Pre-Match Rituals...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chengb02, Jul 11, 2005.

1. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    It's the off-season and there's not too much to talk about, so I just wanted to throw this out there as I think it would be fun (and perhaps even beneficial to some who may be headed to the Home of Football for one last hurrah). Do you have any special or superstitious rituals or routines before an Arsenal match? Does it differ a lot depending on if the games at Highbury or away or if you're watching it on tv? To expand it, does anyone know any weird superstitions of our players?

2. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    I never wear my jersey on days that we play. I find that we always lose. I just do it the day after.

3. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Have to have my eggs and be wearing my Adams kit, though now that I have a yellow Bergkamp jersey, I started wearing that when we were away at the end of the season. My scarf is also with me.

4. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    If I'm at home (aka not at the pub) it's a morning pint in my Arsenal pint glass on my Arsenal coaster. Further pints will be poured if we're in need of a goal, no matter the hour. Fresh pints will also be purchased at the pub if a goal is necessary. It's worked many more times than I can count. ;)

5. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Do we really win those games or do your friends just tell you that when you wake up?

6. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I only wear the training shirt to games and never put it on before we have left the pub and we are walking to the ground. The other one is that on away days, Fleetwood Mac must always be played in the car on the way up to the game.

*Rick watch's with amusement to see everyone who has said they are coming to an away game, suddenly change their mind.... :D *

7. mavandgoose723

mavandgoose723 New Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Corvallis, Or
    I wear my kit from the unbeaten season. No other shirt on match days.

8. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    I get really nervous.

9. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Meet the chaps in the pub for a bit of lunch and a few pints, travel to the ground, always entering by the same turnstile.

Post match, several more pints,....why am I overweight ?

10. making tea atthe BBC

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Mmm... Fleetwood Mac could it be "don't go thinkin bout tomorrow"

I just sing the Thierry Henry song all match long

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I always tap the top of the turnstile when I enter the ground and then wait until the whistle blows before putting on my strip. Not sure why.

12. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    at least put some trousers on ricardo.... ;)
    and you have ruined fleetwood mac in that i think of your ritual now whenever i hear a FM tune...

13. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing like a little Fleetwood Mac to get us pumped up for Sp*rz away! :D

When I lived in Miami Beach, it was put on my Aresenal coach's polo, up to the pub 15 minutes before kickoff, and the corner bar stool. Order a cup of tea. 10 minutes before the half, order the full brekkie and eat during the half so I won't miss any action. Then start in on the pints. I did this religiously for the last Double season. Now it is just try to watch the match without too much interuption from the kid! :D

14. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, but only if you promise to play Tusk the entire way up to Villa Park. Otherwise I may have to try one of those British Rail Football Specials. :)

15. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    :confused: I thought you wanted to go to the game, not get stuck in some "interesting "place in our transport network..... :D

16. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just please tell me that the disc is not....Rumors.

17. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    nope, it's Say You Will - the new album!!! :D

18. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    Hmmm.. do -you- usually pass out after two pints? I've only seen spurs fans do that...

19. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    No, but you said that further pintS will be poured if we are need of a goal, so that would be 90 pints in an ideal game ;)

20. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Well we'll see later this season......... ;) :p

21. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While not a pregame ritual, it is a ritual all the same: if we have not scored a goal by half, I put on my Arsenal sweatshirt and we generally end up winning!
    Although that will not be the case at WHL since I am not allowed to wear my colors..... :( except I will have a couple of strapping fellows with me and I might try it! :D

PS Don't have a heart attack Rick! I am kidding! :p

22. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting on the Arsenal sweatshirt at WHL may not be a good idea, but feel free to take off as many shirts as you need!!! ;)

23. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My ritual on game day is always the same: I like to wake up before the game starts, and I always remember to turn the TV on before kick-off ;) .... oh, and after the first five minutes I always find a new reason why I hate Man U.

24. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'll be sure to bring Ed a few Fleetwood Mac Bootlegs for your extra enjoyment. The trip to Villa will be interesting, I think I will ask Henrik if I can borrow his car :D

25. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As long as the boys are winning, I won't was my shirt. I went 49 with the same smelly shirt last year. But one an EPL match is lost I toss it in the washer and select a different jersey.

No matter where I watch the match, I have to have my jersey on. If it's a weekday match I put in on at lunch and watch or listen to the match.