Pre/PBP/Post Houston Dynamo v. Kansas City, Wednesday, July 18

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jul 16, 2012.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2012.
  1. Dynamo win

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Dynamo lose

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Kei Kamara gets to shoot wildly in the general direction of goals in a whole new stadium.

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo v. Sporting Kansas City
    When: Wednesday, July 18 @ 7:30 PM CDT
    Where: BBVA Compass Stadium
    Records: Sporting Kansas City (11-5-3) 36 PTS, 1st in EAST
    Houston Dynamo (7-5-7) 28 PTS, 5th in EAST
    TV: Fox Sports Houston/KHLM-43
    Radio: 790/850

This is the 2nd meeting between the two teams in a couple of weeks. The first game in Kansas City on July 7 was a 0-0 tie. The final matchup will be on September 14 in KC.

KC's last game was a 2-0 win in Columbus on July 14. Sporting is 3-1-1 in their last five league games with 7 goals scored and 2 allowed in those games. Surprisingly they won all three road games in that stretch but failed to win at home. On the road overall this year Kansas City is 5-3-2.

Houston is 2-1-2 in the last five league matches with 8 goals scored and 5 allowed in those games. The Dynamo have not allowed a goal in the last 314 minutes. The Dynamo are 5-0-3 at home this season. The home undefeated streak is now at 17 games.

anderson repped this.
  2. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My main concern after this previous great win vs DC is who is going to replace Cameron if he is indeed gone before Wednesday?

3. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Peter Vermes and one of his assistants walk up between Sections 205 and 204 last night on the way to, I assume, one of the booths at the top of the stands. I didn't recognize them at first because they were just wearing unmarked black shirts. In addition to some scouting, I'm sure Vermes was really there for the St. Arnold's Lawnmower and some tacos.

Fiorentina lives! and Sachsen repped this.
  4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Kansas City @ Houston, all-time:

04/08/06 HOU 1-2 KCW
    09/01/07 HOU 1-1 KCW
    11/10/07 HOU 2-0 KCW, playoffs
    09/07/08 HOU 3-1 KCW
    10/04/09 HOU 1-1 KCW
    05/01/10 HOU 3-0 KCW
    04/06/11 HOU 0-1 SKC (aet), U.S. Open Cup qualifier @ College Station
    07/16/11 HOU 1-1 SKC

3-2-3 overall with 12 goals scored and 7 allowed.

5. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    By the way . . the tacos were very edible and you truly get a good sized plate for 10 bucks.

6. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three straight shutouts.

Can we get four? That's a tall order against KC but I believe it can be done, especially if we start with the same back four plus Cameron in front.

Is it possible we start Ching & Carr up front with Bruin & Kandji getting a rest/coming off the bench?

Looks like Moffatt may have to wait a bit to get back into the lineup.

One thing I did like about last night's match was the depth on the bench.

Ching, Carr, Ownby, Deric, Creavalle, Sturgis, Watson. Kinnear has some choices with that group doesn't he?

I'll go for a 0-0 or 1-0 to the Dynamo with Hall's shutout streak staying in tact, but just barely.

7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    was he the drunk guy trying to start the wave late in the 2nd half at the bottom of 204?

8. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

Did someone call the cops on that guy? There usually aren't any cops over there.

9. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
  10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's the best deal in concessions.

11. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ha! you must sit right by me.

i believe so and let me tell ya that is just plain sad/embarrassing. there was a very young looking BBVA staff member that immediately appeared to contact someone on his radio. next thing we know there are 2 police officers that appear out of nowhere, one using a hand to lean on the taser on his belt the entire time in what i interpreted as being very aggressive body language. dudes, its a frkn drunk guy trying to start a frkn wave. no need to call the SWAT.

^^^ i bolded the above because i know there are both BBVA employees and FO personnel that read these threads. we sit in a generally quite, family area near the 1%ers among season tix holders we recognize from Roberston. it will only take 1 bad experience to sour the attitudes of long time Dynamo supporters. don't make me use my rolodex!

The_Ponce repped this.
  12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    outside of the Club food -- you are right.

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I meant for us proletarians. ;)

cfig repped this.
  14. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    It doesn't surprise me, he wants this game badly.
    Also evidence for this is that he did not start his top 11 for the game this past weekend in hopes of giving us a 'fresher' counter punch.
    Please note that KC has got some defense - I think fewest goals allowed in the league so far...
    This game will be a physical defensive battle - especially if we don't open ourselves up to thier counter attacking strengths.
    I hope that Luis plays as well against KC midfield as he did against Dewayne last night - he was in his hip pocket alot.

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo FO tried to comp Vermes the tacos but he said "I can't let you do that, you already gave me Kei Kamara for Abe Thompson. I owe you a lifetime supply of KC BBQ everytime you visit Livestrong Park".

cfig, txsn, jvilla07 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This a "Show-Me" game for a team sort of from the Show-Me State (border town).

