Pre-season 2021 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by speker, Jul 9, 2021.

1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thiago Alcantara and Shaqiri will link up with the squad in Austria today.

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I guess the Brazil trio will be the last to join I guess.

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And Henderson.

SamScouse repped this.
  4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's because we are selling him! :ROFLMAO:

Wingtips1 repped this.
  5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Trent has been in the gym....:eek:

AnyConv.com__E7Ux4EDWYAgmbm-.jpg

bayred and soccershaggy repped this.
  6. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I also always worry when people are coming back from major surgeries, Owen was a bit different in that his primary weapon was his speed. While both Gomez and VvD are very quick, at least in the case of Virgil I'd say his defensive prowess is even more to his positioning, decisions, and organizing skills. So I think the bigger worry for me is that they end up either re-injuring the knee or picking up some other injury due to compensating for the reconstructed knee.

speker and SamScouse repped this.
  7. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think sports science has since moved on. Owen’s hamstrings were not properly treated and I think at the end there he was function on two rather than three.

8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In the summer of we get carried away with new signings, but there is so much to be excited about with the players that are already at the club.

There are two players who had rough seasons (by their standards) last season, who I think could be contenders to be the best player in the Premier League this season. Trent and Thiago. I think both are going to show their world class ability now that they no longer have to compensate for weaknesses at centerback.

hubbabubba repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If we make no other major signing(s) beyond Konate, this is exactly what I plan to hang my hat (and hopes) on.

10. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Both Joe Gomez and Virgil van Dijk are included in tonight’s match-day squad :)

Perhaps we'll see a brief cameo for them today .

[​IMG]

Suss repped this.
  11. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It’s the same team that started the last game except Minamino replaces Ox. Minamino has failed to impress so far, so this is a big chance for him to play with Salah and Mane.

Origi out with a minor injury (or an impending transfer?).

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think that's the back 4 we'll see vs Norwich.

Mini in the Bobby role? or Mane RW and Mo in the middle?

anyone have a stream for this game?

13. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Neil Jones saying Divock Origi's absence from the Liverpool squad tonight 'precautionary' after picking up a minor knock.

14. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp said the plan is for Virgil and Gomez to both come on with about 20 minutes to go.

15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #115 Red Bird, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    2-2. Some sloppy defending by Liverpool although both good strikes by Hertha. Then a poor thrown by the Hertha goalie and Mané scores. The best was our second with Keita committing some artful burglary in midfield, then pass, a touch and move, a back heel and bang, Minamino scored. Elliott, Minamino and Keita have been the pick of the players but Tsimikas has also raided down the left well.

SamScouse repped this.
  16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thanks, Bird.

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #117 SamScouse, Jul 29, 2021
    Virgil and Joey take the pitch !!!!!

YESSSSSSS!!!

Hertha scored 2 mins before that. which I kinda like for one reason - they won't be hounding our defenders so less stress for Virg and Joey. :):rolleyes:

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hertha up 4-3.

those 2 new CB's aren't doing very well.

YNWA Rob and Wingtips1 repped this.
  19. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's had plenty of time off, and he definitely needed to work on that strength.

SamScouse repped this.
  20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    FT 4-3- for Hertha. Ox got a late goal to add to Mane and Mini.

21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #122 Red Bird, Jul 29, 2021
    4-3 to Hertha Berlin it finally ended. Jovetic seems always to score against Liverpool. van Dijk and Gomez still rusty but good to see them both on the pitch and hopefully no adverse reaction. I reckon we had about four times as many shots (all good ones, too) as Hertha but only scored 3 to its 4. Still a good run out. Impressed by the movement (if not the decision-making) of Gordon and Morton.

But bloody idiot fans running onto the pitch ... what was that all about :mad:

22. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Glad to see Joe and Virgil return. Jurgen said the team needs to improve a lot with their spacing, but this is what preseason is form.

Definitely expect to see Kaide Gordon in the side for our League Cup match(es) this season. Just noticed the draw was made for the first round of that. Guess the new season is basically here.

Club also announced the friendly vs. Bologna in Evian will actually be two, 60-minute games. Good way to get just about everybody some minutes.

23. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Preseason games especially the early ones are not the best to read too much into. This one was exactly one of those and the fact we used 24-25 different players at least just makes it more so.
    Overall Liverpool were easily the better side , we dominated for most of the game created more chances and also squandered more chances .
    I'm watching and thinking Nabby is looking ineffective not involved enough and then he makes an important tackle in mf, steals the ball and puts in brilliant weighted pass for Mo. He's got it in him if he can impose himself on games .

I saw some good performances from Mo, Mane, Elliott ,Matip , Ox and young Kaide Gordon continues in impress me.
    Good to see Virg and Joe out there again , rust was showing but I think they'll be fine .
    (5) Highlights: Liverpool 3-4 Hertha BSC | Van Dijk & Gomez return to action! - YouTube

bayred and YNWA Rob repped this.
  24. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don’t think Minamino is ever going to be a starter for LFC, I can’t help but root for him…. He’s got incredible skills, he’s just a bit too small, too short, too slow to be a talent. That said, I’d love if he turned into a super sub type who comes on to save the day. But that’s probably me just being sentimental.

Wingtips1 repped this.