Pre-WC: Pick Your Group C Best XI

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by schrutebuck, Dec 4, 2009.

1. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No forwards in this group have impressed.. Rooney had a few bright sparks in the USA game, but was terrible against Algeria..

I think that Glen Johnson has actually been the best RB so far, Gerrard had an awful game against Algeria so I'm not sure if he should be there, but Cole and Terry have not been bad, after all they have not conceded a 'proper goal' to put it that way.

2. GiorgioMoretti

GiorgioMoretti New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Udine
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think the team leading the group is there by accident. An Algerian slip up. But the thing is this is life and thats about it. The only players I would pick from Slovenia would be Handanovic and Novakovic. Handanovic and Howard are pretty good but I would pick Howard just because he is regular in the Premier League. I can't see myself replacing Defoe with Novakovic.

3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This thread always confuses some people. This is not "who are the best players in Group C on a regular basis with their club teams/national teams?" this is, "who has been the best at this tournament, been most effective, and caught the eye of people most in Group C" Not sure why people fail to grasp this. My comment is mostly directed at Handanovic who I don't think has been good at all...especially as he is billed as one of the world's best. I would surely take Howard based on their performances over Handanovic. Too bad Hart hasn't gotten the run out because I think he is really talented. Also I think SoccerKowboy has it about right.

4. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gerrard doesn't belong anywhere near that if we're basing this on tournament form.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the f?!?! :eek: I'm constantly switching the US with Chile (my better half).

6. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    LoL at this.
    Did you watch all the England games or are you talking out of your ass as usual.

Just because Lampard was a non existent player for the first 2 matches no need to gripe at Gerrard who incidently constantly created chances in all 3 games even though he was shoved out to the left for the last 2 games.
    Gerrard and Cole were the best players on the park against the US.

7. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    So now that group C is done, where do we stand?

8. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't watch the England-Slovenia game, but from the US side I'd go with Bradley, Donovan, Howard, and maybe Cherundolo (toss-up against Glen Johnson). From Algeria I'd go with Bougherra. Can't go with any of Algeria's attacking players, they never really threatened the goal after the 6th minute rattle off the crossbar. Even the header in the 93rd was right at Howard.

I suppose Defoe should be on the team, so I'd say Altidore as the other striker. He played very well today.

9. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Donovan, Bradley, Howard, Cherundolo, Dempsey could all make the team for USA, in that order. I'd take the first 4, yes, Cherundolo over Glen Johnson.

10. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My team would be

----------------Howard------------------

Johnson-------Terry----Bougherra--------Cole

Donovan------Bradley------Kirm------------Gerrard
    ------------------------Dempsey-----------------
    ---------------Defoe

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Tough choices for me but I think I'll go with...

-----------Howard--------------
    Cherundolo-Terry-Bougherra-Cole
    Donovan--Bradley--Birsa--Gerrard
    -----------Dempsey/Ziani--------
    -------------Defoe--------------

12. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard
    Cherundolo-Bougherra-Brecko-Johnson
    Donovan-Ziani-Gerrard-Bradley-Birsa
    Altidore

Honorable mention to Dempsey

13. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cherundolo has been one of the best defenders in the tourney.

14. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not as good as G Johnson though;)

Ashley Cole not in Group C 11? He would be in the whole competitions 11, best left back in the world.

15. Matjaz

Matjaz New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I think this is exactly how I would put it, with a possibility of switching Altidore with Defoe. The latter wasn't given much time to prove himself, but still scored and looked very dangerous the whole time, while Altidore played best of all forwards, but didn't do what attackers are there for; he didn't score until now.

(And Kirm is out of question imo, I wouldn't even put him in Slovenian starting eleven. I'd rather see Pečnik playing there, or even Komac. He is damn fast, but he lost a huge amount of balls during the matches.)

16. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Glen Johnson at left-back? :confused:

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hes a shit enough rb as it is

18. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    Lets not underestimate the fact that for all the failed expectation, in all 3 games England played, they looked the better side and their defence was hardly troubled.
    Im sure if England went under a name like 'Obscurearia' we'd be picking most of the team here.

19. mu831

mu831 New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Disagree. They looked better than us and Slovenia, but I think Algeria got the best of them.

M'Bolhi
    Cherundolo--Terry--Brecko--Belhadj
    Donovan--Bradley--Gerrard--Birsa
    Altidore--Defoe

20. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is, but he hasn't shown it in SA. It's what he's done in the tournament.

21. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you blind he hasnt put a foot wrong all tournament.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was in Goff's blog that I read this...but supposedly, Jozy has drawn 5 yellow cards in the 3 games.

That's pretty incredible.

23. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's correct, but he hasn't been the usual influential Ashley Cole either. He hasn't been bad at all, just not as good so far.

24. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hes a defender as of yet hes had each right winger in his pocket including Donovan who then impressed in the USAs next two games. Cole has been outstanding his job is to defend first not attack.

As for Altidore for all his good play he still cant put the ball in the back of the net and has been quite wasteful with his chances.

25. Matjaz

Matjaz New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Brečko is a wing defender really, but that's the best 4-4-2 formation I could come up with, too. I'd still make Howard nr.1 goalkeeper, and Handanovič nr.2, though.