherundolo - Argentina was a step up for him, but the last few performances otherwise have been less-than-stellar
    Mike Bradley - Has been a step behind the game the past three games, a problem from last summer that I thought he was solving. Then again, the pace of these past three games has been very high.
    Rico Clark - Was simply outmatched... but will that affect CONCACAF qualifying? Probably not.
    DaMarcus Beasley - Has not shaken off post-injury rust and lacks sharpness, though he seems to have regained his mobility.
    Clint Dempsey - Really looks like he needs a break.
    Josh Wolff - Pretty much done.

Somewhere in between:

Carlos Bocanegra
    Ogunchi Onyewu
    Pablo Mastroeni
    Dan Califf
    Frankie Hejduk
    Eddie Johnson
    Landon Donovan - first game after injury was a good one, though he looked a little less quick, but I'm sure he'll be back to his pre-groin sharpness

2. ill quixote

ill quixote Member

Apr 5, 2006
    If his teammates would have done a better job rewarding his outstanding runs, I think you would rate Beasley higher.

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    No, his touch is generally not the best, but at the moment is downright rusty. I'm not calling Beasley a bad player, just and out-of-form one. He was a touch better tonight, and consistently earned fouls throughout the series, even in the England match.

4. jonspider

jonspider Member

Mar 9, 2005
    South Carolina
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to mention one:

I am starting to think we might have a solid LB in Pearce. He has shown good agressiveness and smarts when he gets forward and pretty solid defense - He has held his own, anyways. I honestly don't remember how good of a crosser he is, maybe I am just forgetting some attempts, I don't recall any. He does seem to work pretty well off the Left Wingers (Beasley, Lewis, etc.) But I think we put him in there for now in WCQs.

5. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I agree - Pearce has improved with each game and he's looking like a very solid LB right now.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spot on, agree entirely with all ratings