Pre/PBP/Post Vancouver Whitecaps v. Houston Dynamo, Sunday, June 10

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jun 6, 2012.

?

Result?

1. Dynamo win

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Dynamo lose

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. Spain-Italy? Mere appetizer for the headline event: Houston @ Vancouver!

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Vancouver Whitecaps v. Houston Dynamo
    When: Sunday, June 10 @ 6:00 PM CDT
    Where: BC Place, Vancouver, BC
    Records: Vancouver (5-3-4) 19 PTS, 5th in WEST
    Houston Dynamo (4-3-4) 16 PTS, 7th in EAST
    TV: Fox Sports Houston, KHLM ch. 43
    Radio: 790/850

This is the only league game this week while most teams are on break. The Dynamo's last game was the friendly loss to Valencia on May 31. Houston comes into this game 2-1-2 in the last five league games scoring 5 goals and allowing only 4. Houston's road record this year is 2-3-3. The Dynamo will be missing Cameron, Hainault, Taylor, and Watson to national team duty.

Vancouver is 2-1-2 in their last five league games but their last win in all competitions was on May 9 against Edmonton in the Canadian Championship. They scored 7 goals in those 5 most recent league games while allowing 8. Their most recent game was a 1-1 tie at Portland on May 26. The Whitecaps are 3-1-2 at home in league games this year. It doesn't look like Vancouver is losing any players to international duty.

The official Dynamo viewing party is at Bar Munich. The Texian Army will be at the Orange Bar. Other information on viewing parties can be added to this thread.

anderson repped this.
  2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo @ Vancouver, all-time:

08/27/2011 VAN 1-0 HOU

That game was at Empire Field. Sunday's game will be the first for the Dynamo at BC Place.

3. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely the Houston Dynamo must win on my birthday, right?!

I would like to point out that on my birthday we are undefeated with a record of 2-0-1. That's 7 out of 9 possible points.

4. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calling a tie, or win/loss within 1 goal. Without 4 of our players, I'm looking at a whole lot of chances for both sides.

5. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're calling a Win, tie, or loss? Damn, going all out on this prediction huh?

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be a pretty makeshift defensive scheme. Let's see if Boswell and, I guess, Sturgis can work well together in central defense. It's tough. The two central defenders are a team within a team and that relationship usually needs time to develop.

Although I don't think that outside backs should be evaluated primarily on their defensive abilities, Creavalle may need to spend a lot of time defending on the right side. You'd expect most teams to go after the least experienced player and he's it.

I think I saw somewhere that Bruin may also be out for this game? And Ching on FieldTurf is never a good thing. The surface at BC Place is new and supposedly pretty good by artificial surface standards. We'll see how that goes.

camicia arancione repped this.
  7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that would be Creavalle v. Salinas down our right side. Me thinks Creavalle could use some help with that. Salinas has been looking pretty damn fast and slippery to me.

8. Htownkraut

Htownkraut Member

Jan 12, 2011
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what she said? :cautious:

The_Ponce repped this.
  9. ponte_la_naranja

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    100% sure this will be a loss.

A point would equal a team victory considering what we are missing.

Three points would do miracles and just might turn our season around completely.

WOULD THE REAL HOUSTON DYNAMO PLEASE STAND UP?

10. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to get overly argumentative, and I know I'll get accused of being "sunshine police" or some other derogatory term. But I'm real happy with how the season is going so far, Here is why:

- 3 Home games for 7 points. 2.3 points/game. Still early, but no reason to panic over those numbers. 39 points from 17 home games would be just fine.

- 8 Road games for 9 points. 1.1 points/game. 19 points from 17 road games would be quite respectable.

- Current form is for a 58 point season. That could well win the East and give the Dynamo a shot at the SS down the stretch.

- Team has looked good even when the results were not good. Compare that to last year.

- Team has dropped points because of stupid mistakes. Far easier to reduce mistakes than it is to overhaul a poorly performing team and raise the overall standard of play.

As far as I am concerned the Dynamo are performing at the level needed to compete for the Championship.

11. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then we add OBG.

Levy2k6 and The_Ponce repped this.
  12. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    I don't think this is "Sunshine Police-y" at all. It seems pretty much spot on to me. We've given up some brain fart goals, which cause concern. But generally this team looks better at this point than they have in several seasons.:thumbsup:

13. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd be happier if OBG can get some goals. In this sport it's the only thing that matters offensively. I'm liking how the Dynamo have been using the midfield though as opposed to long ball style. It's much better to look at.

14. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see more of Ownby. I enjoyed him for the few chances he got against Valencia.

15. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    he has the coolest hair on the team-I tried the kid and play do back in college and came out looking like MC Search before it fell over.

anyone remember Kenny Walker from the Knicks in the 80's-now that dude had some hair.

in all seriousness, he's getting better, he just needs some PT

16. Htownkraut

Htownkraut Member

Jan 12, 2011
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting to see how much playing time Gumby gets the rest of the season. I think he has potential to be a very good player and I think he has bought into Dom's philosophy of relentless energy and work rate. Dom did very well in the supplemental draft with Ownby and Gumby.

17. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited for this game because it marks the restart of the season after this short break (at least for the Dynamo). The season will really get going for the Dynamo with 23 games left plus four CCL fixtures.

I expect the Dynamo to win as I do everytime they play -- but it won't hurt their season if they lose. This is a tough road game because VCW is much improved and has no one away on International duty.

However, should the Dynamo win it will be a tremendous boost to the season. Three more road points would relieve pressure to be perfect at home -- provide some margin for error.

A draw would be very positive as well.

The_Ponce repped this.
  18. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are we donating to Canada's national team and Vancouver isn't? That doesn't seem fair. In a show of respect, they should sit one of their best players out.

anderson repped this.
  19. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer By Ives:

JC507 repped this.
  20. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Brahma, was that you? :thumbsup:

21. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hehe, no, I had nothing to do with that. Actually, I didn't want anybody hurt, I just thought they should be good sportsmen and pull someone out for the game.

22. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I had plans on attending this game, just wish my schedule would of worked better. :oops:
    Should be an interesting game since the team is in better form than last year but missing key players.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We pretty much have a game or two every week/10 day period from here on out to the October. No more bye weeks, if you look at the MLS "week" as each Wed-Sun. So the rest period is behind us.

I watched a good deal of the Portland-Vancouver game a few weeks back and really wasn't that impressed with Vancouver (sadly with kids and a family, the ability to watch Eastern Conference games has been diminished due to family duties prior to bedtime). They were probably a little lucky to get a draw based on about 5 seconds of magic from Darren Mattocks. For as many forwards they have, they don't score a lot and I think Joe Cannon is well past his sell-by date in goal. Defense seems sort of slow.

But they have 5 wins already this year, they strike me as a 2012 version of the 2011 Philly squad - not that impressive, has some talent, seems more lucky then good for their record.

24. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Whitecaps have also suspended Long Tan, a Chinese forward, after he tweeted about his frustrations about not playing:

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Game preview

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-06-10-van-v-hou/preview

Vancouver does have a couple of international absences. Of course they left Watson off that list so accuracy might be an issue.