Big game. With all top 5 teams playing 19 games thus far, other than a slight home field advantage for the Dynamo (all of which we use up this week), the table is pretty good read on where teams stand and if we want to finish top 3 this is the kind of game we need to win, not tie (and certainly not lose).

KC game straight to Houston from Columbus, so you know they mean business. But this feels like a 0-0 or 1-0 slugfest to me. Just can't see this one being a 3-2 game.

17. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by "KC BBQ", he means low-quality beef with too much fat. Most overrated grilled meat ever.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he means "Abe Thompson Quality" beef :D

jvilla07 repped this.
  19. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting point about their lineup change. Here are their lineups (from the game summaries at their site):

On 7/14 at Columbus:

Jimmy Nielsen©;​
    Chance Myers, Aurelien Collin, Matt Besler, Seth Sinovic;​
    Paulo Nagamura, Roger Espinoza, Peterson Joseph (Michael Thomas 72);​
    Jacob Peterson (C.J. Sapong 38), Soony Saad (Teal Bunbury 52), Kei Kamara​

Subs not used: Eric Kronberg, Julio Cesar, Michael Harrington, Graham Zusi​

On 7/11 at Philly in the USOC:

Jimmy Nielsen©;​
    Paulo Nagamura, Roger Espinoza, Graham Zusi;​
    Kei Kamara, Teal Bunbury (C.J. Sapong 64), Jacob Peterson​

Subs not used: Eric Kronberg, Julio Cesar, Michael Harrington, Peterson Joseph, Soony Saad, C.J. Sapong, Michael Thomas​

And from their game against us on 7/7 at home:

Jimmy Nielsen©;​
    Paulo Nagamura, Roger Espinoza, Graham Zusi;​
    Kei Kamara (Soony Saad 81), C.J. Sapong (Teal Bunbury 68), Jacob Peterson​

Subs not used: Eric Kronberg, Michael Harrington, Konrad Warzycha, Michael Thomas, Peterson Joseph​

As an aside, I think it's interesting that they start Nagamura and Espinoza, who I think most people would view as two defensive midfielders. Espinoza can contribute a bit more to the attack, but I think he's still basically a defensive mid. This is the team that people often suggest have the 4-3-3 figured out pretty well, and they do it with two defensive mids. Just food for thought.

20. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    Will Espinoza be with the team on Wednesday, or will he be on his way to London for the Olympics. I know they are riding him hard right now before the Olympics. If he doesn't play, they will lack a spark in the midfield.

Losing Peterson to an injury could hurt them because he has played really well lately (scored against Columbus and hit the post against Houston.)

I am calling it a 0-0 draw until Brigitte Nielsen gets sent off for going Flava Flav on Mac Kandji! Then I predict a 3-0 win for the Dynamo. Someone keep me updated while I am watching the best team in the world take Seattle apart!

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell yeah. I want in on that.

22. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I come in peace! Love the fourth option in the poll.
    The lineup changes at Columbus were mainly intended to avoid a letdown after the USOC win in Philadelphia, although Vermes probably did have an eye on this match-up.
    Espinoza typically plays more of a box-to-box role, with Zusi primarily attacking and Cesar/Nagamura primarily defending.
    My understanding is that Espinoza is now gone for the Olympics, so Nagamura will presumably slide into his spot, with either Cesar or Thomas taking over as the defensive midfielder; or perhaps Nagamura stays at DM and Joseph gets another start. Cesar has been curiously absent lately--not hurt, in the 18, but not on the field at all. My theory is that he is being kept on the bench as the backup centerback as long as Olum is unavailable due to injury.

What are the chances that Cameron gets transferred before Wednesday? We would not mind waiting to see him again until our friendly against Stoke City next week. Either way, I concur with those suggesting that a scoreless draw is the most likely outcome. Then we can settle the season series at LSP in September!

DNez2001 and DonJuego repped this.
  23. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll say this -- I'm really liking the SKC v HOU series. These games have been played in a good spirit. Everyone plays hard but I don't find too much disrespect unless you go back to the Brian Ching/Aurelian Colin stuff. Series has featured some Red Cards, but generally for stupid stuff rather than malicious stuff. Stupid stuff that came from intensity.

I have tremendous respect for SKC and The Cauldron. They do a tremendous job in their mid-Westernly sort of way. (And that is not meant to denigrate but acknowledge distinction with the unique sound of TA/EB/Etc.)

My mouth is watering for this game. Or is it my new found pre-game Burrito?

Sachsen repped this.
  24. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Espinoza will be gone with the Honduran olympic team? So we have a chance!!!!!

25. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of a sudden shit got real with y'all as well? Let me at them!!!!!!! I'll make some nice remarks about their uniforms and get them to laugh...then they'll cool down. o_O