Pre season prognoses 2006-2007

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by tomo, Jul 24, 2006.

1. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Well, time to make some prognoses again. I'll start evaluating the teams from 1 to ... If you have any remarks or disagree, just mention.:)

2. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Champion: Anderlecht.

Despite losing Kompany, Tihinen and Wilhelmsson Anderlecht looks stronger than ever. One major question this season will be the defense, which looks rather shabby.
    Goalkeeper will be Zitka, until Proto returns from injury. This definitely is a solid part of the team. Central defenders are Van Damme and Juhasz. Both are quite underestimated IMHO and will do better than most people expect. Big question is what will happen if one of them gets injured, which could happen as both seem injury prone. Pareja might be an option, but I don't know how good he is, and I haven't heard too much flattering stuff from Argentina about him yet. At left back Deschacht is still first option. He's ok for the Belgian competition, but we all know he can't follow on a higher level;) . And then the strangest position of the team: right back. This place was initially taken by Vd Borre, but he seems to be moving up. Rumours are that Vercauteren wants Legaer there. He is a young talent from the youth academy that normally plays right wing. Let's see how this will work out.

In opposition to the defense are a great midfield and attack with Biglia, one of the ten biggest Argentinian talents, Hassan, reportedly the best African player, Frutos, the crowbar in attack, Boussoufa, best player in Belgium last year, Vanden Borre, still one of the biggest talents in Belgium (maybe even Europe) and Serhat, one of the better Turkish players. Add to this some young players like Lamah, Allagui and Siani and some older ones like Goor, Vanderhaeghe, Leiva and Anderlecht is set for the title. I fear they will have a bad start, but in the end everything will work out fine for them.:cool:

So, in short, they look brilliant up front and shabby in defense.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    On the evidence of the past two weeks, Anderlecht is overrated. I'm becoming a little more optimistic about Club Brugge's chances.

4. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Runner up: Club Brugge.

Club will end close this year. They haven't done much transfers, but the players they bought are either very talented or very mature. Daerden will prove his worth but the big guy up front will be the major revelation on all stages: Ibrahim Salou is the name, remember it, 'cause he will only get better. He can be replaced by Ishiaku.
    Chavez might be his assistant up front. He seems to be a major Peruvian talent I haven't seen play yet. The other transfer, Dreesen (CB) should be seen as one for the future, but he might get some chances earlier than expected.
    They also still have Maertens, De Cock, Klukowski, Gvozdenovic (left and right backs) Clement, Valgaeren and the big talent Vandelanoitte in the back. This defense will be lead by Stijn Stijnen, who managed to impress some Italian clubs last year when playing Juventus.
    Except for Daerden I still have some doubts about the Brugge midfield. Leko, Vermant, Dufer, Englebert; they have proven their worth in the past but I wouldn't want them in my team. Let's hope for them I have to swallow these words fast.
    They also keep some talent on the bench with Roelandts (who IMO is one of their better midfielders), Blondel and Van Heerden.

The best transfer of Club seems to be the coach, Emilio Ferrera, who is really fit to coach a top team.

They seem ready for the big work and I don't see many teams stopping them. They will end close to Anderlecht.

You will hear who ends in third spot soon enough. It will be the surprise team of the season. Guesses are always welcome...

5. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    On demand...:D

6. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    Up to now that's a very good analysis Tomo ! I totally agree with you !

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm so surprised by that... :D

8. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    i don't know. Brugge seems to have a boring but steady team.
    Anderlecht has a lot of injuries, has a lot of new players to fit in AND they play Champions Leaue.
    I fear that brugge will be first in december, and it will be hard to surmount them, alltough i am sure anderlecht will play very good football after january.
    Brugge-Anderlecht is being played in a few weeks, which is early. If brugge wins, they might have a moral boost. that game can become important (as it is almost every year).

1.anderlecht
    2.club brugge
    3.standard
    4.genk
    5.germinal beerschot
    6.charleroi
    7.gent
    8.zulte-waregem
    9.lokeren
    10.westerlo
    11.roeselare
    12.brussels
    13.moeskroen
    14.stvv
    15.beveren
    16.cercle
    17.lierse
    18.mons

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    What I saw in the first half against PSG wasn't that boring...

10. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    3th place and big surprise of the season: GBA

GBA managed to keep its defense together and lost topscorer Dosunmu and defensive mid De Decker. IMHO these are not too big losses, especially the fact that they could keep their defense together is a good thing, as it is quite underestimated.
    GBA bought a lot of Argentinian players. I don't know if they're any good but the pre-season matches looked very promising and I've heard some promising stuff about some of them too. They also have a large squad, which should make it easy to counter injuries and suspensions. They might just be the surprise of this season, although this is rather based on subjective guesses than on fact material.;)
    I'm hoping Cruz will find his good form again and will lead this team to glory...
    I also see them get far in the cup.

11. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Stekke, why do you rate Charleroi that high?

12. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Somehow I totally seem to have forgotten about Balaban in the Brugge analysis. Do you guys think he will play much this season?

13. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    4th place: Standard Liège

I initially had my doubts about Standard, but they seem do be doing quite alright on the transfer market. If they can keep this team together and buy another good defender/striker (I don't know if Sa Pinto still is any good) they might be able to compete with A'lecht and Club. I fear somehow that they will have to let go of Onyewu and maybe even Geraerts, which would be a big loss. Standard did one of the transfers of the year by buying Steven Defour, the 18yo talented playmaker from RC Genk. If he can become the new leader under the wings of Sergio Conceicao this Standard might do very well. I also heard some promising stuff about Jovanovic, the new left winger who has scored in practically every preseason game. For the rest they have a vast amount of talent and now we can finally see Dupré at a top team (if he can get past Deflandre).

Latest rumour (news?) would be that Stipe Pletikosa is joining Standard. Would be nice...

And of course we are all looking forward to match day 3, when Steven Defour will be playing against his former team Genk (for those who don't know: he left for peanuts, everybody was angry and the chairman resigned).

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Might seem weird coming from a Club Brugge fan, but I really hope not. They should have sold him. I fear he'll just make trouble again if he is benched for a long period of time. But a lot of Club Brugge fans are annoyed by him. (Anyone who ever saw him play live, knows what I mean). He can be the ultimate annoying ball-hog at times. I don't see what he can bring to this team. Trying to hold on to Portillo would have made more sense.

15. O-side

O-side New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Verviers/ Belgium
    My prognoses for this season:

1.anderlecht
    2.club brugge
    3.standard
    4.germinal beerschot
    5.genk
    6.gent
    7.lokeren
    8.brussels
    9.charleroi
    10.zulte-waregem
    11.westerlo
    12.mouscron
    13.roulers
    14.stvv
    15.lierse
    16.mons
    17.cercle
    18.beveren

16. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    And mine:

1.Anderlecht
    2.Brugge
    3.Standard
    4.Genk
    5.GBA
    6.Gent
    7.Zulte-Waregem
    8.Lokeren
    9.Charleroi
    10.Brussels
    11.Westerlo
    12.Roeselare
    13.St-Truiden
    14.Mouscron
    15.Lierse
    16.Beveren
    17.Mons
    18.CS Brugge

17. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    they're always good for a top 10 -spot, like Lokeren or Gent.
    Plus, they have good players like Dante, Akgul (or was he sold), Akpala and possibly Haroun (coming from Genk)

18. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    5th place: RC Genk

A young team with the same problem as last year: no leaders. May be some guys will stand up again (possibly Vrancken en De Decker) but I still have to see it. Bosnjak might be a good transfer but I don't know if they will have the needed quality/mentality to run a good championship. If they start ok and have few injuries they might do better, but I rather see them underperform than the other way around. For the rest it is counting on their good youngsters, like Pocognoli or Verdonck to develop in a good way.

19. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    6th place: Zulte-Waregem

Despite being the deception of the first match day, they will have a pretty good season IMO. They lost some valuable players but did some good transfers with Roussel, Janssens and De Vlieger. Combined with their mental force and their great coach they might be the surprise of the season again.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't see them ending that high. Probably somewhere in between 8-11. They'll never get in trouble, but I think they'll miss Salou enough to drop some more points away from home.

21. sforzindrum

sforzindrum New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    België
    Re: Pre season prognoses 2006-2007, underestimated genk...again? and didn't even see Gent coming?

untill now, the usual underestimating of Genk has served us well, it'll be interesting to see if they can live up to the pressure the second part of the season

also, AA Gent was arguably the best of the second round last season, you didn't seem to think they would be able to keep that up?

btw, GBA better step it up if they want to become your 'surprise' :p

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    A new Belgian! It's been a while. Our little sub-forum hasn't had a lot of activity lately.

23. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: Pre season prognoses 2006-2007, underestimated genk...again? and didn't even see Gent coming?

Welcome! Like Belgian guy said, it's always nice to have more Belgians on the boards. Glad to see Genk is doing well. Feel free to post your thoughts on matches in their thread (where ever it is :p).

Oh and this thread reminds me that I miss tomo. I wonder what happened to him?

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't know, but it's been mostly only Destekke and I who have posted in here in recent weeks. Seems a lot of the regulars don't post here any more.

25. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I'll just call the rest of them out right now :p.

Where are you gerby, cdpconrad2119 (even though he isn't in Belgium), tomo, The Bergamister, O-side, Blues and anyone else I missed ;)?