Pre/In/Post: RBNY @ Revs, 7/8, 7pm

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jul 3, 2012.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SD, anything less and I'd be shocked. :)

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I'll take it one game at a time and savor this one for the moment.

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't mistake my admiration for the substance of the rebuilding process for my thinking this team has regained it's status as one of the MLS top tier clubs. I think the potential for that is at least another year away. No. I'm just saying the Club has pushed they rebuilding process about as fast as is realistically possible within the limitations facing MLS Clubs. IMO this roster is still a work in progress with a lot of tweaking yet to be done but I think they are not only on track but doing a lot better than I thought was possible. It's been fun to watch the pieces coming together.

3. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Good win - glad to see the Revs won a game that they should have, given that NYRB had a totally punchless lineup in there. Still a scary moment with Cooper pinging the post. They seemed to expend all of their energy after a really strong first half, and honestly they looked like they were barely hanging on until Shalrie came in. As much as I'm a fan of Benny, that really was the right call. Shalrie was really effective- maybe a sub role is best for him, either that he really does have a strong psychological effect on the rest of the team when he's one the field.

Tough to get a good read on Bengtson but glad he gets in good positions to poach. I'm a little less enthusiastic about the goal than most because it should have been waved off - Sene steamrolled a defender off the ball on his run.

Finally, credit to Nguyen for coming up big tonight - great strike when the rest of the team wasn't converting easier chances.

Now, we move on to TFC where we have a chance to move up to 5th with a game in hand if Columbus loses next week.

4. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed, getting players to buy into that style of game and philosophy overall takes months, even years. Heaps is on the right track and the team is very young and getting better and better. It's important he sticks to and builds on the core he has established now.

5. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who was at the game willing to talk about the formation? I see people say it was 4-2-3-1 but MLS site has it 4-1-2-1-2. I had to watch on tv and you can't tell much from tv and the heat maps are inconclusive, too -- according to the heat maps Rowe, Nguyen, Sims, Benny, and Sims all roamed all over the place.

Heaps talked post-game about having Sene on a wing to open up space. So can someone who could see the whole field describe what was gong on, before the subs and after?

Thanks in advance.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was a 4-2-3-1. Same after the subs except Fagundez played on the left at the end and Sene switched over to the right.

7. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so was it this?

. . . Brettschneider. . .
    Sene . . Nguyen . . Rowe
    . . Benny . . Sims . .

Interesting, btw, that Lechner didn't make the bench. Guess Barnes was cover for CB and outside backs, both?

8. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, it was definitely 4-2-3-1 at least for most of the game, though it seemed like once Sharlie and Bengtson got in that Sene was staying farther up top. I'd be curious to see some varation of a 4-4-2 with Bengtson and Sene up top. Seems to me like Sene is at his best when he doesn't need to track back too far, and he's so good when he gets some open space I'd like to see what he can do staying up top and playing off Bengtson more.

Also, I don't know if this'll become regular or not, but props to Heaps for sitting Shalrie and Reis. I know some have been calling for it, but it does take some balls to sit your DP/former teammates. Just shows that he really has a command of this team, and it'll remind everybody that they have to compete for their spots. Color me excited for the second half of the season.

One other note: really bizarre box score. Red Bulls 62% possession, 12 shots, 3 on targer; Revs 38%, 15 shots, 9 on goal. Red bulls dominated possession in the first half but I don't know if they got a shot on target.

9. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS stats at half time had NYRB with 63% of possession and 0 shots (and obviously, then, 0 on target).

10. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reasonable enough Doc, we've completely revamped our offense this year which has been pretty nice compared to last year. Now that we can check that of our list, I think the defense is next in line for a major overhaul. Not one of our starting defenders has shown that they can be a consistently above average force back there, and we're never going to win anything with a leaky back four.

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The thing is, the defense is the hardest to work out in a system like this, especially since none of these guys have played much together before this season. They absorb all the pressure when the midfield gives up the ball or mistakes are made elsewhere on the pitch. I also think nerves are a big problem with this team, too many indecisive or panicky moments throughout the year but that is something that goes away with time. And that's also why Heaps just needs to keep playing this back four no matter what, especially since there really aren't any better alternatives.

patfan1 and Jon Martin repped this.
  12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Bingo. Quoted in full. I know NYCC was depleted, but the back line was very good; much more cohesive and less panicky than earlier this season. For me McCarthy could easily have been MOTM. He is becoming an intimidating tackler, and wins absolutely everything in the air.

13. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the Revs have now won more games this year than they did in all of 2011.

Achowat repped this.
  14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I think he needs to find better alternatives. With the right additions on the back line, it think this team could actually do something this year. Upgrade Tierney and land Boca and you could be looking at a team that could be a major threat in the playoffs. I am not sold on McCarthy and the play of Soares has dropped the last few games.

15. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang! I wanted to be the one to point that out! Anywho, we are already better than last year, if one were only to look at results and numbers!

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    much more enjoyable team to watch this year. The players actually look like they want to be there. I'll seriously consider getting a season ticket again if they add another player or two this summer

17. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're capable at times, but none of them are consistent enough.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to admit, especially after watching the replay, I was surprised Sene wasn't called for a foul on that.
    Crew would still have a game in hand after next weekend.

Great win for the boys. Before leaving, I had posted wondering if we'd be able to take it to RBNY's crap defense (thanks to injuries) and we did. We could/should have won this by even more.

We really have a great opportunity to have our first three game win streak in, what seems like, forever, with TFC and @ Montreal coming up. First things first, three points are a must on Saturday.

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another issue with this back four is they are all very young and still in the process of working the kinks, not only out of their games but of how to work together. I'm sure Heaps would gladly sign Boca or another linchpin defender to mentor these guys but I can't fault him for giving them games as a unit--THIS YEAR--to let them mature into a solid back line.

20. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be interested to see if anything comes of the fit Benny threw when he came off. He went at Heaps pretty strongly but it looked like Heaps put him in his place. Will Benny shut down and pout?

21. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the NYRB home game last year at around this time saw our DP striker Milton Caraglio's debut or first full start.... In which he scored two goals that were canceled out due to poor New England defending. He left the field shaking his head.

This year, our DP striker scored once, and the defense held! Progress!

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another huge step forward for Heaps. Three of the top 4 highest paid players* (after Lozano's departure) started the game on the bench, and the 4th got subbed out. That takes some stones.

* Assuming Bengston is a true DP and not a Caraglio-like one, putting him in the top 4.

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on. It's great to finally see some consistency out of his play on the back line. Being able to defend the cross needs work, otherwise it's been a solid June for the back 4 overall.

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who need evidence he's got attitude issues....just saying.

Benny, meet Bench. We don't need him.

25. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what else is exciting about this? And this team in general? The salaries.

Players who have put in solid performances and are making under / at 50k:

Shuttleworth, Nguyen, McCarthy, Guy, Diego, Lechner, Blakeschneider

Players making under 100 k:

Tierney, Soares, Simms, Rowe, Cardenas (barely)

That is a solid group with a pretty low cap hit. These young (except for Lechner), underpaid, players will be the future of this team. They are also mainly all domestic.

Bravo to heaps & co. for scrounging / re-arranging this lot to get the best out of them.