Pre/PBP/Post: CCL Quarterfinals, Santos Laguna v Houston Dynamo, Wednesday, March 13

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 6, 2013.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2013.
  1. Dynamo advance

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. Dynamo fail to advance

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Tim Hanley? Coach of the Year!

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    When: Wednesday, March 12 @ 7:00 PM CDT
    Where: Estadio Corona, Torreón, Mexico
    League Records : Santos Laguna (4-2-3) 15 PTS, 6th place in Liga MX
    Houston Dynamo (1-0-0) 3 PTS, 3rd in EAST
    TV: Fox Soccer Channel/Galavision
    Radio: 850

The Dynamo won the first leg, 1-0, in Houston. That extends the Dynamo home unbeaten streak to 32 games in all competitions.

The knockout rounds are total goals with the first tie-breaker being away goals. If the game in Mexico ends 1-0 for Santos then overtime will be played but the away goal rule will not be used.

Santo's next game is Friday, March 8 when they host Atlante. They follow the CCL match with an away fixture at Atlas on March 16.

The Dynamo do not play again until the fixture in Torreón. The next game after that is in Frisco, TX on Sunday, March 17.

The CCL semifinals start on April 2.

anderson repped this.
  2. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    I'll settle for a draw :)

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I just realized that I made a mistake on the thread title. It should be "Santos Laguna v. Houston Dynamo". Maybe a moderator can fix that. Thanks.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to imagine Santos not scoring at home. I think we will need a goal to give ourselves a shot at a 2-2 aggregate draw, with an away goal tiebreaker for us.

We won't survive parking the bus like we did at SKC in the playoffs, although that strategy was somewhat dictated by score and the fact that we were playing our third game in 8 days. We'll have fresher legs for this game.

The key is avoiding the onslaught that caves the roof in early, like we had at Pachuca in 2007 where we frittered a 2 goal lead in like 20 minutes. We came back to force extra time but had nothing in the tank (of course, decent reffing in that game would have helped).

crocken repped this.
  5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not being at 8,000 feet like in Pachuca will also help. Torreón is a little over 3,000 ft.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the stats on the MLS MatchDay app, possession was 52% Santos to 48% Dynamo last night. It won't be that close in Torreon, but we have to keep some extended possession to relieve pressure on our defenders.

7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    This is in itself impressive. Whether a Mexican clubs wins or loses they still win possession 60-40.

8. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Slight loss in possession + more corners + more shots on goal and you wonder why Santos thought they outplayed Houston last night.

9. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    another week of practice/training/meshing does us wonders, a match against a team crawling out of relegation might do them harm.

i think a 2-2 aggregate isn't impossible.

10. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate comparisons to other teams who have sucked FMF teams ***** previously. From what I recall we never have bowed out horribly to other FMF teams, we've held our own quite nicely and we've never been blown-out by an FMF teams or actually not many MLS teams for that matter. (someone correct me if i'm wrong) It bothers the sh** out of me all the crap were getting because Santos has blown out OTHER MLS teams. I hope we beat them 2-0 so they can cry and all of the MLS reporters as well. F*** tied aggregate away goals I just want to beat them at their house.

**Disclaimer** I will also be just as happy if we do beat them by tied aggregate but away goal victory.

ImaPuppy and JC507 repped this.
  11. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Do you consider 0-3 a blowout? We've had plenty of those against Mexican teams.

Don't worry about it. Assuming Kinnear plays his best eleven in Santos, we're going to learn a lot about our team and where we stand compared to strong Mexican teams. If our best guys get blown out, then it's either a fluke or it means there is something the Mexican teams have that we just don't. In the past, we've fielded weak teams that have lost bravely or poorly but it's rare for us to really throw our best guys into a competition like this. I'll say what I said before the MLS Cup last year. Let's field our best eleven and have them field their best eleven and let the chips fall where they may.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  12. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do. What games were these?

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    There was a 3-0 against Saprissa*, a 3-1 against Pumas, a 3-0 against Atlante, and a 4-0 against Atlante in SuperLiga.

*not a Mexican team.

14. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
  15. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good thing is this is early in the season, our schedule isn't congested, at least not yet, and Dom pretty much started our best 11 our last game against santos. I think he starts our best 11 or close to it. I was actually surprised to see 10 of the same 11 start Tuesday from Saturday.

16. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevermind. Stupid Tapatalk.

17. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2/24/09 vs. Atlante T 1-1 Robertson Stadium CONCACAF Champions League

This was my first Dynamo game attended ever that's probably why I don't remember the blowouts but I also was not there to see the Dynamo win Championships which suck. I attended that whole first year on and off and then season tickets in 10'.

Dynamo did horrible marketing back then because the only reason I found out they were a pro-team was because I won tickets to the aforementioned game. That and I wasn't into Social media for my late teen years early 20's.

18. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately I'll miss the first half while in class, but an early Good Luck to you guys! :thumbsup:

19. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Right there with you buddy! It drives me nuts that they compare us to the likes of Seattle and TFC...c'mon TFC... I'd like to think that people understand that we should never be counted out of a playoff/knockout tournament. We have proven to be a menacing side in a two legged home and away series time and time again.

We're not Seattle and we sure as hell aren't TFC. We're a fast, physical, united and a humble team with a great deal of experience and are more than capable of getting a result. Still, I guess we'll have to show everyone....AGAIN!

ChrizG13 and JC507 repped this.
  20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the @clubsantoslagun tweets this afternoon, it makes me sad I can't go to the game. I know it's a great stadium, and they've been tweeting pics of fans getting their tix for today's game. It would be great to go next week. If things were different, it would be a perfect Spring Break road trip.

The_Ponce repped this.
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they hand out kevlar vests as promotional items?

22. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think there is anyway the Dynamo schedule Pachuca for one of those friendlys this year?

23. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    http://www.houstonpress.com/related/to/Murder+and+Homicide/

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've come to realize that there is nothing you like about Houston or the United States - so why are you still in this country if you are here? I'm sure you could do a residency swap with someon from Torreon.

The murder rate in Houston is 11.8 per 100,000. The murder rate in Torreon is 68 per 100,000. At least come up with some statistic that supports your argument

25. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly the Charities Cup is going to be with Stokes City if it all works out. That was according to a tweet today from Lovell, but I've heard that from others the past week or so.

And hopefully Brek and Geoff won't break anything as soon as the papers are signed....

JC507 repped this.