Pre-Match / Match / Post-Match Thread - Toronto FC at FC Dallas - April 19, 2009 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Apr 12, 2009.

1. smenge

smenge New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    If you like Scotch, tripe and the wind blowing up your kilt, you got the job.

2. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I said it before and ill say it again...id like to see something like this...

----------Frei--------------
    --Wynne--Serioux--Robinson---Brennan
    --Cronin--Dero--Guevara--Smith
    -----Vitti-----Dichio---

to start...
    sub forwards you got Ibby and Barrett for one of them, likely dichio

Ricketts for Smith...or if we have way too much trouble having Robbo dealing with the back four then you bring in Harmse or Velez in early enough and take off Smith and move Robbo back to mid.

No one says it has to stay this formation..just want to see Robbo as a stopper type back. If no, make a move and rejuggle..but you can do it 30 minutes in or so if it doesnt work...

I think its worth a shot to see against Dallas on the road

3. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    but again, it will all fall apart if its long ball after long ball (oh well with dichio in the long ball may work for a goal)

4. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'd probably go with that starting XI, too. Harmse should enjoy warming the bench, because he isn't a starter, period.

5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I just don't see us as a being better with Dichio on the pitch as a starter. And I don't think we are dire enough defensively to insert Robbo at the back, yet.

As much as Barrett has had trouble scoring, what he brings to the game in a tactical sense is the speed and hustle to wrong foot the opponent's back line - and keep them on their toes. Dichio brings a static game with lots of ticky tacky fouls (deserved or not) that slows the game and usually results in change of possession too - and allows oponents to organize their defense against us more easily.

As for Robbo at the back, I don't see how this benfits us at all. Sure he had an awesome game in Colorado last year at the back, but do we really want to subtract our best ball winning midfielder to shore up the back line?

Based on Carver's optimisitic comments from last game I'd say we see a very similar lineup to last weekend, with Vitti replacing Ibby in the lineup and DeRo moving to LM.

6. alexb746

alexb746 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I have to agree with all of that. You need a ball winner in the middle and Cronin has showed a lot of promise as a holding mid, but he's not at that level just yet. Bringing Robbo back would probably just expose the backline further by taking away the buffer between them and attacking midfielders.

As for the line-up change, what you're proposing sounds pretty likely. If Vitti doesn't start I think I will throw my chair at the television. Hopefully he is fit.

7. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is DeRo fit? what's this i hear about his hamstring? i'm gonna' have to bring a sub off the bench in the fantasy game if he cant go- no more trades this week :(

8. Citizen Ted

Citizen Ted Member

May 17, 2007
    Toronto
    He damaged his hamstring near the end of the Dallas game and hasn't been practicing so I doubt he'll be in the lineup Sunday. MLS match preview has him as "questionable" but that means nothing really.

9. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    By the sounds of things he will be lucky to be on the bench for the game, could mean more Barrett :(

10. alexb746

alexb746 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Maybe Barrett is due.

Then again, maybe Eusébio will come back to Toronto. At 67 he's probably still better than Barrett right now.

11. Masaydo

Masaydo Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Looks like they haven't yet forced those of you without Gol to order it just yet.

12. TFCviaUK

TFCviaUK Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I don't have GolTV... does anyone know if the match can be streamed from anywhere... even if its post game?

13. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I have MLS Match Center, which is $20 US for the entire season, so I'm good.

14. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    For roughly the cost of MLS Match Center (or large two beers at BMO) you can have GolTV for the rest of the season. I'd say that's worth it considering all the other properties GolTV televises. Though it does have the worst commercials on TV.

15. Citizen Ted

Citizen Ted Member

May 17, 2007
    Toronto
    Never mind the cost of a beer or two beers bud--where are my posts? You just arbitrarily delete what you don't like?

16. ErnieE

ErnieE Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Oakville Ontario
    "Think I will throw my chair at the T.V."

Why damage a good chair?:D

17. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    C'mon Ted. You know personal attacks are a violation of the TOS.

18. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If Harmse gets a red card during the match, get the worst lawn chair you can find at your house and throw that at the TV! :D

19. alexb746

alexb746 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I have to agree that's a bit silly. We're all adults here. Well most of us are I think... There no need for these censoring shenanigans.

To be honest, I don't think anyone was gonna take you overly seriously anyways.

20. Citizen Ted

Citizen Ted Member

May 17, 2007
    Toronto
    There no need for this no way bro you are a smart one-

Take me seriously? Of course not--that's why they felt they had to delete the post . . . because they didn't take me seriously:eek:

21. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Barrett is due for some sitting time, but since it's a low pressure road game maybe best to play him anyway then sit him for the next home match if he doesn't deliver.

22. Citizen Ted

Citizen Ted Member

May 17, 2007
    Toronto
    Bingo! And that's what I've been saying but people want to jump on my head and delete my hard-hitting truth-telling posts that Atlantictfc's a dummy, even the mods are ganging up and bullying me :(.

23. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's good practice for us! :cool:

I'm warming up for my next trip to Columbus. :D

B

24. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My understanding is that GOL TV is supposed to be showing the game for free tonight starting at 6:30. Can anyone confirm?

25. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    What concerns me is suppose he does score a goal by some fluke or from one foot away ... does that then mean he gets to go another 5 games ...